Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how many of you carry a Ruger SP101 as your concealed carry piece. I love the design and have had a few. I bought a 327 federal Magnum, 3" version several months ago, a holster, die set, and ammo. But I haven't shot it yet, let alone carried. I'm actually thinking of selling the whole set up.

I am a revolver guy and have carried J-frames in pocket for years. The SP101 is not a pocket gun, at least for me. The more that I think about it, if I need to throw it on a belt, I can just throw on my Sig P365=more rounds, slimmer profile.

if you carry one, chime in and post pictures if you have them!

Registered
Northwest Oregon
A friend of mine carries the hammerless 2 1/4" SP 101 .357 magnum on her belt, in her purse, or sometimes in her pocket depending on what she is wearing.

My concealed carry revolvers are a 4" Colt Python .357 magnum or a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. They are carried in a leather pancake style holster @ 3:00 with two speed loaders @ 9:00 on my belt covered by an untucked garment.

Registered
The SP101 is the best edc gun ever invented, imo.

My main carry rotation consists of my 2.25" 357 magnum SP101, my 3" 357 magnum SP101, or my 3" GP100 44 special.

I don't get all wrapped up around the axle about capacity. I believe that five 357 magnums or 44 specials is more than enough to get me home.

I also feel 100% confident that when I pull the trigger, it's gonna go BANG every time. No worries about limp wristing (may be shooting 1 handed and at a bad angle in a self defensive situation), out of of battery if I have the barrel pressed into the BG, bad magazine springs, or none of that stuff. My opinion only.

I reload all my own ammo, so I shoot on the cheap, which means a whole lot more practice, which is a good thing. 馃榿

Attachments

Registered
The SP101 is the best edc gun ever invented, imo.

My main carry rotation consists of my 2.25" 357 magnum SP101, my 3" 357 magnum SP101, or my 3" GP100 44 special.

I don't get all wrapped up around the axle about capacity. I believe that five 357 magnums or 44 specials is more than enough to get me home.

I also feel 100% confident that when I pull the trigger, it's gonna go BANG every time. No worries about limp wristing (may be shooting 1 handed and at a bad angle in a self defensive situation), out of of battery if I have the barrel pressed into the BG, bad magazine springs, or none of that stuff. My opinion only.

I reload all my own ammo, so I shoot on the cheap, which means a whole lot more practice, which is a good thing. 馃榿
Your crazy!!!! A SIX round SP101would be the perfect edc . 馃槒

Registered
My custom Ruger SP101 3" in .357mag is one of my favorite carry guns, but mainly for winter carry.

"Winter is coming".

Registered
I have one of those. It's called a K6s. I don't have enough trigger time with it to make comments yet but in size it compares to the SP101, has a 6 round cylinder and is very well crafted.

I got one of those myself, but don't carry it much, despite the wonderful trigger and the extra hole.

All the talk (on the Kimber forum) about the oem titanium firing pin snapping has me concerned. I've even stopped dry firing with it (with snap caps of course), and I love my daily dry fire practice sessions with my carry gun of the day.

It's always in the back of my head, that it will break at the worst possible time. I'm going to order the stainless firing pin from TK Custom, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I keep hoping that Kimber will just issue a recall and replace them. They must believe it is an issue because they use a stainless firing pin in all the 3" DASA revolvers.

Until I get it replaced, I just can't bring myself to trust it 100%. But you're right, it is a really nice little 6 shooter.

Attachments

Registered
The more that I think about it, if I need to throw it on a belt, I can just throw on my Sig P365=more rounds, slimmer profile.
That would be my preference of the options presented.

Registered
I got one of those myself, but don't carry it much, despite the wonderful trigger and the extra hole.

All the talk (on the Kimber forum) about the oem titanium firing pin snapping has me concerned. I've even stopped dry firing with it (with snap caps of course), and I love my daily dry fire practice sessions with my carry gun of the day.

It's always in the back of my head, that it will break at the worst possible time. I'm going to order the stainless firing pin from TK Custom, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I keep hoping that Kimber will just issue a recall and replace them. They must believe it is an issue because they use a stainless firing pin in all the 3" DASA revolvers.

Until I get it replaced, I just can't bring myself to trust it 100%. But you're right, it is a really nice little 6 shooter.
Same here. In spite of the fact that the Kimber is pretty slick I can't seem to get much enthusiasm for it. I'll keep it awhile, maybe eventually put it through some paces and we'll see.

Premium Member
While I like the wheel gun, that's a lot of iron to pack for the rounds available. I'll stick with the 365XL - it goes bang every time I've asked it to.

Registered
I carried my 2.25" SP101 .357 Magnum for several years as a BUG, CC off-duty, woods bumming and as a hunting BUG. I carried it in a Galco ankle holster a lot when in BUG duty. OWB hunting and woods bumming. OWB or IWB off-duty. Never had a problem with mine, either carrying or shooting. It's one gun I'll never get rid of.

I have a Wildlife Agent buddy of mine (retired now) that always carried his SP101 2.25" in his uniform or jeans pocket with no problem. I always found it just a tad heavy for pocket carry, but it was doable on short runs.

And don't ever sell the accuracy of the SP101 short. We can fairly regularly ring gongs at 100 yards with ours.

The only reason I pretty much retired it was after the LCR .357 Magnum was invented I started carrying it in those roles. But still, I'll never get rid of that old SP101.

Registered
When I realized that the 9mm Rem Golden Saber 124 gr +Ps out of my Glocks perform better in tests (Lucky Gunner) than the 125 gr Hornady Critical Defense .357 Mags I have in my 2鈥 DAO SP101, it became hard to justify my beloved snub on the belt.

That said, a pair of revolvers is arguably the best CCW setup, period. You have enough capacity with none of the issues that can tie up a semi auto. Get a .357 LCR to serve as a backup to the SP101, done.

If someone comes up with a modern take on the old I-frames in a .32 H&R or .22 Mag, I might ditch my trusty pair of LCPs and put those in my pockets. Until then I鈥檓 mostly carrying them or one of them plus a Glock.

That said, my SP101 is never going anywhere.

Premium Member
I do enjoy my SP 101, it has the 4" barrel so when I do carry it, it is OWB set up for a cross draw. I may be wrong on this but I read somewhere (before the internet) that you needed at least a 4" barrel to get the most out of the 357 magnum round. When I picked mine up at a gun show it was BNIB but sold but a private party. The double action trigger was just as smooth and crisp as the single action trigger. It is my favorite wheel gun.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts