Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with either the Ruger Mini-14 or the Remington 870? I get to shoot both of these and hopefully qualify with them for my new job. I would like to hear some opinions!

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
IMHO, the Mini-14 is just about the most "fun gun" there is. I've had one for about 35 years, and bought a 2nd about 20 years ago. I think it'd make a great service rifle, too.

·
Super Moderator
17,029 Posts
Mini-14 is a great rifle in my experience out to about 300 yards. Mine is a 182 series and I have read they are much more accurate now. One thing, stay from the aftermarket mags, their reliability leaves much to be desired. The 870 to me is one of the finest most versatile shotguns ever made and will serve you well in any capacity.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Does anyone have experience with either the Ruger Mini-14 or the Remington 870? I get to shoot both of these and hopefully qualify with them for my new job. I would like to hear some opinions!
Wish I could help with the Mini-14 but I have a Rem 870 and I would recommend it. It's a great gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 870 is as simple as it gets. Easy and fun to shoot. Nothing to get messed up and parts/upgrades are easily available. Nothing wrong with them. Shoot and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The Remington 870 has been putting meat on the table since 1950. One rough tough shotgun! You will not find many bad stories 'bout 870's because there just cannot be very many. I have heard I think "0"!

The mini 14 is also a sweetheart. The ones with the pistol grip stock ( as opossed to the AR type) just carry so well, remind me of a M1 carbine or a rimfire .22 auto. However a very few quickley fired rounds on the wood stocked models anyway will heat the barrel up enough to raise the barrel up and away from the barrel channel and cause the subsequent rounds to string vertically.

The 870 and the mini 14 are both quality firearms that you are sure to enjoy.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I own both. Ruger Mini 14, and Remington 870 shotgun. Cant make a complaint about eather. The P/D that I retired from used the A/C 556, and semi auto Mini's for many years, and only within the last few years are transitioning to the A/R platform. The Mini 14 is my go-to gun in any case a rifle becomes a need. This includeds self defence. The 870 shotgun as everyone says has long since paid it's dues. It's capable of feeding you, protecting you, and wont be a drain on your wallet.

I'm curious... What kind of work would require that you become familiar with these weapons. Were it my choice I'd allow police officers, and deputies the option of using a mini 14 or an A/R as a patrol rifle.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Does anyone have experience with either the Ruger Mini-14
I've had a a mini 14 tactical for about two years.

I live in town but this would be a very nice gun for someone to use on a ranch or farm. It would be perfect for coyotes. Takedown is very simple and the safety is impossible to ignore being located right at the trigger well. The older guns had accuracy problems. Ruger retooled a few years ago and the accuracy is good now.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
From the aspect of police and military work, the Remington 870 is a work horse. The Mossberg 500 has made in-roads into use but the 870 is the pump gun that has seen the lions share of serious work. You have to really work at breaking one and more accessories exist for the 870 than the Mossy-500. Great shotgun and a high number of them are in circulation, so parts are easy to get.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
It is common knowledge in certain circles if you hum the A Team theme music while qualifying with a Mini you will shoot a perfect score. A loud commanding voiced, "I pity the fool" will get you a centered headshot from the hip without even aiming every time. Good luck and please keep these facts in the inner circle.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I inherited a Mini-14 Range model from my father-in-law about 3 years ago and I can honestly say it's the best gun I've ever owned. He had mounted a scope on it and I was concerned about how well it was sighted in since I didn't do it myself. The very first shot I fired with it easily took out a 20oz water bottle at 100 yards! Done, all I did was clean it up a bit and it's been my standby ever since! I recently purchased a Mossberg 500, but spent a lot of time looking at and handling 870s. From what I saw they were top-notch and I'm still taking grief from buddies for buying the Mossy! The price sold me on the Mossy, but in hindsight the 870 did feel a little more solid.

BTW Mike Post wrote one ******* theme song, didn't he?!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts