Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was helping my father clean out his gun safe and came across this just Ancient looking holster with a gun in it. It looked like a piece of junk, this wasn't like my father at all! I was like dude what in the hell is this? His eyes got wide he told me DON'T EVER FIRE THAT GUN! It turned out to be My Grandfathers 32 cal he bought in like 1920 something.
I called Colt and it was manufactured in 1905 and is a Colt New Police 32. My father said if you pull the hammer back and use it in single action mode it mostly lines up with the barrel however if you use double action it never lines up. He said it would be dangerous to try to fire.
Colt told me if I wanted to have it redone to work and look like new I would need to find a Good Gunsmith that specializes in that. Or the other option is I can pay Colt $100.00 I could find out every bit of information about the gun from the manufacture to where it was distributed and most likely what department it was distributed to, from there I could possibly find out what officer the gun was issued to. From there I could leave it as is and build a nice wooden case that would hold the gun and paperwork I get on it. I don't know if it is worth anything like that but it is to my father and I cause it was my grandfathers gun.
Please give me any opinions or ideas?
New Colt Police 32 Holster.jpg
New Colt Police 32 Right.jpg
New Colt Police 32 Left.jpg

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Colt police gun ...Nice guns ...I am sure you could find a smith who could fix it ..I think they were 32 long (or 32 colt aka 32 long )

I would find a good smith and at least get told a price ..They are great guns and fun to fire esp in that caliber ..A classic gansgter/cop gun from back then ...That is def a older gun from the cylinder latch

·
Registered
642 Posts
One way or the other get it restored like Colt said, to like new condition, i have a feeling you'll be glad you did.:smile:

*edit: with a niece new holster to boot!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I have that same gun from my dad. They don't have much value. I doubt many were carried by police officers. They are worth around $200.

Reactions: 10mmDWessonman

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go to some of the Colt Forums first and see what you can find out.
First of all I want to thank everyone for commenting I really appreciate it! I think I would like it to be restored to like new. I do think I need to get on a colt forum though if anyone knows any link me away, I'll look for one myself on here though as well.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
First of all I want to thank everyone for commenting I really appreciate it! I think I would like it to be restored to like new. I do think I need to get on a colt forum though if anyone knows any link me away, I'll look for one myself on here though as well.
If you're going to restore it, I would send it to Colt. Otherwise, I would leave it as is and hang it on the wall as a sentimental piece. Either way, I wouldn't turn it into a shooter.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Really nice find. And nice that your father told you about the timing instead of you finding out the hard way.

We've got some knowledgeable folks here who can tell you all you need to know when they log in. Plus probably give you info on the holster to boot.

Lucky...

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I have that same gun from my dad. They don't have much value. I doubt many were carried by police officers. They are worth around $200.
I will take any decent Colt New Police revolver you can find me for $200. :yup:

They were standard issue for the NYPD, so I imagine quite a few were carried in NYC and elsewhere.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Might just need a new cylinder stop? Well worth having repaired!

Reactions: 10mmDWessonman

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you're going to restore it, I would send it to Colt. Otherwise, I would leave it as is and hang it on the wall as a sentimental piece. Either way, I wouldn't turn it into a shooter.
Colt said they haven't worked on that model since the 70's they recommended a good gunsmith.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would at least check with a gunsmith and see what it would cost to get back into firing condition.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Hey, I just thought of something! There's a REASON why repairers of guns are called GunSMITHS rather than...GunCOLTS. (Yeah, I know, it's a language derivation of "blacksmith", just a little early-morning wordplay) :biggrin2:

Nice Find! :congrats:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts