Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to go pick one up tomorrow morning, been eying one for a while now. I want .357 mag that way I can shoot both 357 and .38 special. They also have the .327 federal for the same price though. Anyway what are the thoughts on barrel length. They have a .357 mag with 3 1/16" barrel there for $449, is that decent? The .427 federal is also $449 but has a 2 1/4" barrel and the .38 special they have is the same price also with a 2 1/4" barrel. Thoughts? Price wise and barrel lengths?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
The 327 Federal is an awsome round. It is new and there is no telling if it will survive. I suspect it will. The 327 Federal will fire 32 H&R Mag and 32 Smith and Wesson Long. As far as barrel length selcetion That would be driven by inteded purpose. Altough the longer barrel will be concealable the extra inch is there. The holster selection won't be be as good for the long barrel, but all of my snubbie holster are open bottom and will accept the longer barrel.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I carry a keltec pf9 right now but I'm looking for something more powerful for hiking, fishing, camping etc... I would like the ruger for CC but if dress is a problem I always have the Keltec which is much smaller and lighter. What's the advantage of the longer barrel? I had an old S&W .357 with a 2 1/4" barrel when I was younger but that's long gone.

Is $449 a worthy price for it?

·
Registered
971 Posts
For your purposes I would definately think 3 1/16-357. I think it has more to offer in ammo and efficentcy. 38 wadcutter up to smoking 125gr 357. as well as snake shot.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The longer barrel will give you a little greater velocity and longer sight radius with very little penalty for concealment.

One and two inch snubbies just don't produce enough velocity to suit me.

I would go for the long one.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I think I am going to go with the 3 1/16" in .357 Just don't know if I want to spend $449 on it but most likely will, I have to splurge on myself for xmas :smile:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The .327 Federal Mag is still very new. Not a lot of ammo avail around here. I don't think it's known for sure if it will survive. If you get one you'd better be sure to get a lot of brass for future use. I'd go with the 357 for versatility.

I didn't know Ruger made the 101 in just a .38

The price sounds good. Rugers are built tuff and should be trouble free. I'd consider one but I'm in the market for a light weight right now.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I've got a lightweight 9mm so I'm looking for a power house but still able to conceal. Yea they make the sp101 in just .38 special as well, which I don't understand because why would you buy the .38 when for the same price you can buy the .357 and shoot both rounds. I looked at them yesterday though and sure enough there is .327, .357, and ,38 sp. all the same price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
get the 3/116 SP101 I have one great gun see my avatar:king:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great, thanks for the push guys, I will probably go get it tomorrow morning (I love no waiting period here in Vermont) I'll post some pics to!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Went through similar reasoning a while back, and decided on the 3 1/16" barrel. After a long wait, it finally came in...Now if the snow would melt I might be able to do more than dry fire it, but even just practicing with it, it really resonates with me.

Your price seems reasonable. I paid a little more to help support my LGS (they've done a lot of transfers for me lately, and it's been a bit since I bought anything), but don't regret it.

·
Banned
480 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I am going to go with the 3 1/16" in .357 Just don't know if I want to spend $449 on it but most likely will, I have to splurge on myself for xmas :smile:
The 3 1/16" in .357 is your best choice, and $449 is a good price for an SP101. :hand10:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You will love the SP-101. We have a 2" in 357 and it shoots great.

Oh, and if I am not mistaken there is some fluke with the Ruger in 327 I believe.
Chamber too tight on fired rounds, bad machining or brass swelling. You can Google around and find the reports.

Merry Christmas

Craig

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Does the longer barrel have adjustable sights. At one time they did and then only the 327 did, who can keep up?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Get the .357 flavor. If it is for CC, obviously the 2.25" will be better (it's what I am carrying right now). If it is for HD and range, a longer barrel would be better.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I would go with the 357. It has the same specs as far as I could tell with weight, width etc as the 357, so I agree why 38spec? I have been reading up on the 327 also and haven't really seen the ammo selection, the ballistics seem good but again the specs of the gun are nearly identical. Around here 357 mag JHP is less than good 38 spec +P. and at walmart JHP 357 is only a couple bucks more than LRN.

As far as concealing, the length of the barrel does not affect me as much as the grip length and revolver IWB cant and fit nicely at about 4:00 on me. I wish I had a five shot instead of my 6 shot Colt Lawman because of the cylinder width. One day, I too will own a SP101 in 357 mag and I also would like a lightweight for pocket carry!

Enjoy yours and I look forward to your report

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I'd say get the 3" barreled .357. I've been thinking about getting one for the same reasons you are...I think it would make the perfect field/camping/hiking gun... It has plenty of power without being overly bulky or heavy...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts