Defensive Carry banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It is funny.

My SP101 2.25 inch .357 is definitely not the lightest gun or one that holds the most rounds, but for some reason, it's shape allows it to be concealed very easily.

It just disappears IWB in the Bianchi Holster I use for it.

And, it is amazingly comfortable in the manner I conceal it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in a very rural area (Michigan's Upper Peninsula) where my primary "security" concerns revolve around keeping my English Setter separated from wolves, porcupines and skunks. Plenty of black bears in the area, but they're mostly interested in garbage cans and bird feeders (grin). I own several SP 101's in .357. The gun I find myself toting a lot is a 3" .357 I've slicked up with shims and aftermarket springs. I can carry full-power 158 gr. loads that work fine for walking the dog or an occasional run to "town". Like others, any of the SPs are strictly a belt-carry option for me.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I’ve had a couple SP101’s. I shot them regularly and carried them on or in my belt. After a number of years I decided that if I was to carry a gun that heavy it may as well be my 2” 7 shooter. A light J-Frame 442 always stayed in my pocket. These days I just carry Two J-Frames. Since I enjoy shooting them, shoot them pretty good, why not take advantage of the light weight. I still drag out the 7 shooter once in a while,

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I’ve had a couple SP101’s. I shot them regularly and carried them on or in my belt. After a number of years I decided that if I was to carry a gun that heavy it may as well be my 2” 7 shooter. A light J-Frame 442 always stayed in my pocket. These days I just carry Two J-Frames. Since I enjoy shooting them, shoot them pretty good, why not take advantage of the light weight. I still drag out the 7 shooter once in a while,
Yeah, I too carry the 642 more than anything else because its so easy to conceal wearing dang near anything without having to wear a tent for a shirt. Its the only gun I can carry and do anything while wearing it that I could do not wearing a gun from having a tool belt on up on the ladder to crawling under the house. Still the best CC gun made to date in my opinion. No other firearm does the "floating gun" role as well.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I hear a lot of people say the SP101 is too heavy to carry for only having five shots. I personally don't think so. My 3" loaded with magnums is 29.1 ounces. My Shield 45 loaded (6+1) is 28 ounces. Even though I get 2 more shots with the Shield, I like 357 magnum over 45 ACP and I shoot revolvers better than semi autos, and I just plain 100% prefer revolvers.

I also prefer an all steel gun over a plastic or aluminum or whatever gun. Imo, the SP101 is the perfect weight for soaking up the recoil from the magnums that I like to shoot, and allows for faster follow up shots.

I'm kinda average size @ 5"11 & 205 lbs. When the day comes that 29 ounces is too heavy for me to carry is probably the day I should turn in my man card. Lol.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am wondering how many of you carry a Ruger SP101 as your concealed carry piece. I love the design and have had a few. I bought a 327 federal Magnum, 3" version several months ago, a holster, die set, and ammo. But I haven't shot it yet, let alone carried. I'm actually thinking of selling the whole set up.

I am a revolver guy and have carried J-frames in pocket for years. The SP101 is not a pocket gun, at least for me. The more that I think about it, if I need to throw it on a belt, I can just throw on my Sig P365=more rounds, slimmer profile.

if you carry one, chime in and post pictures if you have them!
love mine. 3” .357. I put it away and carried a 442 for a year but went back to my SP a few months ago and haven’t looked back. Iwb 2:30-3, fbi cant. Ya it’s heavy but I wear a good belt, have a good holster, and it just sits there quietly like a good dog. I also carry a non lethal weapon...yup, same gun but used as a club. I’m comfortable with the five rounds, I usually have a box of ammo in my truck.

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
The only reason I pretty much retired it was after the LCR .357 Magnum was invented I started carrying it in those roles.
I'm interested in your experience there. Why do you prefer the LCR .357 over the 101? Is is just weight? Do you shoot .357s out of them? And what is the felt recoil difference? Is there a practical accuracy difference?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I'm interested in your experience there. Why do you prefer the LCR .357 over the 101? Is is just weight? Do you shoot .357s out of them? And what is the felt recoil difference? Is there a practical accuracy difference?
The weight is the reason I prefer my LCR .357 over my SP101. I do shoot full snort magnums out of both of them. The SP101 does tame recoil of magnums better than the LCR. the SP101 is 26 oz. and the LCR is 17 oz. so there's no getting around that. you can shoot magnums in the SP101 all day with no problem. But outside of special applications, and woods carry, I still carry .38 +P on the streets most of the time.

But, the recoil of the LCR .357 Magnum, in my opinion, is grossly exaggerated by most folks. Yeah, you're gonna know you toughed off a full house magnum in a 17 oz. 5 shooter, but it's very manageable. Especially with the Tamer grips. The Tamer Boot Grips with magnums is still doable, but it's about at the end of the spectrum of what I'll tolerate in defensive gun recoil.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I’ve had my SP101 for 13 years and bought it with the intension of carrying it. I only carried it for a few months and found it to be too heavy and bulky. I still like it and the way it is built it will last forever.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have owned several sp101's and will probably own another. I have only ever shot 158 grain when shooting 357. That is not something I enjoy and find the frame cuts my trigger finger. I always return to my J frames since I find myself carrying 38 specials.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My 3" SP101 does not shoot as well for me as my 3" 686.

Having said that...the SP101 carries really well, and inside 10m, I hit what I aim at.

I also carry a Ruger LCR in 357 (One in my pocket as I type...). However, I load it with either 38 Special +P or home-brewed, light .357's.

The LCR's light weight is a big advantage in my mind, but the SP101 is a better fighting revolver.

I'd like to try a 3" K6 at some point.

·
Banned
20 Posts
No.

My Springfield Hellcat holds 12 rounds in a slimmer, lighter gun. 2020 autos, well maintained are just as reliable as a revolver and any hypothetical scenario where the revolver would be preferred is not even remotely worth the tremendously reduced firepower.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A bit heavy for 5 shots. My three other snubs, DS, Cobra, and 442 all see carry time...but the SP is my favorite to actually shoot and it makes a great trainer for new shooters.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts