Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think some of you will get a kick out of this, I know I did. I got a call from a, very good customer of mine, this morning. He asked how long I would be down at the shop, as I normally go in on Saturdays, for a little bit anyway. He said he needed a few things checked out on his car, and works in a office complex not far from the shop and was pulling a Saturday like me, I told him fine, leave the keys at the front desk and we'll come get the car for you. I grabbed a coworker of mine and we went to get his car, we got the keys from the front desk at his office building and proceeded to where he said the vehicle was. Now this complex, is patrolled by security and I guess two guys driving in the parking lot, on a weekend, peaked Barney Fife's interest. We located the customers vehicle, when I look in the rearview and see a security vehicle, lights flashing, the whole nine yards, come flying up behind us. Out steps, Doogie Howser with OC spray and a baton and asks on what authority, we were on the property and what were our intentions. I explained the situation, trying not to laugh, and he told us to "stay put", he needed to go back to his "patrol vehicle" and confirm with his "dispatch", the information I just gave him. After about 2 minutes he came back to my car, where, I'm about in tears from cracking up, and tells us, sorry about the delay and have a nice day. Little did this pip-sqeak know I had my 9mm concealed, under my shirt, that was bigger than him, had he known, he probably would have needed to go home, and change his underwear:gah: When we got back to the shop and told the boss what happened, I was asked since he thought he was an LEO did you inform him you were carrying :rofl: We all got a good chuckle out of the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would think that the owner of the car would appreciate that the security personnel who were in charge of keeping his car "secure" in the company parking lot were taking their jobs seriously. The guy was doing what he got paid to do.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'll have to agree with 40fiver. You didn't say what his attitude was like but that is what he was paid to do. We wopuld really be upset if our car was there and he let someone drive off without checking.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
40FIVER said:
I would think that the owner of the car would appreciate that the security personnel who were in charge of keeping his car "secure" in the company parking lot were taking their jobs seriously. The guy was doing what he got paid to do.

I agree this guy was doing his job, I have no problem with that, but this guy was way over the top. Had you been there, no offense, he was a wanna be LEO. I guess it was one of those, you had to be there situations. Had he not acted, like he did it would, have been a non issue, with me, but he reminded me of the cop at the end of meet the fockers, for those of you who have seen that movie

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
"One of those you had to be there situations." Hey I've had a bunch of those!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Size doesn't always matter...

Double Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
Sergeant Major Daniel Joseph Daly

Sergeant Major Daniel ("Dan") Daly was once acclaimed by Major General John A. Lejeune, former Commandant of the Marine Corps, as "the outstanding Marine of all time." General Smedley D. Butler called him "The fightinest Marine I ever knew," and wrote that "it was an object lesson to have served with "him."

This kind of praise was generally expressed by Marine officers and enlisted men alike and, according to the record, "Dan" Daly deserved it.

Sergeant Daly and General Butler are the only Marines who ever received the Nation's highest military award-the Medal of Honor-twice for separate acts of heroism.

A small man (five feet, six inches in height and weighing only 132 pounds), Daly nevertheless was a fine military figure, erect and well-proportioned. His keen gray eyes looked upon danger without fear. Although a "natural" for publicity, he disdained it and disliked all the fuss made over him. He termed medals "a lot of foolishness." Personally be enjoyed a pipe, crammed with cut plug tobacco, but did not drink.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Sure sounds like ya had to be there I've had a few run in's with the wanna be in my work van working in gated neighbor hoods i love the one come up go what are you doing ... Shining there flashlight at ya in broad daylight .. and should you be hear .. its usually hey brain surgeon did you see the work van in the front ... well yeah ...see i got a uniform on ?...well yeah and hey didn't i even check in to get though the gate?? well yeah .. then go away

Its always them gated communities that are like that too you check in to get in and some wanna be comes up and asks what your doing like you just wondered into a gated community with one entrance that the guard has to check you in :rolleyes:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have almost no respect for rentacops. I could count good experiances on one hand with a few fingers left over, which is pretty much the oppisite of the LEOs that I've dealt with.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Witherspoon said:
Appears to me that he was doing his job.
Agreed.

My dad is a DC LEO retired who for years did work as a "rent-a-cop".
Whats the deal, why hate on/disparage folks just trying to do a job and well?

- Janq

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
So many rent a cops are want to be's, and display it in their attitude. Or they are just the opposite and could care less about what they are being paid to do. This kid did a fine job in my opinion.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Janq said:
Agreed.

My dad is a DC LEO retired who for years did work as a "rent-a-cop".
Whats the deal, why hate on/disparage folks just trying to do a job and well?

- Janq
There's a difference between ex-leo becoming rent a cops vs the plain no training rent a cops.

The ex-leo's are the decent ones to deal with and you can tell it the non leo's are the wanna be's and thats what most of us are complaining about.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It is all in the attitude---On both sides of the equation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll take your word for it Ensane, that the guy was way overboard. I've seen them myself and agree those types should find another line of work.
There are probably a lot of security guards that would love to be an LEO, but can't for some valid reason. I was rejected at a big city dept. years ago due to a failed back xray. I had already scored #1 in the physical assessment and in all of the written exams. I had even passed the polygraph. The xray revealed a spinal problem that I was born with that might one day cause me problems. The city didn't want to take the chance that I might hurt my back on the job. I have worked construction ever since with zero back problems.
However, I'm not a security guard and never had the desire to be one.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have no problem with someone doing their job well.
Unfortunately though, the "rent a cop" industry seems to draw a lot of wannabes. I have seen a store LP guy grab and physically restrain a female, who as it turned out, had nothing on her. As she was leaving, he THREATENED her! Those guys, are the guys that make me nervous.

·
Registered
71 Posts
40FIVER said:
That's a first! I am glad to hear that he was doin his job. I do have to agree with the guy who started this thread. It is amusing.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
+1

Inspector Cluseau, risking armed confrontation with nothing more than OC, all for min $, to secure other's property, well, that deserves consideration.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Bud:
if a rent a cop is doing his/her job well and knows their limitations I don't have a problem. It's the ones that think they have more authority than a LOE or have no idea they have no power at all that get my shorts in a bunch.
Those I get to really play with.
And I do, I do.

AFS

·
Registered
988 Posts
GoodSamaritan said:
I have no problem with someone doing their job well.
Unfortunately though, the "rent a cop" industry seems to draw a lot of wannabes. I have seen a store LP guy grab and physically restrain a female, who as it turned out, had nothing on her. As she was leaving, he THREATENED her! Those guys, are the guys that make me nervous.
And here's the problem I see with the "rent-a-cop" buisness or any security type job similar to it. Most of these guys have NO authority to do ANYTHING except say "please stop" in a hopefully authorotative(sp?) voice. In most cases, "security" is a complete joke IMHO. I get the greatest kick out of seeing some of these security guys all dressed up to the nines in big hats and big uniforms that say "SECURITY" all over them and all they have on their belt is a small plastic flashlight and a set of keys! These guys can do NOTHING to stop ANYONE. They have no authority at all. They might as well be janitors with fancy uniforms.

The security guy you mentioned could be in serious cah-cah if that women decided to file charges against him, which she could certainly do if this idiot put his hands on her.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts