Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new Ruger Precision Rifle on Thursday, and the muzzle brake is off about 10 degrees to the left (if you're facing the muzzle). I've tried several different methods of turning it, the last being what should have worked (two wood blocks with hole bored through clamped in my vise) and I have been unable to budge it.

I want to avoid sending it to Ruger because I need the gun next weekend. Does anyone know if Ruger outsources some of their service to local smiths? I'm hoping they'd send me somewhere local to have a smith with the right tools time it correctly.

If I do it myself, which way loosens it (facing the barrel as if I'm looking down it, do I turn it right or left)? And what is the best way to clamp it down so it doesn't turn in my vise?

I'm trying to avoid buying a dedicated barrel vise, but may resort to that before I send it to Ruger and am without it for God knows how long (if they won't service it locally). I'd think their QC would be better for a $1200 gun.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
Use some Rosin on your wood blocks to help keep it from turning.

They nay have loctited it,if that's the case, you need to heat it to break the bond.

Turn it to the left. Remember this...

Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
Standard threads, 1/2-28 right hand.

Got one in the shop now that is one of the older version with the integral flash suppressor. Cant cut it off and thread it because the barrel would be too short, so we have a 20" barrel on order that is already threaded. We'll just swap it out.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just ordered some aluminum vice jaws that are smooth with a channel cut down the middle. Hopefully with these and the rosin I'll be able to get the darn thing turned so it's timed correctly.

It probably won't impact performance the way it is (other than recoil may be A bit weird from gas coming out at an angle) but it still bugs me.

Would you use a torch or will my heat gun work of its been lock tited?

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
Lock Tite generally requires around 400 degrees to break the bond. I think your heat gun would be OK, but I use propane because its quicker.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice.

So what do you think of the gun you have in the shop? I haven't shot mine yet, but I'm happy with the fit and finish with the exception of the muzzle brake. And I like that it takes standard AR10 pmags, which are sold everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
The owner said he loved it. The only issue he had was he was wanting to mount a suppressor to it and he couldn't do that because the muzzle break was part of the barrel. To cut it off would have put the barrel at 14" and he would have had to SBR it, which he didn't want to do. Instead. he ordered a new barrel and we'll have to swap it out when it comes in. Other than that he is happy with it.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

So what do you think of the gun you have in the shop? I haven't shot mine yet, but I'm happy with the fit and finish with the exception of the muzzle brake. And I like that it takes standard AR10 pmags, which are sold everywhere.
I have one in in .243, with minimal load wok it's a solid 1/2 MOA rifle. My first 5 load OCW tests were all sub MOA with a couple under .4"

In mine I load 105 Berger Hybrids over IMR483, the 105s OAL to make a .020 jump, it's too long for the regular PMAGs so I use the AICS PMAGs, they work with just enough room to spare. I paid $980 for mine and at that it's a pretty solid rifle, I've taken it out to 800 yards so far, and it works well. Mine does have a tiny bit of creep in the trigger just before the break, but it's not insurmountable.

I am really, really impressed with the .243 loaded with the 105 grain bullets. At 3100 FPS the Bergers slice through wind. I've had a couple friends out with .223s loaded with 69s and .308 loaded with 168s, and I'm a solid 1/2 to 1MOA less windage than they are. The .243 will burn the barrel out faster, but the performance is there.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The owner said he loved it. The only issue he had was he was wanting to mount a suppressor to it and he couldn't do that because the muzzle break was part of the barrel. To cut it off would have put the barrel at 14" and he would have had to SBR it, which he didn't want to do. Instead. he ordered a new barrel and we'll have to swap it out when it comes in. Other than that he is happy with it.
I'm thinking somethings not right, the RPR comes with a threaded barrel (V2s have threaded barrel with a removable brake) and the minimum length is the .308 and that's 20" long.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
I'm thinking somethings not right, the RPR comes with a threaded barrel (V2s have threaded barrel with a removable brake) and the minimum length is the .308 and that's 20" long.
Nope. This one I'm talking about is the SR 556. Not the .308.

.308 threads are 5/8-24.

My bad. I should have clarified that.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's likely going back to Ruger. Bought vise jaws, bought rosin, bought propane torch. Still can't get it to budge. And scratched the barrel in the process.

This won't impact the trajectory of the bullet, right? I want to shoot it before I lose the gun for a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
It's likely going back to Ruger. Bought vise jaws, bought rosin, bought propane torch. Still can't get it to budge. And scratched the barrel in the process.

This won't impact the trajectory of the bullet, right? I want to shoot it before I lose the gun for a few weeks.
In theory.....no it won't impact as the bullet is already past the muzzle crown when the gas hits the ports and the brake is already on there doing whatever it is it's doing to the barrel harmonics.

I've never been 100% comfortable with theories though. For factory ammo, I'd shoot it, really nothing to loose, but I wouldn't spend a chitload of effort on load development until it was "right".

Chuck

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got it off. Get this - the muzzle brake is separate from the nut which is actually a jam nut that is backed into the brake to tighten it. I had to turn the nut one way, the brake another and it finally came loose. Scratched the barrel in the process. But now the brake is timed, the barrel refinished, and the gun is back together. Just need to wait for the wind to die down to go shooting. I've been ladder loading while I wait out the wind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts