Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

Well after work yesterday i went to my local gun store and looked at the Ruger Security 9 and the Ruger LCP. Because of the price, I bought the Ruger LCP they had on consignment that came with 3 magazines and a IWB holster. Since I just bought my Vaquero Bisely a month ago I really did not want to spend much more than $350 for this weapon, and I got it for $249.00 with taxes and fees. My local gun store offers a 10% discount on accessories and ammo the day of purchase and the day of pick up, plus a range pass for 2 two hour sessions.

I think I will be happy with it, and I think I got a good deal on it, I just have to figure out what defensive ammo to get for it, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be good.

I think a .380 is considered a 9mm short, so suggestions for a good defensive ammo would be good, I am thinking hollow points but more interested in what brand.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I have an LCP but I consider it as a belly gun for close in work. I prefer FMJ as some hollow point .380 ammo just doesn't have enough oomph to open properly. But you may feel differently about that.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess that is one thing i didnt think about being used to a .357 and have to worry about it traveling beyond the intended target. i know the range ammo i bought for it last night is i think 90 grain FMJ

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHat type of ammo for a Ruger LCP .380?

I just purchased a Ruger LCP .380, and wondering what ammo to get for defensive purposes for it, i am thinking some kind of hollow point but being a .380 i am sure. i have always had full size .357 pistols.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Most will probably disagree, but on the rare occasion when I carry a .380, I have gone back to FMJ for guaranteed penetration. If you do carry hollow points, the Hornady XTP seems to be a bullet that will penetrate and (sometimes) expand too.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I carry the Browning 94gr FMJ w/ flat nosed profile. It feeds 100% reliably and can ensure consistent & adequate penetration which is important to me in a .380! Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have Hornady Critical Defense 90Gr. in mine when I carry it.Just be sure and try whatever you chose to make sure it feeds reliably.I have not had any trouble with ammo with my LCP,but Sometimes guns can be picky on feeding certain brands/nose profiles.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Two of the best choices in my opinion.
Also the American Gunner line of XTP is very affordable comparable to other ammo. $14 / 25 rds in my area. WWB has become more expensive. Wally world use to be a great source for that, but I'm sure you can find it online. 100 rd boxes use to be around $35 up to six months ago.
Affordable defensive ammo is one of the more overlooked parts of training I think.
At $1.25 a pop for some of the high end JHP stuff you have to wonder what you're really getting for your money, and can you afford to keep training with it.
Hornady 90 gr XTP or WWB flat point FMJ for me.
Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
When I had a LCP I reloaded for it , fmj and Hornady 90gr. xtp, the weapon functioned properly,

Reactions: ETXhiker

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
A hollow point (regardless of caliber) might expand but a hollow point that doesn't expand acts like a FMJ. But an FMJ can't expand. It would be most advantageous to do some research for how hollow points perform in ballistic gel to get an idea of how brands of bullets expand and/or penetrate. Remember that people wear clothing that can plug up a hollow point effectively making that hollow point behave like a FMJ.

Google can provide lots of sources but since we are discussing 380 here is just one resource:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I carry these...the Precision One in the gun and two reload mags:

https://precisiononeammunition.com/product/380-acp-90gr-hp-xtppnew/

And I carry two reload mags loaded with these:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/380-acp-p-65-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=18785708146745

I still have some good quality FMJ's, but I've been carrying the Underwood loads in their place for a while now.

At some point, everybody who owns a 380 should watch this. His tests are better than any done by anybody.

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
I'm sure experts can prove me wrong, but imo Hornady American Gunner XTP is comparable to Precision One and a lot cheaper.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts