Defensive Carry banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
The video news woman said it was 5 seconds. I didn't time it so I don't know. Still, there was not much time involved. Its foolish to not have a way to observe what is on the other side of an exterior door. The report said it was a condo which means he could be the owner which means he possibly could have had a viewer installed. Even without it he might have opened the door just far enough to view outside at an angle. He used bad tactics.

It is foolish to not have questioned who was out there. I heard them announce themselves but it was quick and not very clear and that is from a microphone outside with the police. It is unclear to me if he heard them from inside.

I think it foolish to show you are armed when you don't know the situation. Also, it seems he stepped outside to get a better view of who was knocking without knowing what he was walking into. Normally, anyone knocking on your door will stand where you can see them easily. The police staged on opposite sides to force a division of attention and cross-fire; good tactics for them but anyone that intent on controlling the space immediately raises concern. They are either legitimate authority or bad guys. On the cops' side of things, it appears the first officer was backed into a dead end with no escape possible from that position. That would raise the tension while dictating tactics and a quick response giving no time for de-escalation.

As I see it, the cops were in a constrained space and the way that Mr. Whitaker responded tipped the situation toward disaster. Did he deserve to be shot? No, but his failure to assess and prepare worked against him.

On a final note, given that the cops were given third party information and if there was no visible or audible cause for suspicion, I'm not sure he would have a legal obligation to admit them.

Reactions: redwood66

·
Registered
968 Posts
5 seconds under that kind of stress seems like an eternity. Time seems to slow down. Almost sounds like a "Swatting"? Maybe by the unknown door pounder?
Lot of lessons to be learned though. Sad situation.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Why do you say he refused to obey? Three-four seconds is an awful short refusal time. It takes me longer than that to figure what day it is or where I am.
I doesn't take that much time to prepare your Christmas cards for mailing every year!!!

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
I doesn't take that much time to prepare your Christmas cards for mailing every year!!!
I just print out the forum member list. Quick, easy. What takes time is deleting all of them!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I cannot stress it enough. I've stood in the line of fire on some of those "knock in the middle of the night" things. Most were easily resolved - we weren't hunting for the homeowner. I never had a problem doing the communicating for the officers I was with on those nights. A quick call to dispatch and a phone call reaches out to the homeowner letting them know who is there and why. We never had any problems with that. One tactic our dispatchers used was to call the homeowner and ask them to call 911 and ask for xxxx. That eliminates the last possibility of deceit that could be used against you.

BTW That was never a no-knock warrant situation. Our chief turned that particular bad tactic off.

The best tactic for a homeowner is to never answer the door unless you know beforehand who is outside. I know. That sounds un-neighborly, but it is the only safe tactic given the way criminals operate today. Just do not answer. Figure out how to communicate behind cover.

At 3am I make entry or kicking the door open a matter of suicide for somebody who should have remained outside and figured out how to communicate effectively with me. They should have read the playbook on the "fatal funnels" page.

Reactions: redwood66 and Havok
21 - 25 of 25 Posts