Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a little luck, I will be in the market for a revolver next month. I have decided on the Ruger SP101. I was looking on Gun Broker and there was a seller with a 2013 model for almost $1000. His explanation was that the 2013 models were hard to find and that there were improvements made in the new model superior to the older models. Is this true (and if so, what improvements were made) or is this guy just blowing smoke and trying to get $1000 for a Ruger revolver?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I would also like to have a SP101. Don't have any info on the"new" models. If there is in fact such a thing. Anybody? I thought the going price was around 5-600$.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that is the price range I have been seeing them in, but no one else is talking about their model being new and improved.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think so too, but I don't know enough to be sure. I figured that the revolver gurus on here would be able to educate me.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I carry two SP 101's picked up each for $350-$400 one new one used. Haven't heard of any improvements. They are rock solid reliable trigger is not as good as a S&W but sweetens with work.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...at my local pawnshop about 3 months ago, I watched mine for almost a month sit there for $550 and offered him $500 out the door...he agreed...two or three tiny scratches shy of new...I'd say $600 would be the highest FAIR price for a stock one...mine's the 2+" factory bobbed .357 DAO...a bit more scarce...with Ruger, I'd rather stick with "tried and true" than "new and improved"...may never buy a new Ruger again...like so many others...it ain't like it used to be...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I'll stick with something in a reasonable price range and leave the "new and improved" one for someone else.

Reactions: tdave and Snub44

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
Thanks for the information guys. I'll stick with something in a reasonable price range and leave the "new and improved" one for someone else.
The prices have gone up since "The Panic," but only to about the the 500-ish range for used.

Some people will say anything for a buck. I don't have a SP101, I'm a Smith & Wesson guy, but I've handled them. If you buy one new or used, I expect it will outlast you by many years.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to order one next month, play with it for a few months (to have up some loot) and send it to Gemini Customs for some work!!

Reactions: cowboyfromhell

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
With a little luck, I will be in the market for a revolver next month. I have decided on the Ruger SP101. I was looking on Gun Broker and there was a seller with a 2013 model for almost $1000. His explanation was that the 2013 models were hard to find and that there were improvements made in the new model superior to the older models. Is this true (and if so, what improvements were made) or is this guy just blowing smoke and trying to get $1000 for a Ruger revolver?
I saw that one. If you buy it at that price consider yourself scammed. MSRP for new ones is about $700. If I was in the market for an SP101 I'd be a buyer for that one on Gunbroker at about $500. The seller is counting on the panic and the nice photography to fetch him close to double what the gun is worth. Be advised.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
With a professional trigger job and Crimson Trace grips, I could MAYBE see $1000, but that's pushing it. I have no idea if there were upgrades in recent production, but even if there were, I can't imagine what would be worth an extra $400. Usually if a manufacturer is going to make expensive changes to a design, they'll make a new model number or even product line. Think about cars - they don't raise the price of a model 60% from one year to the next, no matter what upgrades they make.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
If its the auction I'm thinking of with a price of $949.99 (because 950 is just ridiculous) on Gunbroker the seller is out of his mind. Ruger SP101 357Mag 357 Stainless 3" 3in 2013 Model : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

In his description he states that it is brand new, unfired and that he basically cleaned it. Yeah, that's a lot to pay for someone to clean a new revolver. He said he cleaned it for 2 whole hours so at least at fair market prices here in my hometown that means this guy thinks that his cleaning is worth give or take around $200 an hour.

Anybody who pays that price deserves to get burned. I love my Ruger revolvers but I've seen incredibly stupid bidding on gunbroker like a 4" SP101 357 sell for almost $1200. Rugers are great but a currently produced model should not run in that price range.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Can't imagine that a newly-minted Ruger SP-101 is so superior to prior models that it justifies a $400 premium for the same gun.

If it were me: I'd find any suitable SP-101 in good condition and be pleased as punch I saved $400. All the more for an appropriate ammo supply, so that we can get to know each other intimately.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
brand new Ruger SP101 at my local gun store on Saturday for around $500.....and yeah, it was a "new and improved 2013 Model".

...you pay $1,000 for a Ruger anything, and I may have to come back home to Champaign and slap you up the side of the head. :image035:

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
In the weeks preceding Sandy Hook I was trying to track a 101. It came in $140 less than a Model 60 Pro ($625 at that time). They were tough enough to get at that time and then SH went down. I plunked my money on the Mod 60 before it got gone as well. I can't imagine what could be new and improved. Maybe there's a limited production model that has a pit bull chained to it or a new truck or something.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts