Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up my first snub revolver, my EDC is a P250sc in 9mm and I wanted to stick with the DAO trigger.

The first thing I noticed about this gun is how much better it looks in person and how sturdy it feels. I have a S&W Bodyguard 38 to compare it with and the LCR makes the Bodyguard feel cheap. The cylinder locks up much tighter and has much less play, it's a very sturdy feeling gun. The trigger doesn't stack and breaks cleanly. The trigger is not as buttery smooth as the P250 trigger but it's shorter with a more definitive break and smooth nonetheless.

The ease of carrying was the main reason for wanting a snubnose revolver. It's incredibly easy to conceal and comfortable. It doesn't poke me when I sit or bend over, it never pops out and it doesn't drag my pants down. I barely notice that I'm carrying a gun at all.

I put 50 rounds of 125gr Remington HTP 357 magnum ammo downrange. I would describe the recoil and "stout" and "violent". The hogue grip reduces muzzle flip considerably, which allows relatively fast follow up shots. However the entire frame of the gun is pushed into palm. The trigger has a sharp catch which pinched my finger once, and sliced open the blister on a later shot drawing some blood, I made a mental note to wear gloves next time I take it to the range. Despite the recoil and biting my finger, I actually enjoyed shooting the little hand-cannon. Accuracy was great at practical ranges and no malfunctions were observed.

In conclusion, if you aren't too sensitive the LCR 357 is a great choice, otherwise stick with the 38's or semi-automatics.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I like your story. It always makes me laugh when I read range reports on first time 357 snub range reports. I pinched my finger broke a blister drew some blood but it was great :) I carry an shoot snubs weekly, at the range I only reload from strips to keep in practice but I only shoot .38 sp at the range to keep in practice. For cc I use .38 low flash low smoke buffalo bore.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Love my LCR in .38. Have some Doubletap 158 gr + P SWCs due in for it...900 fps out of a snub! Should be "fun."

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I had the .357 LCR but like most I mostly carry .38 +P and the extra weight of the .357 model over a .38 +P model was not worth it to me since I mostly pocket carry. I also have a 11.4 oz. S&W Airlite J-Frame and I too get a kick out of the reviews I read. I am in my sixties and can shoot a few cylinders of 125 gr. .357 Golden Sabers through it without bleeding or putting it down after one shot. What a difference it is living in a retirement community where people were raised differently in their generation. We have people in their 70's shooting .44 magnums for fun and I know some very physically fit younger men who think the recoil of a 9mm in a CZ75 is too much.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
My LCR is now my favorite carry gun.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Got one of those myself. Excellent little gun.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Those DT SWCs are very nice.

Shot them with my Dad out of his K-38 a few years ago.

I have my KCLR with 38+P carry load of the Hornady 125 gr. XTP, and Remington 125 gr. SJHP for practice.

I found that with using my tritium front sight, It was shooting a bit low with the 110 gr. FTX.

The 125s shoot much better if having a bit more recoil but nothing like 158s out of the LCRs
or the Magnum loads.

I wouldn't mind getting some more Double Tap 110 gr. TAC-XPs as they have shot the very best out
of all .38+P or Magnum loads so far.

Very accurate with minimal recoil and shoot to point of aim.

I'm real advocate of the DT/BARNES Tac-XP and the BARNES X bullet in general.

The only real drawback is a higher price than a bonded or conventional JHP but the prices have been coming down
a bit, at least for reloaders.

Reactions: Kennydale

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to pick up a box of 158 gr. buffalo bore 357 when the wifey isn't looking, I also want a box of 200 gr. hardcast for when I'm out in bear country. I'm looking forward to testing both those rounds in the LCR.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
My LCR357 is my most carried gun. Sometimes it's a back up gun. Other times its a main carry and backed up by a 442. I carry Corbon 125 g. 357Ammo. I practice with reloads that somewhat duplicate the Corbons recoil. It is not too punishing and I can shoot it well.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I had the LCR in .357 and liked it. I liked the idea of being able to load different rounds, from shellshot to .38 to .357. At one point I was thinking of carrying it with a shotshell in the first chamber - a deterrent that was less-lethal - maybe for use as a dog deterrent or something. But, sadly, we sold it - probably a mistake. I like the way it slammed into my palm like a mini-cannon (I wore gloves, yes). Good thread, OP thanks!

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
.357 magnum from a LCR is as pleasurable as a root canal. I used to have the .357 version but after the second box full of .357 I decided I'd never shoot that round out of the LCR again. I traded it for the lighter more practical .38 special version.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just experienced my first .357 through a 3" SP101. It was manageable but noteworthy...I flinch thinking about running it through an LCR and I wince thinking about running it through an airweight...

·
Registered
907 Posts
As much as I don't really "need" another revolver, the LCR is on my *want* list. Probably be the 38Spl. version.
I would like to see them build one in 32 H&H Magnum.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
As much as I don't really "need" another revolver, the LCR is on my *want* list. Probably be the 38Spl. version.
I would like to see them build one in 32 H&H Magnum.
If it was about need I wouldn't have as many as I do, but I also would like the LCR in .38 special. Used to be .357 magnum, but I'm standing on the shoulders of the giants who went before me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts