Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was off today and the weather was nice, so I decided to do my monthly Range time out back on the property. I carry a PT840 for EDC and brought one of my cheap Uncle Mikes IWB holster out for the plinking fun.

All was going well and I was having a good time, when I decided to work on my point shooting skills. I learned how to point shoot while in the military and still practice it quite a bit just in case i ever find myself in a tight spot where time is life. I had two targets set up at 20 paces and was facing away from the targets and drawing as I turned in on them.

I was on my forth quick draw of tapping two into each target, when I drew and fired, but noticed that something black had flown through the air and fell about 15 paces in front of me. I looked down to realize that my IWB holster had come unclipped from my belt and been drawn with my weapon; the fact I was point shooting and not using the sights, I didn't notice the gun still holstered and fired off two rounds.

The rounds blew out the bottom of the holster and continued on to the target. I couldn't believe what I had just done and thinking about it, I believe it's time to look for a better IWB holster. I have a Black Hawk Tactical Holster that is OWB and works well for winter time carry, but isn't great for hiding a PT840 in the summer time.

You guys have any suggestions for a good IWB holster for the PT840?

·
Registered
635 Posts
well at least on a life and death situation you know you will make it!!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
There are many good ones on the market. I use and like a Rocket Man.
I also know what it is to draw the IWB with the sidearm; I had a soft suede holster in which I carried a 1911.
I drew and engaged a hostile canine while off duty as a deputy marshal.
Fortunately one shot was all that was needed.
The suede sock was still sleeving the shooter, which of course prevented the empty from kicking out the ejection port.
I threw that one away and carried Mexican from then on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well now, I just have to ask.

Did you still shoot a "tight group" on target
after it passed through the Uncle Mikes?

Were you using hollow points if so did they expand or get plugged with holster bits?

:haha:

As to holster replacement I think any of the forum sponsors are all good
just need to find one that fits your needs and budget.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I had an uncle mikes and threw it in the trash,maybe your gun was trying to tell you something

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If you haven't noticed yet, the good IWB holsters are expensive and the wait time for one is typically long. I currently carry a S&W 3913 in a HBE Com III. It is a superb holster. When I ordered it the wait time was only three weeks. From experience, I can recommend the Milt Sparks Versa Max II, Brigade Gun Leather's M-11 or Brommeland's Max Con V. All are top of the line holsters.
I know most people hate waiting as do I, so your best bet is to check out the members seller pages on this site or check out eBay and Gunbroker. Except for the Com III, I have bought all my holsters from third parties.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That's a Barney Fife.... I'm just saying.... :hand5:

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I dislike any holster which has a spring steel belt clip for just that reason.

If I had to use one on an emergency basis, maybe, but I prefer just about any other belt attachment method over a spring steel clip. Just not secure enough for me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not familiar with the holster in question. Is this it?

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/inside_the_pant_holsters.html

How do you get your finger on the trigger if it is still in the holster or does the holster hang on the front sight?
That is indeed the holster; the weapon had to at least partially clear the holster as I was able to swipe the safety off and get on the trigger as I drew. It may have snagged on the front sight, but I couldn't say for sure.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I avoid clip-on holsters at all costs. Don't even want to be in the same room as one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the :rofl:! Good luck on your holster quest, I will leave the holster suggestions up to the more "Holster seasoned" members.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I had an uncle mikes and threw it in the trash,maybe your gun was trying to tell you something
I bought an Unkle Mike's IWB and noticed the "Made in Vietnam" on the back of the tag and threw it in the trash. I'm just saying.

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
I guess we could classify that as 'shooting from cover'...:rofl:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'd argue that in order to ruin something, it has to have some value in the first place. :image035:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I guess we could classify that as 'shooting from cover'...:rofl:
:rofl: Good one Ret ...

A quality holster is paramount for carrying in any mode. I bet you didnt scrimp on a gun, you shouldnt be cheap with a holster either. Your holster is as much of a tool as your firearm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts