Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me I did not make a mistake and buy a rust bucket. I went to XD talk last night and it seems that there is an issue with the XD's rusting, so much, they have a specific section of the forum just for it. Whats done is done, and I have to live with it, but please tell me the issue is not as bad as it seems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I believe that the rust was an issue only with the 1st batch of XDs. Springfield made some changes to the melonite coating after the initial production yielded poor corrosion resistance.

FWIW, I've had my XD40sc (stainless slide) for over three years now and have never had a problem. A buddy of mine has two, both melonite coated, that he has had for the same length of time with no problems. You might want read the post more carefully to see if they are indeed referring to the first production batch.

BJC

·
Registered
473 Posts
No problems here. You could always get it refinished, doesnt cost too much to do that.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I know Springfield was refinishing those that the people complained about, but even then from reading they were developing issues. I hope mine (as soon as I get it out of lay a way in a week or 2) does not have the issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They are doing a different finish now, it was the earlier ones that had problems. First step contact Springfield, they have been really good to their customers. A new one? I wouldnt worry at all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I believe that the rust was an issue only with the 1st batch of XDs. Springfield made some changes to the melonite coating after the initial production yielded poor corrosion resistance.

He is right! The first gen had a prob, I have one! I called Springfield when I saw some surface rust, they offered to send out a postage paid label, to send back for free recoating, took a total of about 2wks, got the gun back with the latest coating and it looks brand new and is VERY SWEET! Springfield has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with, so if you have ANY prob, call them, I bet they will take care of you.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Hope to have it around the 15th of Jan. I am not sure the age, its brand new, but also the demo since it was the last one they had.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the info. Hope to have it around the 15th of Jan. I am not sure the age, its brand new, but also the demo since it was the last one they had.
If it's a newer gen, you should have no probs, but if you do, call them, they were very responsive, they have a reputation on the line! Good luck, I love my XD9SC!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Are you getting the newer XDm model? My XD Tactical is by all means a keeper. As stated before, I believe the coating has been changed and I'm sure all the older model corrision issues have been addressed by SA. Clean it, lube it and she'll last forever.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you getting the newer XDm model? My XD Tactical is by all means a keeper. As stated before, I believe the coating has been changed and I'm sure all the older model corrision issues have been addressed by SA. Clean it, lube it and she'll last forever.
It is just the standard XD sub-compact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts