Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read Crews post of the grips for his SP101. I really like the gun and reading this made me get the fever again. But, it is a big, freaking gun! My choice would be the 4.2 inch barrel. Can you carry this all day and do it comfortably? IWB? Let me know. Also if I can find one, what is a reasonable price? Used? New? I carry my DW .45 Guardian IWB and it's not nearly as heavy as the Ruger, but you know it's there at the end of several hours. Enlighten me oh wheel gun gurus that I may see the light and find happiness.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Expect to pay a premium for a 4" 357 SP101. They have been going for around $780-1100 on Gunbroker and are a rare find.

I love Ruger but a 4" 357 SP101 is not worth $1000.

Reactions: Eric357 and BugDude

·
Registered
699 Posts
I like the 3" .357. I don't carry it a lot IWB, but picked up a little Fobus paddle (for a few bucks, used at LGS) and love it. It's quick for a run to the store, or all day if that's what you want to carry. You'll get used to the heft after a bit.

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
If I'm carrying a revolver with a 4" barrel, it's going to have at least 6-shot capability. I'll take a K-frame, thank you.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I carry the 2.4 an love it, extremely accurate great for cc I use milts summer special hardly know I have it on. image.jpg

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I don't own an SP101 but I have shot a few and intend to get one in the future. My preference is for a three inch or shorter in order to take advantage of the smaller size of the SP. I'm with Smitty that if I wanted a four inch revolver I would get a full size six shot, which is actually what I recently did when I bought my 4" 686.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I carry the 2.4 an love it, extremely accurate great for cc I use milts summer special hardly know I have it on. View attachment 71524
I'd put that rascal in a velvet bag and lock it in the safe. Take it out daily to wipe it down and just admire it !!!

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I'm with Smitty that if I wanted a four inch revolver I would get a full size six shot, which is actually what I recently did when I bought my 4" 686.
So would I.

A Ruger Redhawk .44mag, a S&W 686 .357mag, a Ruger GP100 .357mag, or similar format.

For concealability, if wanting a 5-shot .357mag then my first choice would be the Ruger SP-101 3". If concealing that extra inch of barrel wasn't such an issue, I'd have no problem with a SP-101 4", though as SmokinFool points out a 6-shot alternative that's even easier to control and manage would be my preference in that case. Perhaps a 686, or Model 10, maybe even a 586.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you're comfortable with a heavier gun, such as a Ruger sp101, and have a budget of $1,000+, why wouldn't you look for a Colt Python? I doubt a finer revolver was ever made.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
If I'm carrying a revolver with a 4" barrel, it's going to have at least 6-shot capability. I'll take a K-frame, thank you.
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I have a 2+" barrel SP101 and I love that gun, but it is heavy for a 5 shot snub (but it handles the .357 Magnum very well). I believe that the 3" barrel would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I carry my 2" SP101 every day AIWB. It's plenty accurate for any Self Defence situation. I back it up with a LCR357, it is more accurate than the SP.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Like my 3" Sp but really I only carry it when hiking or hunting,really need a good IWB holster.
As far as weight goes my Sp is lighter than my 1911's or P35.

A 4" Sp is going to be thinner than any "full size" .357 because of the 5 shot cylinder. I do like your Idea of a 4" Sp carried in a IWB holster.
Longer sight radius so more accurate,longer barrel so more velocity and more important it just looks cool!

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
Expect to pay a premium for a 4" 357 SP101. They have been going for around $780-1100 on Gunbroker and are a rare find.

I love Ruger but a 4" 357 SP101 is not worth $1000.
That would be a very inflated price for that gun. The suggested retail price for the 4.2" SP101 on the Sturm Ruger site is $699. It's a nice revolver but to pay anything nearing a grand for a 5 shot Ruger is unthinkable. My own 2.25" SP101 purchased new was $550. Granted that was before craziness ruled the land.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I do really like snubs for cc. I can tell you i take my g17 , mk111 , mod 60' an a 642 to the range once a week the SP out shoots them all. I had a action job done on all my guns but the sp is smoother an gives my mk111 a run for the money out to 30, 40 feet. It handles 357 very well , with plus p's its scary follow up shots are right on best snub for the money out there.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I carry the 2.4 an love it, extremely accurate great for cc I use milts summer special hardly know I have it on. View attachment 71524
I agree with Easy8 - The SP101 is, in my opinion, the best 5 shooter on the market. It is without question the stoutest 5-shot 357 Magnum made, and can handle a full diet of magnum loads. I am a "full grown" guy (as I like to refer to myself) and carried a SP101 in a pocket carry orientation. My preference is the DAO version with a 2.25" barrel stoked with either 110 grain 357's or 150 grain PMC Star Fire HP's. The PMC's point of impact is right on the point of aim for the SP101, and the 110 grainers work well where over penetration is a concern. In 38 Spl loads I pretty much stand with the Remington 158 grain Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point +P, which was dead on with my point of aim. (As a note: I have had multiple SP101's and the ammo I mentioned performed the same in each gun)

These litttle boomers define "pocket rockets" and can handle some serious loads. In spite of their robust construction they are easily carried in a OWB or IWB holster. When carrying the SP101's I had, I would carry at least one reload (sometimes two) and maybe stash a speed strip in a vest pocket. In addition to pocket carry I have used Fobus paddle holsters and various holsters in the IWB configuration and carried them all day long with no issues. The one modification I did was install a set of Hogue grips for IWB or OWB carry. When using the magnum loads these grips really helped with recoil. Lastly, you have to work REALLY hard to break a Ruger. The SP101 is tank tough and will keep going when smaller semi-auto's will not. They also are unaffected by the normal lint and grim associated with carrying firearms in an IWB or pocket carry holster. You get a whole lot of gun in a little package with the SP101. Price wise, if you can find them in my area they run anywhere from $575 to just under $600 depending on the variation.

Reactions: wmhawth

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
On occasion I do carry my SP101 (3"). Easy to carry, a good shooter, and enough gun for any 'situation'.:yup:

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I like the SP101 a lot. Just feels so solid and well balanced. My wife loves her SP101 327 Federal with 3" barrel. I'm glad she prefers that model over teh 38/357 as the 327 gives her six rounds instead of just five and the extra round may be critical. She practices with 32 H&R Mags. Real nice shooter. I would never feel under gunned with her SP101 with the either the Buffalo Bore 32 mags or the 327 Federal HP ammo. No matter the caliber you get, you can't go wrong with the SP101 model.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
I use a Nate Squared Tactical IWB for a 30 oz., 4" barrel,9mm SARK2P and it is no problem at all. Get the gun you want and find a GOOD holster for it.:yup:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Sounds to me like you're in the market for a stainless Speed Six. As for the SP101? It's the toughest, most recoil-dampening j-frame sized revolver in the world. I've never even heard an internet rumor of one being shot loose or worn-out. Hot, HOT .357 loads all day are a cupcake to an SP101 (don't try that with an Airweight or LCR). But being anvil tough means they're anvil heavy (for their size). CCW choice is always a compromise. Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, lots of response. Thanks to all. Kinda think I might like the .327 version with 6 shots. I'll have to check on ammo availability if ammo ever becomes available again. Thanks again for the input. Oh yeah, I would love to have a Python. But prices are in the $2K range here. And I wouldn't want to EDC it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts