Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep telling myself that I have enough guns, but the new LCRx in 357 is mighty tempting. Has anyone had any experience with the LCRx?

Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Only in handling really, so I may be of no help whatsoever. I've found the LCRs to be even harder to grip and hold onto than most subcompact autos out there. I'm lucky to get a solid two-finger grip on the things, so I darn sure wouldn't want .357s going off in it.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only in handling really, so I may be of no help whatsoever. I've found the LCRs to be even harder to grip and hold onto than most subcompact autos out there. I'm lucky to get a solid two-finger grip on the things, so I darn sure wouldn't want .357s going off in it.
I've been avoiding the gun stores for more than a year, so I haven't looked at one. I have fairly large hands, so I'm sure it would be an issue for me, too. I like the idea of a compact 357 that I can put in my pocket when I go hiking, but I have to be able to hang on to it, too. Right now I'm carrying an SP101. It's a little heavy for pocket carry and it's not fun to shoot for any length of time. I guess it's probably as good a compromise on size and power that I'm going to find.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
I've got a 3" LCRx in .38 Special, and I really like it.

The .38 is fine, though. JMHO, but the SP101 is as small & light as I care to go with a .357.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
If you don't think the sp101 is fun to shoot you probably wont like the LCR. We don't have the Lcrx but do have the Lcr. My wife seen in this past fall for a good price and wanted it. We finally took it out to the range about a month ago. She did not enjoy shooting it at all. She was just shooting regular 38spcl out of it. Its a lot lighter than the the sp101. I honestly don't know if I'd want to shoot .357 mags out of it. I think one of her issues is though is she has gotten use to semies and just didn't like the way the trigger felt. She shot to cylinders and sais she didn't like it. :confused:

My 17 yo is interested in it so once I get her back out to the range I'll let her try it out. If she doesn't like it , it may just become a bug for me for when I carry my sp101. I just have a hard time warming up to it so I didn't bother shooting it yet.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
My wife has a LCR 357 and I've shot it a bit with full power 140 gr loads. It's not a joy to shoot but it is slightly less uncomfortable than my 340PD. The trigger pull (DAO) is distinctly different that the Smith triggers I'm used to, it's not bad, just different. They make good BUGs but I don't think of it as first-line. The wife doesn't mind carrying it, it doesn't weigh a ton. With respect to the LCRx, I'm personally not so keen on having an external hammer on a 1.87" barreled revolver, such a short sight plane that it seems moot and the hammer could be a liability for draw from pocket carry.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I too have handled and hopefully will get to shoot this weekend, the 3" LCRx in .38+P. If I had the option of launching .357's out of an LCR(x), I think I would want the full Hogue Monogrip that is found on the 3" model.

I can tolerate my SP101 for a while at the range, but even that lil boat anchor with .357's tuckers me out.

Personally, I'm holding out for a .357 3" LCRx. Shoot a cylinder or two to know POI, and leave it stoked. I think that would make for an ideal hiking gun, but then again I don't hike much.

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Registered
863 Posts
I must be a wimp I can't even handle +p 38's out of my LCR. It's a great gun though I own several of them in different calibers. I went with the bigger grips to help with the +p ammo but the larger grip seemed to be getting in the way of my cc so back to to standard grip and lower recoil ammo.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
JMHO. The only reason to have a .357 that light is as a pocket BUG to the heavier .357 on your hip. That allows all your reloads to be .357 and not .38. It's an emergency backup, because you surely won't enjoy it!

If it's going to be your primary, load with .38, or just get the lighter .38 from the start.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I also found the stock grip a bit small for .357 magnum. Too much muzzle flip which hurt the web of the hand. You definitely had to ask yourself if you were up to the next shot. I then ordered the longer Hogue Monogrip, the one you can get three fingers on. It is definitely a whole lot more controllable, and doesn't hurt the web of the hand near as much due to reduced muzzle flip. My philosophy of use, as Nothinfancy would say, for the gun is as a coat pocket gun, and I've found the longer grip fits fine in the windbreaker I use mostly.

As described in another thread, I also made the Ruger ARX .357 mag round my defensive load. It is a lighter bullet and has less charge in the casing I'm guessing because the recoil is a bit less than my full power range ammo. So a bit less energy/shot power in return for more control on follow up shots. Still, more of everything than a 38 +P, which I've yet to try. May hurt to fire, but good news (and bad news) is, there's only 5 rounds to go in the defensive shoot.

I do wonder if the .327 model would have been better. It has 6 rounds of .327, which apparently is similar in energy to 38+P. Sounds like a good compromise of capacity and energy per round. I steered away from it due to cost and scarcity of the ammo, but in reality, it probably would have been just fine. Buy a bunch and tuck it away for a rainy day. It's not like I'm going to be shooting this gun as much as my others (certainly not in .357 mag full house, which is my range ammo).

·
Registered
642 Posts
With the right grip you should be fine i have an LCRX 1.87" 38 SPL shooting 158Gr range ammo after 50 rounds I'm no worse for wear. That and you won't be using Magnums full time you can also shoot 38 SPL +P

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have an lcrx 1.87 38spl and find it an easy gun to shoot for a snub. Recoil is lively with std loads and more so with +p, how ever it does have a fine d.a. trigger and when I want a pocket gun this is what I carry. This gun is as accurate as my other snubs. Good gun for the money. I like it.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
With 4 LCRs under my belt, you'd think I'd know a bit about them.

I do know that .357 Magnum out of the snubbie was no fun.

My LCR in .327 Federal Magnum was decent with the Speer
loads, but downright brutal with the 100 grain practice ammo..
and any .327 or .32 H&R ammo I could find locally was
ExPenSive!

The new Ruger American Compact 9mm that I traded the .327
for is much nicer.

A 3 inch LCRx 357 with the longer barrel and grip might be a bit better.

However, I'd also like to see them offer the LCRx in 9mm in both the
1/78 and 3 inch barrels.

Other than an ankle holster (which never worked out for me anyhow)
I'd opt for the 3 incher.

As I have hard time pulling the trigger on a LCR or SP-101 these days..
the larger grip of the 3 inch LCRx might help me.

At least with the LCRx hammer, I could shoot single action on the
days that my fingers were swelled up and hurting.

Should I opt for the LCRX in 3 inch .357 Magnum, I'd practice with
38, 38+P and carry 158 (or heavier) .357 Magnum for the woods.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have the LCR in .327 federal and it's my go to edc. I practice with the American eagle 85gr soft points and carry with buffalo bore 100gr hp. I find this gun to be very powerful but comfortable to shoot with this ammo and 6 shots too!

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Hmmmm....LCRx .357 Magnum 3" would be just about ideal for woods bummin' down here in my swamps !!!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
With 4 LCRs under my belt, you'd think I'd know a bit about them.

I do know that .357 Magnum out of the snubbie was no fun.

My LCR in .327 Federal Magnum was decent with the Speer
loads, but downright brutal with the 100 grain practice ammo..
and any .327 or .32 H&R ammo I could find locally was
ExPenSive!

The new Ruger American Compact 9mm that I traded the .327
for is much nicer.

A 3 inch LCRx 357 with the longer barrel and grip might be a bit better.

However, I'd also like to see them offer the LCRx in 9mm in both the
1/78 and 3 inch barrels.

Other than an ankle holster (which never worked out for me anyhow)
I'd opt for the 3 incher.

As I have hard time pulling the trigger on a LCR or SP-101 these days..
the larger grip of the 3 inch LCRx might help me.

At least with the LCRx hammer, I could shoot single action on the
days that my fingers were swelled up and hurting.

Should I opt for the LCRX in 3 inch .357 Magnum, I'd practice with
38, 38+P and carry 158 (or heavier) .357 Magnum for the woods.
You can get a Houge grip for that 1.87" snubbie just like the one for the 3" model i know I've got one and it works fine, no model number for the grip it just says made for LCR.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I like the feel of the larger Hogue grip on the 3 incher.

One local shop has a sweet lo
looking used 3 inch LCRx .38+P for
$375.

I like the idea of the hammer.

We were camping last year and a Black Bear came woofing and grunting around
our camp in the late hours.

I seen a glimpse with my flashlight.

My 9mm seemed pretty small.

A 158 gr. Soft Point .357 Magnum load or even cast bullet would be better.

I believe on member here has either shot a Black Bear or been with someone
who did off a back porch.

Two shots under the chin dropped the Bruin in its tracks:embarassed:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A friend of my father use to hunt black bears with a 357. His dogs would tree them and he would walk up and shoot them. He was great shot and pretty cool under pressure. I don't think that most hunters would consider a 357 as their first choice when hunting bear.

Reactions: wizard7mm08

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
A friend of my father use to hunt black bears with a 357. His dogs would tree them and he would walk up and shoot them. He was great shot and pretty cool under pressure. I don't think that most hunters would consider a 357 as their first choice when hunting bear.
I'd consider carrying my grandfather's Blackhawk if I run with dogs when I draw my next bear tag. If it gets treed and the shot is good, I would feel confident with a .357 to the back of the head. After all, I carry a .357 as black bear backup.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd consider carrying my grandfather's Blackhawk if I run with dogs when I draw my next bear tag. If it gets treed and the shot is good, I would feel confident with a .357 to the back of the head. After all, I carry a .357 as black bear backup.
I had a blackhawk forty years ago and got rid of it when I got shipped overseas. I regret getting rid of that gun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts