Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what to do, what to do......

my wife.....i think i will keep her.... ;)

problem is, she went to a pawn shop and saw a real purty gun. She put the thing on lay-a-way without telling me, and then eventually paid it off and sprang it on me as a gift......
She was very excited and pleased she could do this for me, so now i am married to this gun forever more.....can't sell it or trade it off......it has become an heirloom....

its not a bad looking SP at all. One of those TALO guns.

the most horrific da trigger that i have ever tried in my life.....heavier than an Enfield revolver. No idea on the trigger weight, but it takes forever and a lot of strength to get the trigger moving and the cylinder turning. When you finally over-come the resistance and the trigger finally moves, the cylinder jumps like a sprinter out of the starting blocks.....only to encounter another speed bump. Very heavy and very gritty with some rough hitches.

I tried dry firing over several days...had to put band-aides on my trigger finger....till it got tired and went to using the nasty finger.....then changed hands to give those fingers a rest. No idea how many times i pulled the trigger.....but it was still not enough to smooth things out.

Usually, i do not like to change out springs, but i made an exception for this one and ordered a Wolff spring pack. Tore the gun down and commenced to polish it up with some fine grit paper. Followed a youtube thing on the plunger/return spring tube so i tore into that as well.

the video i used....

I knew i was in a lot of trouble as when i depressed the trigger guard plunger and it went side-ways down inside the rabbit hole.

anyways, after a lot of patience, i finally got the plunger and spring out. Put a drill bit in the channel and turned by hand and could feel all sorts of burrs and rough spots. Finally got it smoothed out.

flushed everything out, applied dry lube, and put her back together. Kept the original return spring in place and just replaced the main spring.....went with the 10 pound spring. The factory spring was 14 pounds.

i do not know if it was more from my polishing/de-burring, cleaning, or the spring change, but she is a lot nicer now. There is still a small amount of grit in the trigger pull, but not nearly as pronounced and rough as before.

will take her out this weekend to try out......with cci primed ammo....just in case. Will also be taking my LCR 327 to try with that new load.

so there you have it......a new to me gun, in a caliber (357/38) that i am slowly moving away from....that is too big and heavy for the pocket.......

but it sure is purty. I do believe that one of the daughters will enjoy inheriting it......eventually. But this gun is a keeper whether i want it or not simply because its from the wife and she worked purty hard saving her pennies to get it for me.

i'm not about to disappoint her......she might never buy me a gun again....:sneaky:

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
If shooting her this weekend doesn’t smooth it out, you may want to try a complete degrease, spray it out with a cleaner and dry fire it for a week with no lube. That should mate everything together, re-lube and I bet she’s slick.

Sweet of the Mrs., she’s a keeper. Talo does some nice stuff.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got one of 'those' SP101s a while back. It didn't even work after a 100 or so trigger pulls. A few hours labor and some new springs made it into a fairly nice revolver. The trigger pull is still a little different on each of the cylinders. Keeps it out of the 'top-notch' category.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Dang, Retired Deputy -- it was so sweet and thoughtful of your wife to surprise you with a gun like that. The thought and love behind it means a lot to you, I'm sure! I hate that it has a trigger you aren't happy with and that it's not in the caliber or size that you would have preferred. Aaack. You'll love it anyway because she got it for ya.
I got lucky back in 1995 - my new wife at the time surprised me with a gun. Luckily, I had mentioned (hinted) that I wanted a short barrel .357 Magnum. She couldn't afford an expensive one, but had a friend who steered her in the right direction. She got me an Interarms Rossi M971 that shoots as sweet today as it did then, just the trigger got even smoother. It's too big and heavy to carry nowadays, but I still tote it around sometimes in the woods. It serves as my bedside gun.

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
what to do, what to do......

my wife.....i think i will keep her.... ;)

problem is, she went to a pawn shop and saw a real purty gun. She put the thing on lay-a-way without telling me, and then eventually paid it off and sprang it on me as a gift......
She was very excited and pleased she could do this for me, so now i am married to this gun forever more.....can't sell it or trade it off......it has become an heirloom....

its not a bad looking SP at all. One of those TALO guns.

the most horrific da trigger that i have ever tried in my life.....heavier than an Enfield revolver. No idea on the trigger weight, but it takes forever and a lot of strength to get the trigger moving and the cylinder turning. When you finally over-come the resistance and the trigger finally moves, the cylinder jumps like a sprinter out of the starting blocks.....only to encounter another speed bump. Very heavy and very gritty with some rough hitches.

I tried dry firing over several days...had to put band-aides on my trigger finger....till it got tired and went to using the nasty finger.....then changed hands to give those fingers a rest. No idea how many times i pulled the trigger.....but it was still not enough to smooth things out.

Usually, i do not like to change out springs, but i made an exception for this one and ordered a Wolff spring pack. Tore the gun down and commenced to polish it up with some fine grit paper. Followed a youtube thing on the plunger/return spring tube so i tore into that as well.

the video i used....

I knew i was in a lot of trouble as when i depressed the trigger guard plunger and it went side-ways down inside the rabbit hole.

anyways, after a lot of patience, i finally got the plunger and spring out. Put a drill bit in the channel and turned by hand and could feel all sorts of burrs and rough spots. Finally got it smoothed out.

flushed everything out, applied dry lube, and put her back together. Kept the original return spring in place and just replaced the main spring.....went with the 10 pound spring. The factory spring was 14 pounds.

i do not know if it was more from my polishing/de-burring, cleaning, or the spring change, but she is a lot nicer now. There is still a small amount of grit in the trigger pull, but not nearly as pronounced and rough as before.

will take her out this weekend to try out......with cci primed ammo....just in case. Will also be taking my LCR 327 to try with that new load.

so there you have it......a new to me gun, in a caliber (357/38) that i am slowly moving away from....that is too big and heavy for the pocket.......

but it sure is purty. I do believe that one of the daughters will enjoy inheriting it......eventually. But this gun is a keeper whether i want it or not simply because its from the wife and she worked purty hard saving her pennies to get it for me.

i'm not about to disappoint her......she might never buy me a gun again....:sneaky:
I loved both my early model SP101’s. Great triggers. I could stage them perfectly to let me go DA and then readjust for a better sight picture before dropping that hammer. Taught my daughter to handle a gun with them. Sold it after it became clear my little gal was more attracted to the Semi Autos. My reasoning was much the same as yours. Can’t pocket carry it and it’s really a caliber I’m no longer interested in. I think I’ve substituted the 10mm for the .357.

Reactions: retired deputy

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I have owned 2 DA/SA Ruger revolvers. One 3" SP101 and one 5" GP100.The SP was the worst revolver I have ever owned as far as "smoothness" of operation. It never did wear in nicely over time and even the cylinder did not turn smoothly on the yoke. I always thought I got a Monday built example or something.
The GP100 is the smoothest revolver I have ever owned including my old Smith's. It was that way right out of the box too. Everyone who shoots it swears I had a professional action job done.
I kept the GP but, that SP got traded. Sounds like yours will work out fine with a little help.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Sounds like a BBQ and date gun in the making. Maybe not the ideal EDC, but a great conversation starter to point out how awesome your better half is. Polish the trigger, enjoy those new springs, and maybe get a nice leather OWB holster to show it off. It'll wear well under a suit coat or blazer for Church days too.

Congrats on the great find too! (Your wife, not the gun.)

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
I'm with some others, that looks like the start of a BBQ gun! I don't know how long you have been with the Mrs. but your 14 th wedding anniversary is Ivory themed. A set of Ivory grips would really set that off.... Then a shoulder rig... Good luck DR

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
You have a very beautiful wife. Don’t ever have to see her to know this is true.
Consider sending the gun out to one of the many custom shops for trigger work.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I have two of them, SP101 2/-1/4 inch in .357 and a recently acquired French turn in 3" in .38 spl rated for +P
the snubby was dehorned, internals polished, trigger & hammer springs as well as shims for both. SMOOTH!
the French police revolver received a disassembly and completely de-burred and new mainspring at 10 lbs.
really hardly fires and no holster wea

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
She asked me. I told her you'd love it. Don't disappoint her or it's NCCFY.

Reactions: retired deputy

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just wanted to reiterate what matthew03 suggested. De-grease the gun and dry fire it without lube.
Years ago, I heard of someone packing the action with toothpaste. The grit would polish the surfaces.
I guess you could use auto polishing compound if you did not want your gun to smell minty fresh! 😊
It might take an ultrasonic cleaner to get it out though!

Have you considered a shim kit? I would.

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
Sounds like a BBQ and date gun in the making. Maybe not the ideal EDC, but a great conversation starter to point out how awesome your better half is. Polish the trigger, enjoy those new springs, and maybe get a nice leather OWB holster to show it off. It'll wear well under a suit coat or blazer for Church days too.

Congrats on the great find too! (Your wife, not the gun.)
Great idea, great comment!

Reactions: graydude

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My sp’s trigger is fine. Doesn’t compare to my 1911s but smooth and easy.

Reactions: ExSoldier

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
I was never put off by the SP101 triggers and with a bit of trigger time they do get smoother. The SP101 is a fine revolver. I never considered it to be a pocket gun. It's a belt gun and I now have a 2.5" GP100 Talo edition that better serves that purpose but I've nothing bad to say about the SP101.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I was never put off by the SP101 triggers and with a bit of trigger time they do get smoother. The SP101 is a fine revolver. I never considered it to be a pocket gun. It's a belt gun and I now have a 2.5" GP100 Talo edition that better serves that purpose but I've nothing bad to say about the SP101.
I had one that I had work done on and it had a very smooth DA pull ~12lbs. SA it was something like ~5lbs but very crisp.
My wife recently got a DAO version with the 2 1/4" barrel. Trigger is a bit heavy with a little grit, but she likes it and can hit with it. And we don't even have 500 rounds through it yet, things being as they are, so I think that it will improve.
I could probably carry it in the pockets of some of my clothes especially given that it's got the bobbed hammer. It could easily be carried strong side hip or appendix. It would even work for me in an ankle rig. Makes me seriously tempted to get another one.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Im definitely not a SP101 fan .. from overall past experiences…
but she bought it .. its yours .. forever
Having said what I did about my dislike of the SP101
I have owned a couple of good ones in the past

1 - 20 of 26 Posts