Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Looked at one of these at a local store today for $300. Being sold as used, but apparently it's a "factory second" that has some kind of cosmetic problem. The only thing I noticed was a bit of what might be rust on the side of the rear sight. Otherwise looked pretty much just like this one:

image.jpg

I'm pretty tempted; I've been wanting a good .22 pistol for a while, and I like the design and reputation of the Rugers. I also like the Luger-ish styling of the tapered barrel versions. (Oddly the store also had a lot of Lugers of various makes, probably fifteen or so - but from $1600 up, that's not happening.)

So, thoughts on the model? I know they're supposed to be a pain in the butt to take down, but I'm not too concerned about that. The loaded chamber indicator I can live with. More troubling is that some say the trigger is poor - didn't want to dry-fire it, so I'd be going on faith there.

Thanks for any input!

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
213 Posts
The trigger will most likely be pretty bad out of the box, but it's easy to gently polish a few spots to make it much better. And taking it apart is easy, it's the putting back together part that can be a bit tricky :)

The Rugers are solid guns. You should be happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
19,872 Posts
It's a great gun and a pretty reasonable price for nearly new. I have two Mk II models, and they're great shooters. The Mk IIIs differ by having a loaded cartridge indicator (LCI) and a magazine safety, but if those are troublesome they are easily rectified for a modest investment in parts. Dry fire away to your heart's content; there's a stop on the firing pin which prevents any damaging contact between the firing pin and the breech face.

Take-down is a cinch, it's the reassembly that drives some people nuts. It can be a little tricky, but with YouTube videos and patience it's really not a big deal. I put maybe 2000 rounds a year through one of mine, and it doesn't get stripped down more than once or twice a year - pretty much a non-issue.

There is a host of aftermarket help for the Ruger Marks if the trigger is not to your liking. The one of mine that gets the most use has a Volquartsen trigger kit in it which improved the pull nicely and limits the over-travel. Go look over on rimfirecentral.com for all sorts of guidance on the Ruger pistols.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently almost buy one, (bought a 10/22, fitted my needs better), but i dug into it quite a bit... The Mk III in fact is a bit though to disassemble, but its very different from your usual semi-auto, so in my opinion its very interesting hehe I would take a look at the 22/45's before I buy one of those, the lite version comes with a threaded barrel and nice barrel engravings, also super light . The Mk IV its way easier to disassemble, but it might be more pricey since it got out just a little ago... I did find out there is a lot of aftermarket parts for this, so I wouldn't worry too much about the trigger, you can buy a very nice aftermarket one.
What do you want this gun for if I may ask? If its for carry there are better .22 options out there, but if its for plinking, competing, or to have fun, its a fine gun, it also its very accurate.

As for the price I wouldnt know, im not from the US and guns are more expensive here, believe it or not, that Mk II over there is about $1100.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks! I love it here - so much good info so fast!

What do you want this gun for if I may ask? If its for carry there are better .22 options out there, but if its for plinking, competing, or to have fun, its a fine gun, it also its very accurate.
It would be mostly for plinking, plus I just want to build up a small collection of good .22's. I figure it's good to stock a large quantity of .22 ammo just in case, along with a variety of firearms to use it with. This would probably be followed soon by a 10/22 rifle, then maybe a small cc gun.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks folks! I love it here - so much good info so fast!

It would be mostly for plinking, plus I just want to build up a small collection of good .22's. I figure it's good to stock a large quantity of .22 ammo just in case, along with a variety of firearms to use it with. This would probably be followed soon by a 10/22 rifle, then maybe a small cc gun.
10/22 is a nice addition! :D
Well that one is a very nice gun for that then, just would suggest you look into the 22/45's and other versions of the Mk II, like the Hunter or others, maybe you will like those better (Because of more different looks mostly), but you cant go wrong with the Mk II either, like I said, I cant comment on the price, but if its a good price, then that's a good option. Good look with your purchase!

·
Registered
979 Posts
The Mark III is a great plinking gun. It is very accurate and a ball to shoot. I quit taking mine down for cleaning after having so much trouble with it. I just run a patch through it and clean what I can get to. I even had a gunsmith try to put mine back together once and he almost gave up. Maybe mine has a problem with it, I don't know. I watched the Ruger video on it dozens of times and even paused it so I could follow the steps one by one. The darn thing just refuses to go back together without force, ( force means using a plastic hammer and a lot of elbow grease, and a little prayer doesn't hurt) But even with those problems it is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
300 for that basic MK III is a good deal. Reassembly is not hard if you follow the directions. Most overblown issue with the Ruger Standards - Mk III's IMHO.

If you want, you can remove the magazine disconnect by inserting an after-market bushing after removing the disconnect. Some people say it improves the trigger but I never noticed any difference.

The new Mk IV's have an alloy frame, so the MK III is the last production series with a steel frame.

I've had three MK III's - target, hunter, and the standard one you have pictured, and that one is my favorite of the bunch.

My triggers were not bad, either - all break a smidge under 4 pounds.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
I have a different model MKIII and they are great little guns. One of the best .22 pistols you can buy.

Reactions: maxwell97

·
Super Moderator
18,787 Posts
All I can add is the Ruger .22 automatics are all a lot of fun. I grew up around a '50s-60s version. Have been tiptoeing around the notion of finding a similar aged pistol like it. I might go with a new or late model one instead, but can't keep up with the pros and cons of the various Marks. "Smitty gave me a quick refresher in this thread just now.

If you don't have a good .22 pistol you are missing out!!!

Reactions: AzQkr and maxwell97

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bryan, if I had to pick just one series, it would be the Mk II. All the stuff you need, and nothing that you don't.
Do you think there's generally a lower available supply, or higher demand, for Mark II's? It seems like they go for a bit more than similar Mark III's, by maybe $50-$100. Or maybe that's just around here, for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
19,872 Posts
Do you think there's generally a lower available supply, or higher demand, for Mark II's? It seems like they go for a bit more than similar Mark III's, by maybe $50-$100. Or maybe that's just around here, for some reason.
I'd guess it's demand. I'm not alone in the opinion that the Mk II was, so far, the epitome of the breed. But if someone offered me a stainless Mk III target model (adjustable sights) in the $300 range, I'd jump on it and fix the annoying stuff.

·
Super Moderator
19,872 Posts
What about the Mk IVs. I've been considering buying the Hunter model. Has anyone heard and good/bad about them. I know they're easier to put back together after cleaning...
So far the G2 is that the design is refreshing and welcome, although there have been reports about the hinged "upper" being loose on the frame. I haven't handled one yet. Although it's nice that Ruger dropped the LCI, they get the official Smitty dope-slap for retaining the magazine safety.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The Ruger Mark series are very nice .22 rimfire pistols, but you might want to also consider the Browning Buckmark line. Here's one example; they have many more.

Buck Mark Standard URX

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have no issues with the Ruger Mark III quality. I used to own a Mark III Hunter and loved it but the grip angle didn't work for me. I ended up with a 22/45 and it suits me just fine. I really like the feel and balance of the tapered barrel models. Their only limitation seems to be a lack of aftermarket front sight upgrades. If you want to clean up the trigger pull for not a ton of money then consider purchasing a Volquartsen sear. Hard to go wrong with the gun you pictured.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I have the Mark II and have no problems with the trigger. (Course I shoot Glocks :blink:) It's a dandy plinker.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The Ruger Mark series are very nice .22 rimfire pistols, but you might want to also consider the Browning Buckmark line. Here's one example; they have many more.

Buck Mark Standard URX
That Buckmark Field Target Suppressor ready model might be good. I sure wish the BATFE would drop the process for buying suppressors. I heard some noise about it a few weeks ago but nothing since.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts