Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded a Mossberg 500 20 gauge for this weapon (new). I really bought it for the range but, in the trade in, I gave them two boxes of sluggers and two of bird shot and they gave me two 20-round 40 grain target ammo. I've got range ammo for this gun and am no newbie (have had a permit since 1992). I would like a simple 50 count box of defense ammo for this weapon, not that I don't trust the people I'm dealing with, but they failed to provide it to me when they really should have. Any input on what to buy, where to buy (if my local supplier is unable to provide and online seems impossible) and how much (since I have to pass quite a few through the gun) would be appreciated. Nice little gun, looks badder than it is. I have a S&W 637 but am not happy with the range performance (lots of recoil even with low grain ammo). Any ideas? Help appreciated.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
A good, high velocity 40gr solid point that your pistol feeds 100% reliably.

Avoid hollow points. With a .22, you want a solid to ensure adequate penetration.

Reactions: maxwell97

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good, high velocity 40gr solid point that your pistol feeds 100% reliably.

Avoid hollow points. With a .22, you want a solid to ensure adequate penetration.
sorry tried to reply don't know if it appeared. that's actually what they gave me: two 20 count 40 gr solid point and I have others from a .22 Taurus revolver. I thought I had a "friend", NRA instructor and all, who sold me wadcutters (god knows how old) and fired 20 rounds, two squibs, if not for design of weapon (stopping cylinder from progressing) i'd be missiing a hand and this guy charged me $50 for that crap. So now I'm very leary. I know what to buy now for my .22 Reuger, god bless.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
Just about any name-brand, high-velocity LR will be fine - Winchester, Remington, Federal, or CCI. I believe the SR22 does not cycle reliably with standard velocity ammo, so stick with the HV.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...if your weapon will feed them reliably, the CCI Stinger is an excellent defense round within .22 caliber...WalMarts usually stocks them...but lately, they've been hard to find...

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
CCI Mini Mags also have a good rep. Rarely have I had "soft" reports with them. They come in 100 round count boxes, I believe, but at the cost of 9 bucks for a 100 count, it's not that big of deal.

Regarding your SW 637, that is a 15 ounce gun. Shooting standard pressure (not +P) ammo tames the recoil quite a bit. Also helpful is a grip with a pinky extension. Are you using the boot grip or a larger grip?

An option is to buy a Model 60 revolver, which is all steel and about 23 ounces, and the weight tames the recoil. But then it's extra weight you carry around if that is your carry piece.

Reactions: Snub44

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CCI Mini Mags also have a good rep. Rarely have I had "soft" reports with them. They come in 100 round count boxes, I believe, but at the cost of 9 bucks for a 100 count, it's not that big of deal.

Regarding your SW 637, that is a 15 ounce gun. Shooting standard pressure (not +P) ammo tames the recoil quite a bit. Also helpful is a grip with a pinky extension. Are you using the boot grip or a larger grip?

An option is to buy a Model 60 revolver, which is all steel and about 23 ounces, and the weight tames the recoil. But then it's extra weight you carry around if that is your carry piece.
Thanks to you all for the great ideas and I will try the Mini Mags, they are available here (if I put in an order, they hold ammo for me because it flies off the shelves). you're right about the 637, wouldn't ever go +P with that thing, it would probably take me with it to the target LOL. WAY too much recoil. I know it doesn't have a good rep as a range gun but I'm working on accuracy. Got the Ruger for fun because it's no fun spending one and a half hours cleaning your weapon after shooting 20 rounds (637). Using the hammer makes the 637 much more friendly, it's an ok gun but not like my Colt. 38 which I stupidly sold two years ago. Sigh. THANKS GUYS.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I did some research on defensive .22 ammo. From what I found the best option is 40 grain solids. Avoid hollow points because with a .22 the expand and don't penetrate as far, also to my knowledge the biggest .22 hollow point you can get is only 36 grain.

Goose

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Just about any name-brand, high-velocity LR will be fine - Winchester, Remington, Federal, or CCI. I believe the SR22 does not cycle reliably with standard velocity ammo, so stick with the HV.
Pretty sure you are correct on the reliability issue and using HV rounds. Seems I read that in one of the first right-ups about the little gun.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Pretty sure you are correct on the reliability issue and using HV rounds. Seems I read that in one of the first right-ups about the little gun.
My SR22 will eat anything from cheap .22 Remington Thunderbolt ammo to high end CCI rounds. It really just depends on each individual .22 gun as to what it will eat. It seems like there is a wide range and spread of guns that will either eat everything or just HV rounds when it comes to .22 semi auto pistols.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've got to were I use either CCI Mini-Mags or Winchester M-22. But those are hard to find. For training I use what I can get, my students just finished a Case of Winchester Super X without any problems.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
My SR22 will eat anything from cheap .22 Remington Thunderbolt ammo to high end CCI rounds. It really just depends on each individual .22 gun as to what it will eat. It seems like there is a wide range and spread of guns that will either eat everything or just HV rounds when it comes to .22 semi auto pistols.
That's good to hear! I have been thinking of procurring one of these to plink with, but was hesitating because of ammunition concerns. Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you search youtube for Tnoutdoors9 he has a video of him testing the CCI stingers out of an SR-22 in ballistics gel. The short barrel causes velocities that are far too low for the bullet to expand, thus causing major over-penetration. CCI stingers are designed for rifles, NOT pistols. out of a standard 10/22 the stingers expanded and penetrated almost half as much. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
One thought on the 637: have you tried different grips? There are LOTS of options for j-frames, and I'll bet you could find larger/squishier grips that would help a lot with the recoil.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts