Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the Ruger Precision Rifle in 308? I am considering one for 300-700 yard shooting. I know that right now the 6.5 CM is the popular round, but as I do not reload, the cost of ammo for the 6.5 is too much. Also, again, I do not expect to shoot beyond 600 to 700 yards. Most of my shooting will be more like 300 yards so the 308 should do fine.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
My only experience with the 308 model is looking at it :biggrin2:
I like how they've shortened up the second version of these rifles for 308.

And overall I've always liked the looks of the RPR. If you are buying it because it looks good, go for it. I wouldn't say they are any more accurate, or "precision" over any good rifle of comparable price.

Assuming you are looking at match ammo, 6.5 Creedmoor match ammo is basically the same price as 308 and recoil of the 6.5 sweet.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Sorry, no experience with the .308, mines a .243.

IMHO, for the price, the RPR is an excellent value hosting a bunch of features that cost way more to put together in a custom or semi-custom rifle. Mine with handloads has been surprisingly accurate out to 800 yards so far. Even the during initial load development the majority of loads tried were sub-MOA.

I would take PAcanis's suggestion and take a hard look at the 6.5 or maybe even the new 6mmC. From experience in the wind my .243 runs circles around a good friend of mines .308, to the point of having to dial in about 1/2 the windage he does. Accuracy is about a wash, his REM 700 is a very accurate rifle with his loads, but in the wind the higher BC and the higher MV really stands out.

Chuck

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Too bad they don't make the .243 anymore. They seemed to sell well around here anyway.

Good info about the wind, Chuck. I had always wondered how velocity compared to bullet weight/caliber played out.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Too bad they don't make the .243 anymore.
Ah HECK! I didn't know they had discontinued the .243. IMHO, it was the...pick of the litter. :mad:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Since you said you want to just do some shooting out to 300 yards, I'll toss out a couple of ideas. You don't need a 6.5, or really any long range cartridge, for 300 yards. A competition tuned AR-15 will serve just as well as a 338 Lapua - out to 300 yards. I regularly shot 600 yard matches with a High Power AR-15 and did pretty well using 77 and 80 gr loads. I sometimes removed the competition irons and put a good scope on it and it would hold about 6" groups with the same match ammo.

I have a very expensive bolt action based on a Remington 700 that will easily shoot very accurately to 1100 yards with the right match (high BC) 308 ammo.

I think you need to get it clear in your mind what you really want to accomplish. I'm sure the Ruger is a nice rifle. Is it match grade? No. Is it a good shooter? Yes, probably. BUT...and here is a biggie. If you decide to push the envelope, and shoot it out to ranges where true long range cartridges are needed, you'll eventually need a barrel from one of the match manufacturers. You will probably not find anything for the Ruger. There may be need for a match trigger. I just don't know if I'd bank on those things becoming available. That's just me though.

Long range shooting is very intensive and very, very expensive. (ask my wife) 100-300 yards is not really going to test the gun at all.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Too bad they don't make the .243 anymore. They seemed to sell well around here anyway.

Good info about the wind, Chuck. I had always wondered how velocity compared to bullet weight/caliber played out.
With the 26" barrel and 105 Berger Hybrids (BC of .536), the .243 can hit 3200 FPS, as far as LR cartridges go it's like a "laser" with very little recoil. The .308 has to go to a 185 or greater and it's not going to get anywhere close on the MV. Issues for the .243 are the barrel won't hold up long due to the MV, and I had to go to MAGPUL AICS Mags to get the OAL to .020 off the lands. Once this barrel's gone I'll re-barrel in 6mmC, although a huge plus is cheap .243 brass that can be easily "match" prepped.

As far as modding the RPR, there already is a pretty large amount of aftermarket support. Barrels and triggers are available AND with some simple AR tools, go, no-go gauges you can re-barrel it yourself. Ruger really did a decent job of making the rifle "flexible".

I agree though, IF 300 is your goal, then a .223 is really all you need. I routinely shoot mine (REM 700 XCR) out to 600 with just 69 BTHPs.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I was looking for a rifle that will shoot MOA (or better) at 300 to 600 yards. I have a Rock River NM in 223 but even that won't hold MOA for me with match ammo past about 250 yards. Also, very susceptible to wind. Being cheap, I have a couple 308 rifles (A Ruger Scout and a SIG 716) so i thought hey, stay consistent with the ammo and just find a gun that will tighten up the groups a bit at longer ranges. Could also use as a hunting load on medium size game. I am not looking to compete, just to have some fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts