Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Ruger P89DC from 93 that my wife got me for father's day , it's a awesome gun and shoots great . I have a small assortment of carry guns I rotate through all are 9mm or 45 but with how ammo has been here lately I traded for a older model Ruger P91DC 40 cal the other day , it shoots really good it was stainless but after trying it out I had it cerakote armour black . I think I might carry it a little bit . Does anyone carry the older P-series Ruger's anymore ? If so how do you carry it ? Pics are always welcome .
imagejpeg_0_20200726_193711.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Nothing wrong with the P-series. My P90DC is the most accurate .45 I own, and my P89DC compliments my original Ruger PC9 quite nicely. Probably not a good choice for IWB, but for OWB, I challenge anybody to find something more durable.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Finding a holster may be a problem. Remember that you need a real gunbelt before buying a good holster.

On the other hand, I have been using some of these, and they make on that will fit (I believe). You carry it IWB and can carry it anywhere it is comfortable. At the price, it might be worth a try before spending a lot of money on something else.

Welcome to DC by the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points on the gun belt I've used a 5.11 for close to 6 years now and it still is as good as the day I got it as far as carrying I can carry iwb or owb easily I usually carry the P89DC in a kydex iwb holster I made myself it's not the prettiest by any means but very functional . I do carry owb with either a paddle kydex holster or a leather belt slide .
IMG_20191018_165543838 - Copy (1).jpg
IMG_20191018_165519070.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
That's a nice looking weapon, tonyboo109. It should last you a good long time.

Reactions: tonyboo109

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Cleveland Kydex still makes a decent Kydex IWB holster for the P89,P90 and P95. I do not know the size difference between those or the P91 if any at all.
They have clip or snap loop models. My holster has held up well although I modified it a little with a better snap loop and some bending of the strut to suit me better. I also attach Velcro to the back for a foam wedge.
Its ugly from a lot of use and abuse but, it still works great.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I used to carry one, you will need a very good heavy duty gun belt. Those things are heavy!

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everyone saying it's heavy its really not that bad I'm used to carrying a 1911 or commander most days and as I posted before I have a good gun belt made for the weight . Carrying the Ruger's are very light compared to a full size 1911 and spare magazine . I've carried a gun since 1993 every day and am quite used to the weight of a gun on my side .

·
Registered
9,597 Posts
The mags are what 11 round on that ..Lot of of other gun for the same size get your way more rounds for less bulk

A 9mm 95 or 85 I would not have a issue with OC or OWB (heck I have a holter I think somewhere for one) ..The 45 model or 40cal ..Nope just not enough rounds in the mag for a gun that bulky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really carry for the number of rounds , I carry extra mag's for malfunctions as far how big the gun is there are others yes and that hold more rounds yes but I'm not really a Glock fan so I wouldn't be carrying one of them and I'm familiar with this weapon system . As I stated earlier I have 9mms and 45s but wanted a 40 cal because of the current ammo situation . I was just wondering if anyone else on here carried a P-series Ruger I'm not looking for suggestions on anything else or another pistol .

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I carried a few different P Series Rugers when they first came out. 9mm, .40’s and .45’s. They ain’t pretty, but they are accurate, reliable and pretty much indestructible.

I traded them all off over the years except the .45’s. I still keep my P90DC in desk drawer at work, with a coupla extra mags, just to have a spare gun in my office. I would/do trust my life to it. I also have a P345 that has been a great performer also.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The P series Ruger's are work horses and ultra reliable. I never felt under gunned with mine.
Carried a P89DC as a duty weapon for many years. Had well over 30,000 rounds through it. Sent it back to Ruger a couple years ago and they went through it. All new springs, trigger group, and new barrel. The only thing they charged me for was the barrel and shipping.
Traded it and my P95 last winter to a friend who was looking for a reliable 9mm for home and CC. I'm sure they will serve him well.
The P95 is almost exactly the same size and weight as the Glock 19. My only complaint was that it wasn't as accurate for me as the G-19. DA/SA vs Striker is really not an issue for me. I've used both with good results.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It's my understanding that we were "that close" to have a single stack version in 10mm as a sister to the P90. The tech data package was done and ready for production when the 10mm train derailed in the .40 S&W hurricane. Wouldn't that be cool...

Reactions: tonyboo109

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have an old Ruger P89DC from 93 that my wife got me for father's day , it's a awesome gun and shoots great . I have a small assortment of carry guns I rotate through all are 9mm or 45 but with how ammo has been here lately I traded for a older model Ruger P91DC 40 cal the other day , it shoots really good it was stainless but after trying it out I had it cerakote armour black . I think I might carry it a little bit . Does anyone carry the older P-series Ruger's anymore ? If so how do you carry it ? Pics are always welcome .

I contemplate getting a modern (kydex IWB taco style) holster for my P90. I really could carry that. I have the Uncle Mike's rubber grip on it, which I like quite a bit better than factory or the usual soft rubber Hogue grip.

I also hemmed and hawed over a P95 that a local place had a few months back, at the beginning of Covid!! panic. A G19 size decocking DA/SA. Alas, I passed, and it's long gone.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have an old Ruger P89DC from 93 that my wife got me for father's day , it's a awesome gun and shoots great . I have a small assortment of carry guns I rotate through all are 9mm or 45 but with how ammo has been here lately I traded for a older model Ruger P91DC 40 cal the other day , it shoots really good it was stainless but after trying it out I had it cerakote armour black . I think I might carry it a little bit . Does anyone carry the older P-series Ruger's anymore ? If so how do you carry it ? Pics are always welcome . View attachment 334224

The Ruger P series are fine pistols.

They hold and shoot just great; and, they are as reliable as a piece can be.

That said, they are a bit chunky and clunky for edc, although it can be done (and I've done so.) Actually, my biggest complaint about these fine pistols is that the safety levers the wrong way, for me anyhoo.

Carry the Ruger, it's a usable firearm for concealed carry (just not pocket carry, of course.)

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Extremely durable and reliable, just a tad bit bulky though! I doubt you could wear one out from shooting it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts