Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I just bought a Ruger SR9. I love the look and feel, but I am having some issues. Now, keep in mind that I went from store to range with this thing, and that could be causing my problems. I'll know for sure this Saturday.

It seems that every mag has at least 2 issues. I have seen failure to ejects, stovepiping, and two rounds loading in the chamber. Do you think this is due to me not cleaning and lubing a brand new firearm before shooting? It's not the ammo. Ran it through another gun fine. Someone told me it could be limp wristing, but I feel like I have a great grip and stance. I've never had this issue with a full size handgun before, why would I suddenly be limp wristing now?

Any experience shared would be appreciated. I am hoping I can run a couple hundred rounds through it on Saturday without issue. Thanks all!

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
you should clean it first before you ever shoot it at the range

Reactions: Haywood and rocky

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Cleaning is the first step. Could be that, or the pistol just doesn't like that particular ammo. Get a different brand, weight and try that. Finally it is possible you got a gun that slipped by QC .

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Just a few suggestions.
Load the mags fully an let them sit till your next range trip or a week.
Clean the pistol, use canned compressed air for internals, especially the striker channel. My SR9c had a bit of factory grease in it.
Lightly apply oil and place a little grease the rails. I apply the grease with a toothpick in the slide channels.
Keep a consistent grip. Are you using 10 or 17 red mags? You might try shooting half a mag, stop for a few minutes, then finish shooting the rest.
If still an issue, let someone else try your pistol.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
My SR40C was a disaster the day I first shot it out of the box. What was needed was a complete stripping off of the factory (GOOP) grease and light oil (or grease). Also use some decent target ammo to break it in. Ruger in Prescott AZ customer service is really first rate. If you feel it's a firearm issue, call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: CalCarry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ran a couple hundred rounds through it yesterday. I have two minor issues towards the end. It was with Tulammo, so that probably explains that. Will try again next week.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I've had zero issues with my SR9c and SR40c, I had one or two bad range reloads with my SR45. It it did its job there was a big dent in the primer so it wasn't my pistol. If you cleaned it and are holding it like a sixth grader it should be reliable. They do have a slender grip so it could be limpwristing but that's unlikely.

Try shooting with your support hand (not the trigger hand) cocked downward, it feels awkward but this position won't let the wrist angle upward it's a sure fire way to eliminate limpwristing. Put your hands together like your clapping, now turn your support hand downward as far as you can. If you hold the gun this way it's very hard to get the muzzle to flip. Try it unloaded and without magazine inserted and have someone try to raise the muzzle when you're holding it. Then try your old grip and see how easy it is to raise the muzzle. It's all about the wrist angle to control muzzle flip. It takees some getting used to but you will find accuracy and target recovery to be much better.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Firing a new gun, even new to you, without a field strip and function check just seems unsafe to me.

NIB guns need a clean and lube IAW manufacturers recommendation. If they say, shoot a break in period with the magic grease we ship it with, then so be it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts