Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm considering purchasing a ruger sp101 .357mag... Just wondering what your thoughts were on this gun regarding quality, durability, etc...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
If you do a search you will find many post on the SP101..............and there all good, great revolver.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Go for it! It's a great revolver, built like a tank and reliable.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Its a great revolver, very high quality. It's a bit heavy but that's a side effect of Ruger building the most reliable revolvers on the planet. It will last your lifetime.
I have a 2" version and it shouts .357s very comfortably, better than most revolvers its size shoot .38s.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It's one of my favorite guns that we own. My wife carries it regularly, it's quite concealable with a good holster. I love shooting it, have to bug her to let me take it to the range with me sometimes....but then I remind here who cleans it :rolleyes: I'll never sell ours....might even get another. Love it.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I bought one a couple months ago (2.25" bbl with spurred hammer) and i absolutely love it. Great revolver. I wanted the 3" barrel version, but I've been very happy with the shorter version. Very durable, reliable, and Ruger service is awesome if you ever needed them (I haven't needed them with any of the 3 Rugers I have...some of them over 20 years old). Shoots 38+Ps like a 22 and it handles full load .357s with no problem. You'll love it.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Wonderful gun. If you plan on shooting .357 for target, get the 3" barrel. If you want to conceal carry, the 2" works a little better. Weighs in at 27 oz so it has a little heft to take the recoil out. Get the Hogue monogrips for it, you'll like them a lot better than the stock grip. Or maybe some nice wood grips. Some people like those. The trigger out the box for me was pretty stiff at 14 lbs, but it is worth it to get the 9 lb wolff replacement main spring. Easy to install and goes a long way to lighten up the trigger.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have a 2.25" model. Great gun for CCW or in the field. I not only changed the main spring, I used a guide available on the Ruger forum, from a retired gunsmith, to do a complete trigger job. It was a breeze to do with the guide book. I would recommend the 3.0625" barrel if you can find it. The additional barrel length won't be noticed when you're carrying it, but it helps with recoil, accuray and velocity...

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I went with the 3 in barrel. Conceals easy, and shoot very nice.

You won't regret it if you buy one.

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
I just bought a 3" SP101, and it is a tank. I will never part with it.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
On par with the S&W mod 60 but $150 bucks cheaper. I would not do any altercation until I shoot a little. They usually smooth out like butter. Don't worry about wearing it out. The more you shoot it the better it gets. I can't tell any difference between shooting the 2.25 and the 3 inch versions. In the unlikely event you get a 2.25 fixed sight version that does not shoot to point of aim the 3 inch with adjustable sights would have the advantage. I have yet to shoot a 2.25 inch barrel that did not shoot to point of aim out to 50 yds. The holster selection for the 2.25 inch version is a lot better than that the 3 inch barrel. That alone is enough to sway me towards the 2.25 inch barrel.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
I'll just add my voice to those who like the SP101.
It's a bit heavy but that's a side effect of Ruger building the most reliable revolvers on the planet. It will last your lifetime.
I just don't consider a 26 oz gun heavy. In any case it is a very pleasant gun to shoot. My SP101 gets carried often.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
And in case an earlier comment confuses you, there are NO adjustable sights on these. The good news is there's a pinned front sight so you do have options down the road for a fiber optic or night sight on the front.

Mine had a lot of sharp edges when I got it and mine also locked up the first time to the range. Sent it back to Ruger on their dime and in less than 10 days i had it back and it was good to go. They even filed the top of the trigger where it was cutting my finger.

It really is a great gun.
Gideon

1 - 20 of 62 Posts