Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - dropped over to my IDPA club this morning for a fun shoot - steel plates! Five stations each with assorted size and layout steels - poppers, small squares, droppers - all sorts.

I have had a half case of 9mm S&B on the shelf for ages and decided to burn some of that up.

MISTAKE!!! Sheesh - my 226 was struggling to cycle properly much at all. Geez - this stuff was giving me about every failure in the book! Part feeds, stovepipes (lots), a total PITA - it was like shooting a single shot at times.

If I use Fed (American Eagle) or as of late some cheap Bosnian stuff I expect now and again a misfeed or something - no probs - tap-rack-bang and on we go.

This was DISASTERSVILLE!!! Only ammo I had with me so I was screwed. This was approx 200 rounds of hell.

I know the 226 will eat my carry +P GD's all day and as I said, most other cheap type ball ammo is usually pretty OK - but S&B - YUK! Never again - that crap will have to be expended I suspect thru a carbine or something forgiving of low power rounds!!

·
Super Moderator
22,132 Posts
Sorry to hear it Chris.
I've never had a problem with S&B.

·
1951 - 2011
496 Posts
Hello. My only extensive experience with S&B has been in 9mm and .45 ACP. I have experienced extremely hard primers on ocassion in both, but more in the .45 than 9mm. I've seen two squib loads in .45. In both cases, the bullets left the barrel but landed less than 30' from the shooter. In 9mm, I have not experienced this, but have had some rounds that simply wouldn't fire. Over the chronograph, the 230-gr. 45 averages about 780 ft/sec while the 9mm is in the typical 1150 ft/sec range in 115-grs, but has fairly wide standard deviations.

Best.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
My Taurus will eat any ammo you can load in it except S&B. Like Chris, I found out the hard way during an IDPA match. Only saving grace was that I had a two boxes of Wolf in the bag.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Euclidean said:
I've come to the conclusion having fired small quantities of both, if you're looking for the dirt cheap ammunition...

(puts flame suit on)

Shoot Wolf and clean up afterwards.
Here is the sad thing......if you compare WOLF, to UMC [remington], winchester - the only thing that will cycle my gun every time is WOLF.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Just me but, will never use any steel cased and/or lacquor'ed ammo in any of my weapons. Even the AK's. I have used PMC to great success. I will spend more money to buy better ammo. I probably do not shoot as many rds. per year as some of you guys out there. Most of the mil.style ammo that I buy is Fed.or Win. My FN/FAL will eat anything but I have tons of the LC/NATO stuff and the weapon will shoot 2" at 100 using it. My CCW/Kimber gets fed the supergreat stuff. I actually wipe down each rd. before it goes into the mag. My range session with the CCW will be at the most 50rds.---------

·
Registered
92 Posts
Phil Elmore said:
Anyone here ever had problems with S&B .380?
I fired 40-50 rnds of S&B through my Bersa .380 without any problems.
Can't say if it was overly dirty or not...the S&B was followed by 100 or so winchester white box and the Bersa was a dirty gun by the end of that day.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I've used that S&B stuff in 9MM and 40S&W. Big mistake.. the 9mm gave me trouble in my guns, and the 40, well, it gave my UPS a great deal of hiccups, including the fact that I could almost see the rounds peircing the paper.
I'll stay away from it from now on ..thank you LOL

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Never had any problems with S&B in 9mm, 40, or 45.

I had problems with a couple of boxes of 38 special (crimp wasn't hard enough), and lots of problem with 357 SIG.

Now, I use it extensively in everything except 357 SIG.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow - lots of replies, thx guys.

I must say, this is the most hassle ever that I have had with factory ammo. I am probably taking the girls to range later on for some further training and will check out the 226 carefully with some other ball ammo and my carry GD's. Hopefully that will all run right. I'll also maybe put some S&B thru my SW99 and P95 and see what happens there.

This ammo performance (lack of!) reminded me of years ago when I reloaded for my BHP and until I got loads up far enough had this exact type of trouble. Pure and simple it was poor cycling due to low power factor - and I wonder even if this batch of S&B ammo was bad in that respect. If I had time and today probably I won't - I'd chrono that against other stuff.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
P95Carry said:
Pure and simple it was poor cycling due to low power factor - and I wonder even if this batch of S&B ammo was bad in that respect. If I had time and today probably I won't - I'd chrono that against other stuff.
That would be a bad batch of S&B if that were the case. S&B always tends to be on the higher end of power. It is definitely higher than US made cheap stuff like Winchester White box and Remington UMC.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well - partial confession time! Took the girls to range for CCW practice but also tested out the SIG again. It was concerning me this problem.

First off - I put some S&B thru SW99 and Ruger P95 - no probs! Then - tried some American Eagle thru SIG - and had some problems - not as bad as with S&B but still not too good.

Followed that by a full 15 rounds of my +P GD carry load - zero problems.

So - apologies in part to Sellier and Bellot. While I do think this batch was uncharacteristically down on power for brand - I do in fact have a gun issue as well it seems. That bothers me and when soon I strip and clean will see if any obvious reason. It is odd because it has always previously digested most stuff with minimal problems, just very occasional FTF's. This problem right now is almost multiple stovepipes!!! +P's tho as said, just fine.

The gun is broken in to tune of perhaps 700 - 800 rounds at least. If I find out anything I'll report back.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Heard of a few problems with S&B , but don't use it personally. Wolf on the other hand I shoot alot. More than 1000 rnds thru my AR.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually Bud - lube is well evident.

After last clean I relubed with judicious amount of Militec1 grease. Yesterday morn because cold even wondered if grease had ''stiffened'' but today it was mild.

No - it is still odd - must get to strip and clean to see if anything obvious. May get done this eve but otherwise tomorrow sometime, tho a busy day ahead. I at least know it will perform fine with +P so hardly as if it is useless.

Need answers tho.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
One of the rangemasters at the range I go to fired about 30 or so rounds of S&B through my P7 with no problems. In turn I fired 16 rounds of it through his 5" Springfield Armory XD 9mm also with no problems.

When I went to LFI I & II in 1996 all I fired was S&B through my BHP Mark II with, again, no problems.

Over on Glocktalk's 357 SIG club, S&B problems are nearly legendary in that caliber.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts