Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a earlier thread I mentioned my brother was going to buy a p95 for EDC and he finally bought one. We went to shoot it a few says ago and the casings kept jamming in the slide they would stovepipe of stay parallel (sp) with the slide. I fired it and he fired it and it would jam evey one to two rounds. After that session he went home and stripped it and cleaned it. Well he went out to shoot it again hopeing the problem would be fixed since it was a new gun and just need a good cleaning but it wasn't. It is still doing jamming like before. Now neither of us limp wrist it and we both have been shooting for years so I would like to think that it is not user error.

Now my brother called the place where he purchased the gun and they said there is nothing they can do so he called ruger. Ruger said the gun was opperating correctly and they wouldn't do anything about it????? That confused me when he told me that's what they said. He then told me he was probably too nice to them after they said that.

Now any ideas from the brilliant minds on here will be great. I have a feeling I'm going to have to call Ruger and raise hell because as of right now he has a bolt action pistol pretty much and that will not due for a CC weapon. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
VERY Unusual. I've never heard of a P95 having any problems like that or Ruger service being anything other than outstanding. I bought an older Ruger P95 used and have put countless boxes of ammo through it with no problem (and haven't cleaned it like I should either). It's like a tank. I would call Ruger back and tell them that it is a new gun and you are sending it back for repair. They should take care of it. I had to send a new rifle back to Henry and I took it to my local gun shop where I bought it and he took care of sending it back for me. Have you tried various kinds / brands of ammo? I've never heard of a P95 being sensitive about ammo either. Very strange, I'm sorry your experience has been the rare exception to the Ruger P95 norm.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
While not a billiant mind I do have enough whizdumb to know that an auto that is suppose stove pipe every one to two rounds would not have much of an advantage over a single shot. Call Ruger again. Must have gotten a hold of a service rep that was getting fired. You get to set the tempo of the conversation so start out nice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We have tried a few different types of ammo and still the same problem. I mean it's hard for me to grasp the concept that ruger is like this. Everywhere I've read said ruger is awesome

we have tried 4 different types of ammo and all the same problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Was the gun new or used. If it was used maybe it already had previous problems and needs to be sent in for repair. I own the p95 as well. I bought it new, put a little over 400 rounds through it so far and have never had any issues with mine no matter what ammo I put through it. The p95 has a lifetime warranty so try sending it in to Ruger so they can examine it and make the necessary adjustments if needed!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have had several people shoot it and still the same problem.... The gun was new also. I need to cal ruger and raise hell. Well that's what it's looking like.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I had one back in early 2000 or so. It was my first 9mm and shot ok, never had a problem with it. Traded it in for a Glock, not because the Ruger was a bad gun, but the police academy would not allow it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
# 1 don t ever buy a gun from any firearm shop that will not assist you in getting the quality you paid for.#2 I am confident it will work out, but you are going to have to pull the right strings. I have had 2 P 95 s and that is very unusual from all my experience. Now With ruger you should call them EVERYDAY until you start making progress, DO NOT BE RUDE, just do not take no for an answer. They are not going to change there phone Number. Sooner or later you will get somebody by e mail or phone that will resolve the problem for you. Good Luck and remember no matter how mad you get dont SCREAM .

·
Super Moderator
19,884 Posts
Highly unlikely since you've both shot the gun and had similar experience, but - any chance you're dragging a thumb on the slide?

And while you're "negotiating" with Ruger, take a close look at the extractor tip. There's a chance that a mis-formed or broken extractor could be responsible for your function troubles.

And add me to the list of people testifying about Ruger's great customer service. I think you simply need to let them know the gun is not operating correctly, and you've confirmed it's not an ammunition problem.

Post back with your progress.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
When I owned mine, I never had to deal with Ruger's customer service, but then again I never had a problem with mine. I trusted it so much I used it as my duty weapon when I was an LEO.

My first thought was the ammo, but you said you tried different brands. You've had others fire it, and had the same the same problem also. The next things I'd be looking at is the extractor, the ejector, and the slide stop.

I'd also be calling Ruger on a fairly regular basis until the problem is resolved. If the 1st person you get on the line isn't able to help you, ask to escalate to the next level of management. Repeat this until you get to the CEO if you need to. Ruger (to the best of my knowledge) supposedly has exceptional customer service and is willing to do what it takes to keep their customers happy.
was fixed.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've had a P-95 for many years - never a problem regardless of the ammo used. I even was able to shoot Wolf (steel case) through it without problems.

Keep checking with Ruger.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Talk to Chris "P95Carry" he's a pretty smart guy.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Like said, check your extractor for a break. And, like said, call Ruger and be nice to them. They will help you.

BTW, is the gun brand new or used off the shelf ?

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
In a earlier thread I mentioned my brother was going to buy a p95 for EDC and he finally bought one. We went to shoot it a few says ago and the casings kept jamming in the slide they would stovepipe of stay parallel (sp) with the slide. I fired it and he fired it and it would jam evey one to two rounds. After that session he went home and stripped it and cleaned it. Well he went out to shoot it again hopeing the problem would be fixed since it was a new gun and just need a good cleaning but it wasn't. It is still doing jamming like before. Now neither of us limp wrist it and we both have been shooting for years so I would like to think that it is not user error.

Now my brother called the place where he purchased the gun and they said there is nothing they can do so he called ruger. Ruger said the gun was opperating correctly and they wouldn't do anything about it????? That confused me when he told me that's what they said. He then told me he was probably too nice to them after they said that.

Now any ideas from the brilliant minds on here will be great. I have a feeling I'm going to have to call Ruger and raise hell because as of right now he has a bolt action pistol pretty much and that will not due for a CC weapon. Thanks for the input
I sell Ruger and about everything else.

If you can name the Dealer who you bought the P95 from, Name Address and Phone, I can maybe help.

Please make sure you are not using reloaded, re-manufactured target rounds. I will also need to know the manufacture of the ammo and and lot # on the ammo boxes.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
My experience with the Ruger P series pistols has always been good. I would normally say they are totally reliable, and I have said that several times here on the forum. Along with the advice you've already gathered here, I would be more inclined to take a look at the extractor/spring rather than the ejector in this case as I know that ejector design. But like state previously, you should go through with Ruger and customer support before anything else is done. The place you purchased the pistol should be more than willing to trade you for another of the same, or at least do all of the contact work and have your pistol back to you in working order within a couple of weeks. If the place where the pistol was purchased says there is nothing they can do, wear a cardboard sign outside the front of the store warning other customers of the lack of post-sale support until they realize there might be something they can do!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
We have had several people shoot it and still the same problem.... The gun was new also. I need to cal ruger and raise hell. Well that's what it's looking like.
Impulse ... I would suspect (as others have said) that the problem you describe is an extractor and/or ejector issue. I have several Rugers (including a P95 with over 7,000 rounds with zero issues) and have always found Ruger customer service to be top notch on the very rare occasions that I've had to use it over the years. I would recommend that you personally call first thing Monday morning and explain the issue (if your friend has the name of the person who he initially spoke with, I'm confident that Ruger would be interested to hear your dissatisfaction with the initial response). Good luck and let us know how it all comes out.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I had a P94 that stove piped about every 4 or 5 rounds. Bought it used and didn't want to send it to Ruger and be without it. A local smith said the extractor was just lose. He tightened it and polished the feed ramp just for GP. never another problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Weird,

I have a P95 with over 15000 rounds through it. Not a single jam, stovepipe or anything. It is a machine. In a previous I have also mentioned that Rugers CS the one time I conatacted them was amazing as they shipped me the part for free.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts