Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always liked the western style six shooter. I'm considering a Vaquero in .357 to add to my collection. If anyone here has one I'd like to know how well they're constructed, how's their accuracy, etc.? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I've never heard anything negative about them

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
All I have ever fired were extremly accurate. I don't think anyone will dispute that they are the most solid built 357 MAG. If you go with the Blackhawk it is basically the same gun with adjustable sights. All of the newer fixed sighted Rugers that I have fired have been dead on. But if you play around with different ammo point of impact will change. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
+1. I would go with the Blackhawk for the adjustable sights. It would make a great field gun...Vaquero's are really nice and everything Ruger builds is a tank...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a couple of the Ruger Vaquero .44 mag's and I love them. Sent one off and had Bob Munden work on it and it's one of my favorite firearms...

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
If I could only have one handgun and it had to serve all my needs and last as long as I do it would be a Ruger single action.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Just a great single action revolver, built like a bank vault to last several life times. Accurate, reliable and solid all around. One of the best for Cowboy Action shooting. I replaced the springs in mine with Wolff springs and the trigger and action are butter smooth now.

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a great single action revolver, built like a bank vault to last several life times. Accurate, reliable and solid all around. One of the best for Cowboy Action shooting. I replaced the springs in mine with Wolff springs and the trigger and action are butter smooth now.

Really NICE!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've never had a Vaquero but I have had three Blackhawks and found all three of them to be great guns to own and shoot. Very well thought out and very well built. A Vaquero has been on my "Must Get One Someday List" for a long time now, along with at least 10 other handguns. Let's not even get into the rifle list!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had Vaqueros and Blackhawks in both .44 and .38/.357. They are built like tanks, will last forever, very accurate and just plain fun. I prefer the original. more robust model with Bisley grips. However, the new model Vaquero is considerably lighter and thinner. For .38/.357, assuming the plow-handle grip is OK for you, that may be the way to go. I do agree with the comments on the Blackhawk. If you plan to shoot various types of ammo, get the adjustable sights.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Well made guns...

I've had a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 for 40 years, and a Vaquero in .44 magnum for 10 years. They are both excellent guns with good accuracy. Although the Vaquero looks more "authentic", the adjustable sights of the Blackhawk are very useful. But the fixed sights on my Vaquero are right on target, so I wouldn't adjust them if I could.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was just looking at one today. I too have had this on my Wish List a while now. the one I looked at today, was similar to what pirate shows in his post. For me, I think I'd like the 5.5 inch barrel...

If I could get one of the older 44 Mags in stainless, that would be great too. I just can't flow the cash to make either happen right now.

you won't find much negative about these online. The negative comments are likely out there, but very few, and very far between.

I once had a Blackhawk in 38/357/9mm convertable. I never used the 9mm cylinder and sold it too quickly. It's one of the ones I'd like back.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I have a Vaquero in 44-40 with case coloring. First time I cleaned it, the case coloring came off the loading gate. I just checked their website and they don't offer that finish anymore.

Random pic of color case below.

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
Bought a .45 Vaquero in '99 when Jumbo went out of business. 44-40 was to hard to find, and .357 looked like a funny small hole in the barrel. It was the first center-fire my son shot, and he did so well, it's his gun now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here is my Bob Munden Customized Ruger Vaquero .44 Magnum with Iberian Stag Horn grips (bought before Clinton stopped their importation) and my "Huckleberry Rig".

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is my Bob Munden Customized Ruger Vaquero .44 Magnum with Iberian Stag Horn grips (bought before Clinton stopped their importation) and my "Huckleberry Rig".

You've just forced me to get down on my knees and ask forgiveness for COVETING!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

A thing of beauty inside and out. A prized possession indeed.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Personally I'd get the Vaquero Bisley in .45LC. If your going to go for the nostalgia go all the way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thank you Gentlemen. It's not a safe queen either.

I thought about the Bisley, but have always preferred the romantic looks of the buntline over the practicality of the Bisley. It's a visual thing with me. The recoil is quit manageable once you get use to it.
Thought about the 45LC also, but am already set up to reload for the .44... If I didn't already have the .44, it would have been the 45LC for the reason stated above and that you can actually load it hotter than the .44 mag. It's just a matter of tastes, choices, needs and wants.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts