Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've checked the Ruger Site and all, that is a Chrome finish, yet I'm not finding it on the Ruger Site as Chrome or am I wrong on my words here. That's sharp looking ad the grip is definitely different, where did you acquire that picture if you don't mind me asking.
Guardian - I believe Zero "melted"/polished his SP101 to get that look. If you search I'm sure you'll find the thread. The grips look like Hogue Monogrips which I also have and would highly recommend.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Guardian- yes it is polished, not chrome. I filed and sanded the edges to get the melted look/feel. The Hogue grips work very well. I took the pic...shiny is a real challenge.

sinzitu- thanks for compliments. I will get a pic of the front sight for you soon. Been super busy this week. I will say this...the mepro front sight is worth it! I debated big dots etc and am very pleased with the decision I made. The white outline makes the front a breeze to see on quick acquisition and the glow in the dark is fantastic for my nightstand gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The SP101 is a bit heavy... but you will come to appreciate the additional heft when you shoot 357 mag or 38 +P loads. It truely does not beat up your hands like a lighter gun will. If you get a chance, rent a SP101 and a light weight 38 special gun and compare. I did and have never regretted purchasing the SP101.

I have the snubbie model with a Crimson Trace lasergrip. It is my bedroom gun.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
My first carry gun was a SP101 .357 IMO you can't go wrong with this gun. I carried it for several months until I got my old S&W model 60. I really loved it. It was a great gun to take to the range and shoot.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Heft is good. Sometimes a bad guy bumps his head on your gun. :wink: Not that "pistol-whipping" is a good idea, but one may be interrupted while reloading, and you don't pistol-whip, anyway, but punch with the muzzle.

The mass of an SP101 does indeed help mitigate recoil, and the lower bore axis, compared to a larger-framed sixgun, helps reduce muzzle flip, so that an SP101 may actually be more comfortable to shoot than some of its heftier cousins.

I have been using SP101 snubbies since about 1997, mostly as back-up weapons, but from 2002-2006, they were my main concealment weapons when off the clock. I recently acquired a 3.06" version, and installed a spurless hammer, with the idea of using it as my "primary" concealed carry piece after I retire from peace officering, sometime in the next two to eight years. (I now mostly CC the same P229 pistols I use at work.) I got the hammer through evilbay, back when they still allowed such gun parts to be listed, and the hammer waited several years for its host SP101.

The SP101 is large and hefty enough to behave more like a service-sized weapon, than a pocket pistol, in my hands. I can get all of my skinny fingers on the factory grip, no dangling pinky. I shoot a hefty medium-large-framed DA revolver, with adjustable sights, better than any handgun, period. An SP101, within the limitations of its shorter sight radius, and fixed rear sight, is not too far behind. Reloading is certainly an issue, compared to autopistols, or larger sixguns, but I can conceal two or even three SP101s quite comfortably; my favorite "speedloader" for an SP101 is made by Ruger, of stainless steel. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
I'm generally not as big a fan of Ruger DA revolvers as many but I do like my brother-in-law's SP 101. It is easy to shoot well and handles .357 Magnum recoil like a champ. I like the feel of the factory provided grips. They appear to be well designed. His gun hasn't been monkeyed with but the action is considerably smoother than other Rugers I've handled and shot. The SP 101 is a sensible revolver that is a superior choice for use with the .357 Magnum cartridge over the Smith & Wesson J-Frame or similar small revolvers so chambered.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I bought one, the 2.25 inch model, a couple months ago and then made a big mistake. I let my wife see it.

It's in her office desk drawer now.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Guardian - I believe Zero "melted"/polished his SP101 to get that look. If you search I'm sure you'll find the thread. The grips look like Hogue Monogrips which I also have and would highly recommend.
Thanks everyone, sorry, I've just never seen a polished look like that, good know that it can be done, it's sharp..

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got the stainless SP101 2.25", good gun for the money, shoots well. If you want to lighten up the trigger, install Wolf spring. I did, and am happy with it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine lives in my boot wrapped in a cheap pocket holster. I have never had more than minimal surface rust, virtualy no maintenance, and still goes bang evry time!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ha! This thread got me so stoked for this little pistol! When I saw it at my local LGS last week, I didn't hesitate to, uhhh...pull the trigger. Like new, with box, manual, cheapy holster and box of ammo for $400 flat. Now I'm hot for those wood grips!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
The down sides are that it is a 5 shot all steel gun and therefore heavy when compared to alloy framed guns that are commonly carried. That's pretty much the only down side. Excellent quality, well built guns.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
:smile:

It's in my carry rotation.
Like that set-up,even though I've never been one for lasers on handguns. The SP101 is a tank..can't wait to get mine! Good Luck with it !

·
Registered
22 Posts
How do all of you carry your SP101? I picked one up a few weeks ago because I wanted a snubbie for pocket carry. It is a heavier gun but does anyone else pocket carry the SP101?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Never considered pocket carry for the SP101. OWB 2:30 to 3:30 in a Simply Rugged (pictured) is discreet enough for me.

I don't seem to pocket carry the SW442 anymore, either appendix IWB or hip OWB now. Everyone is different, so are their pockets. If it wasn't cargo shorts it wasn't pocket carry for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've checked the Ruger Site and all, that is a Chrome finish, yet I'm not finding it on the Ruger Site as Chrome or am I wrong on my words here. That's sharp looking ad the grip is definitely different, where did you acquire that picture if you don't mind me asking.
Isn’t it satin stainless?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the 3" SP101 and bought it mainly for a home defense weapon for my somewhat "anti" wife because it's dependable and heavy enough to handle recoil well. But also because it's more lefty-friendly (in my eyes) due to the push button cylinder release. I love carrying mine and the 3" barrel to me is not hard to carry at all and I've read that the 2" to 3" velocity jump is relatively significant and it has a longer sight radius. It handles .357 well and runs .38 and .38 P+ like nothing. It is built tough and In a pinch....you could probably use it as an anvil for emergency blacksmithing. But I haven't found it to be too heavy for carry and I enjoy carrying and shooting mine.

I have carried mine in a FIST #1A and a High Noon Bare Asset (the 2.25" version will work with a 3"). I mentioned this on another thread but I saw someone say that they just clip a basic Uncle Mike's nylon IWB inside their front jean pocket and let their shirt cover the grip...I thought this was a little off, but tried it and dang if it doesn't work pretty well....as a kind of OWB/IWB...semi pocket carry solution.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts