Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1951 - 2011
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Four years ago I wound up with a NIB Ruger SP101 with the 3 1/16" barrel. Almost exclusively an S&W revolver shooter, I was not sure if I'd keep the thing or not, but do admit that there was sort of an "instant attraction" to the little .357 after handling it.

I shot it during a few range trips and then wound up doing an initial evaluation of the gun. Here's the link should anyone want it read it:

SP101 Initial Range Evaluation

I also used it as one of the "test guns" when trying out Corbon's then-new .357 Magnum 125-gr. DPX ammunition:

A Look at Corbon .357 DPX

Since those reports, I've continued to shoot the little thing off and on, but not with great amounts of ammunition each range session, but over time, my somewhat skimpy notes indicate that it has put at least another thousand rounds of 357 ammunition downrange.

If interested, here's report on the same SP101 and a few minor alterations I've had done to it:

Range Report A Thousand Shots Later

Best.

·
Registered
581 Posts
After more guns than I care to remember the keepers are a S&W 442, Ruger SP101 and Springfield XD9 SC. Nice write-up and very timely to my own thoughts.
Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
A very good report and write up Stephen! Thanks for posting!

I really like the stainless Ruger revolvers. I have two SP-101's. They are DAO snubbies and the wife carries one as her primary and I often still carry mine as a BUG.

Then I have a 3" Stainless Speed Six which of course has six instead of the five rounds of .357. That was one of my best $120 investments and I'll never get rid of any of those Ruger revolvers.

Solid shooters all the way around. Very accurate and built like tanks. They'll take any +P, +P+ or magnum round you can give them all day long. They can certainly take more punishment than my hand can.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
My wife has carried an SP101 for 10 years, they make a bulletproof reliable revolver at a great price....

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I remember your first range report; good to see the little Ruger is still doing well for you! I am up to four .357 SP101s now, though I have yet to shoot the newest, which has the longer 3-1/16" barrel. I consider these to be lifetime guns, which will be with me until I pass away, or they lock me away in an old folks' home.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Interesting. Any reason not to just have Ruger fit a DAO hammer?
The cost of shipping the whole firearm comes to mind; a good local 'smith can bob a hammer for very little cost, and shipping a hammer alone, to a distant 'smith, is peanuts compared to shipping a whole gun.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glad to hear these guns last so long, and perform so well! I'm about 2-3 weeks away from buying one for myself. I have yet to shoot one yet though.. I was graciously offered by a member on this board (whose posted in this thread) to shoot some of his, but my work schedule sucks and just haven't been able to do so..

I'm really looking forward to this new gun, and really enjoy shooting the .357 magnum load from a recreational stand point, as well as it being a proven defensive load.

Great review(s) and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow, nice shooting for DAO. Years and years ago I said an SP101 would be my first wheel gun. I got a GP100 instead, but man the SP still dances in my head whenever I see pics like yours.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Stephen,

Thanks for the great info and story on the SP 101. I've been considering getting one and you have now cinched my doing so.

I'm sure plenty of folks beyond just those of us posting in this thread are also most appreciative of your taking the time and effort to share your experiences with this revolver -- thanks again!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks Stephen,

Your original writeup gave me the green light to buy one for my wife after she picked one out at gun show a couple years ago. It's a keeper for us as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nice write up. I love my SP101 and carry it daily. I have around 500 round through it so far. The 3" barrel is very accurate and I even shot a feral hog at 20 yards with it, and the 145 grain Silver Tip dropped it in its tracks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Stephen..... Great post. I have both the 3 and 2 inch SP101's. The shorter barrel is .38 special only. I normally carry a Glock 27 or 23 but I always feel good with the SP101 strapped on my belt.

Again fantastic post on your part............ Thanks a bunch.......:wave::wave:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts