Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I went to a large staff meeting with 125 professional employees. On the agenda was active shooter training conducted by our facility manager, who is ex-Navy. He proceeded to talk about "gun violence", quote statistics from liberal sources on mass shootings, call the AR-15 an "assault rifle", etc. We were further lectured on "run, hide and fight", plus environmental awareness, getting to know people in our environment, reporting suspicious people (including current employees), etc.

I'm a couple of years from retirement. I had a tough time keeping my trap shut. Had I challenged the speaker, I'm sure I could have been given my walking papers. Nevertheless, I will take-up the presentation today with the facility manager and the cop downstairs in private.

A real shame when a gun buster sign is posted in a place of employment and the sign has the force of law. If employers are really that concerned about their employees in an active shooter situation, they would permit employees to arm themselves to counter potential shooters. My 2 cents anyway. I'll get louder as I go out the door.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Call me stupid, but think about it....seriously....

I'm a couple of years from retirement. I had a tough time keeping my trap shut. Had I challenged the speaker, I'm sure I could have been given my walking papers. Nevertheless, I will take-up the presentation today with the facility manager and the cop downstairs in private.

How much are you willing to risk just to make your point?

·
Registered
33,884 Posts
Today I went to a large staff meeting with another 125 professional employees. On the agenda was active shooter training conducted by our facility manager, who is ex-Navy.

Ex-Navy (AF, Army, Marine, CG, service, etc.) doesn't mean squat. I've known too many who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, much less fight their way out. Telling him you ain't buying what he's selling isn't going to change his mind. It's company CYA training and not much more.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
For the last 10 years I had sat through these kinds of meetings.I got to where afterwards I could with a straight face pat them on their little heads and tell them how much that meant to me! I got to the point that for $40 an hour I could smile through the whole thing! I had a Boss that could not. He only lasted about 5 years!
Now I sit in front of my little lap top and read about other people who have to go to meeting that should have been an E mail.

One day soon you will be laughing too! Just remember the prize at the end.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I've always believed that if you take someone's money, you have to abide by their rules. Nevertheless, I've never felt such a need to speak out about policy. I will do so quietly, behind the scenes with the right people, which has always been my modus operandi.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our training actually suggested throwing a potted plant at the shooter as a last resort. That was video based training and about five years ago. I chuckled as I thought how screwed I was if it ever came to be.
Oh Lord, my mouth would have likely gotten me in trouble.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Remember, it was an Army officer who showed us what full semi auto is.

As far as the gun buster signs, they aren’t worried about an external threat, it’s the internal threat they are worried about.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Got the same lecture a few years ago at my work place. I think it is FBI's free training seminar. It keeps the employer from liability by not suggesting you arm yourself and be a hero.

·
Registered
294 Posts
A couple years ago, I was watching the nightly local news and I saw an interview with an Henrico County (VA) Police Lt. that said for churches, they should only need fire extinguishers to deter an active shooter. He said that armed security wasn't need, but if fire extinguishers were placed around the church, one could simply "spray" the active shooter with the fire extinguisher and no firearms were needed for security. Not to worry, the police are there to protect you regardless wherever you may be! (You know I am being snippy)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
One of the big defense contractors has an office building across the street from the one I work in. They've recently eliminated their armed security and now have only unarmed security walking around the campus. I have no idea what their reasoning was for elimination of armed security, perhaps it's just a Boulder thing? I wonder if everyone feels better now?

·
Banned
705 Posts

Even if they ask you for it your boss doesn't want to hear your opinion. The only reason they even do those classes is to tick off a box on the insurance forms. When I am required to attend such functions I sit in the back and keep my mouth shut.

Our training actually suggested throwing a potted plant at the shooter as a last resort.
Better than nothing

I have no idea what their reasoning was for elimination of armed security,
About five bucks per guard per hour

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Today I went to a large staff meeting with 125 professional employees. On the agenda was active shooter training conducted by our facility manager, who is ex-Navy. He proceeded to talk about "gun violence", quote statistics from liberal sources on mass shootings, call the AR-15 an "assault rifle", etc. We were further lectured on "run, hide and fight", plus environmental awareness, getting to know people in our environment, reporting suspicious people (including current employees), etc.

A real shame when a gun buster sign is posted in a place of employment and the sign has the force of law. If employers are really that concerned about their employees in an active shooter situation, they would permit employees to arm themselves to counter potential shooters. My 2 cents anyway. I'll get louder as I go out the door.
Corporate "Training" is often an oxymoron.

Run? maybe, if safe and possible.
Hide? doubt it.
Fight? if confronted, dang toot'n.
Combination cornered cat and honey badger. Game On!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

I think that is the reason that he stated the first part of your quote...he does not intend to get turned out over this.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Ex-Navy (AF, Army, Marine, CG, service, etc.) doesn't mean squat. I've known too many who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag, much less fight their way out. Telling him you ain't buying what he's selling isn't going to change his mind. It's company CYA training and not much more.
That is so true. Not all people in the service have the mindset of a warrior, and those that do ofter set it aside once they adapt to civilian life. Maintaining a warrior mindset for decades requires a high self opinion. That does not come with the discharge papers.

Our training actually suggested throwing a potted plant at the shooter as a last resort. That was video based training and about five years ago. I chuckled as I thought how screwed I was if it ever came to be.
OH that is good because they can take the plant and setit in the ground next to your tombstone. Iy is scary when a so-called trainer gives you advice that will get you killed instead of advice that will save your life. When all else fails play dead. It even works with bears.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts