Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few weeks now, I have been surprised by how well my DAO Ruger SP101 .357 Mag snub revolver has worked for me as a pocket gun. Yes, a pocket gun.

It all started a few weeks prior, when I bought my Ruger LCR .22 LR snub revolver. I like the thing so much, that I considered buying another in either 9mm or .357 Mag - and carrying the pair.

Now, that was only possible because of the evolving dress code at work, which is non permissive. We went from years of mandatory suit and tie, to now where business casual even with an untucked shirt is ok. I've been reluctant to go with the untucked look, but it's the only way I can pocket a revolver, as they are larger than my usual micro .380 LCP pistols. On the weekends I can look more presentable for the Mrs and tuck my shirt, but at work I need the extra coverage of the untucked shirt.

So...upon considering another LCR, I remembered that I used to pocket my SP101 when on duty as a backup to my Glock. Of course, that was in 5.11 duty pants. Would khakis support the weight? Well, I was surprised as all get out to find that it worked, despite the weight. Best way I can describe it is that instead of the "book-in-your-pocket" of a semi auto, the "curved banana" profile of a revolver doesn't stretch out the pocket as much. The weight was not the issue I thought it would be.

Like I said, surprising. And I found myself having to eat my words, as I didn't think a pocket gun much over 16-20 oz was doable long term. I have waited a few weeks before writing this up, just to see if it would continue to work for me, and it has.

So, I've been carrying the .357 Mag SP101 and a reload in a 2x2x2 pouch, plus the .22 LR LCR. Both in Mika pocket holsters. They draw very smoothly from the pocket with their "hammerless" profiles, and it is kind of nice to have a .357 Mag in your pocket!

I have had some back issues in the past, so the light little .380s aren't going anywhere. They will also serve when suit and tie is still required, as the thin material of suit pants will not support the weight of the SP101.

Overall, I am liking this setup, and glad I gave it a try. I guess I can still learn (or is it re-learn?) new tricks.

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
That’s great if you can do it; why not?

The only concern I would have, is how much quicker will the friction from the extra weight cause a hole or tear to begin in the pocket?

Of course that could be addressed and fixed or prevented altogether by lining the pocket with a thicker material.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I have given three SPs to younger kinfolk in the last few years, when I got what I wanted which was long-sought SpeedSix Snub and S&W Model 64 Snub. I have carried the SPs, hammerless and hammer models, both front pocket and jeans back pocket, for years, singly and in pairs. In thin dress slacks, have put a slice of cardboard in front to further hide the outline, and it's easy to fold cardboard or a slice of bluejean material and let the barrel sit in it, to protect the pocket material...never let one wear through. I always felt that they were well worth the extra weight, and it didn't bother me. Two and several reloads(SpeedStrips) can be covered by a pocket T and a decent belt eats the weight.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I pocket carried a Kimber K6S for a few years until recently. After a while the weight, which I believe is similar to the SP101 got the better of me. I've acquired an alloy framed 9mm which weighs 8 oz less, and holds 8rds of 9mm +P. The new gun, a Sig Sauer 938 is a joy to carry in the pocket.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Now, that was only possible because of the evolving dress code at work, which is non permissive.
Just, be discreet.

Like I said, surprising. And I found myself having to eat my words, as I didn't think a pocket gun much over 16-20 oz was doable long term. I have waited a few weeks before writing this up, just to see if it would continue to work for me, and it has.
Off and on over the years, and now, I have pocket carried my steel Taurus 605. Not all that much different, weight wise.

So, I've been carrying the .357 Mag SP101 and a reload in a 2x2x2 pouch, plus the .22 LR LCR. Both in Mika pocket holsters.
"Mika good!"

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That’s great if you can do it; why not?

The only concern I would have, is how much quicker will the friction from the extra weight cause a hole or tear to begin in the pocket?

Of course that could be addressed and fixed or prevented altogether by lining the pocket with a thicker material.
That's what a pocket holster is for.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Good that you can do it.
If I tried it with my SP, my britches would be around my ankles.
That would generate another type of “open carry” which would be scarier & more dangerous than an exposed handgun. Observers would probably die laughing.

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It can also happen with a pocket holster. The extra weight exacerbates the wear on the material.
Fortunately I have a great neighbor lady who's a whiz with a sewing machine.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Getcha some TEXAS suspenders!!!
Totally agree, I have relatively flat stomach, so I did not buy suspenders because of a large belly like some say they are used for. But for any type of weight when EDC these offer great support. I just wish I had found them when I was younger. I also have a larger/wider pair that I use for hunting pants.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Totally agree, I have relatively flat stomach, so I did not buy suspenders because of a large belly like some say they are used for. But for any type of weight when EDC these offer great support. I just wish I had found them when I was younger. I also have a larger/wider pair that I use for hunting pants.
Just wanted to add. They also have a great feature that most do not think about. They are a huge asset for protecting the skeletal "Disc".and other imbalance issues for carrying weight on one side. I had disc surgery once. I learned quite a bit from that experience. Get the support and save yourself the possibility of a very horrific pain and surgery. The effects of walking each day with one side of the body is cumulative. Have a foot that on one side is flatter than the other? Know why this is, and what causes it and the medical term for it?
Is It Possible To Wear Suspenders Instead Of A Gun Belt? Suspenders.
Continue reading at: Can Suspenders Work Instead Of A Gunbelt? | Gun Belts Blog

Clothing Joint Jeans Hand Outerwear

1 - 20 of 35 Posts