Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I found something to distract me...

I've been offered a 1006 before. To be honest, while I think it's not really the idea CCW for me, I do think it's a sexy gun and I like it just fine. It's not something I'm going to dream about until I must have it, but I like it.

The reason I passed the first time was the gun had some minor issues like needing new sights and I felt the price was unreasonable and 10mm ammo is relatively rare and pricey.

I have another one available right now locally right at $400 and Tangle would approve as the previous owner was good to it... the sights are not the same as the other 1006 I looked at, they're adjustable target sights so either the more expensive option from the factory or aftermarket... some light work has been done on the gun, feed ramp polished, trigger's pretty nice.

It looks/feels awesome. I admit it. I love its long frame and barrel and thin profile and I love the aesthetics of stainless steel S&W autoloaders. That's just great.

But man, I wish it was a different caliber or that it could be converted somehow to shoot something else. 10mm is great but I am not ready to tackle that yet, and I'd never want a carry gun in 10mm unless it was for a special application like dangerous animals.

Did S&W ever make something like the 1006, same profile and all that, that was in another service caliber?

Just curious, not looking to move on this.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Seems like you'd be able to get a .40 S&W conversion barrel for it. Why not e-mail S&W's Performance Center and ask if it's possible. Lots of folks convert .40 1911s to 10mm, why not the other way around? IIRC, Artz has a 1006 so maybe he's got some ideas.
Jack

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you rfurtkamp that's exactly what I was curious about. It seems like that would have the form factor and appearance I like.

I'm just sort of ambivalent to S&W autos on the whole so I confess I don't know the model numbers etc. very well.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Euclidean....if you pass on it...can you PM me the dealer's number and info? I'd gladly buy it.....my S&W 1066 needs a sibling playmate.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Euclidean said:
Thank you rfurtkamp that's exactly what I was curious about. It seems like that would have the form factor and appearance I like.

I'm just sort of ambivalent to S&W autos on the whole so I confess I don't know the model numbers etc. very well.
If the 4506 is still too large, try to find a 4516 (shortest version .45 ACP S&W had in the 3rd Generation flavor) or the "Commander-sized" 4586 (DAO) or 4566 (safety-decocker).

If you want to go modern, then there's the CS45 (smaller than the 4516).

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Euclidean said:
srfl:

The deal was at a local pawnshop... I unfortunately do not have a phone number but I have to go by there tomorrow anyway.
PM and/or e-mail their info whenever you get the chance sir.....thanks!

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Euclidean said:
True... I think it's just the gun and 2 mags though... granted it looks pretty darn good.

May be worth it as a hard investment.
Sounds like a good deal to me.....:yup: .....would be nice of it were a 1066 though..then again.......we have a G20 with hi caps for 435.00 :image035: heheheh bTW..........I found a S&W 625 5 incher that's used.....Tho I'm not wanting that type of Smith..:wave:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
CLASS3NH said:
Sounds like a good deal to me.....:yup: .....would be nice of it were a 1066 though..then again.......we have a G20 with hi caps for 435.00 :image035: heheheh bTW..........I found a S&W 625 5 incher that's used.....Tho I'm not wanting that type of Smith..:wave:
I'd love to find a 1086, 1046 or 1026 for that price! I'd probably find Bin Laden first before finding those S&W 10mm's at that price though.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have the 1066 as a truck gun. I would not hesitate to carry it. Its full sized with a 4 1/2" barrel. Excellent shooter. The largest sized semi-auto I own. Ammo is not expensive. It is believed to be because its not one of those calibers that everyone has. Convience of buying that caliber bullet is expensive. On-line order is best and cheapest in bulk.
http://www.ammoman.com/
http://www.georgia-arms.com/index.htm and there are others...

·
Registered
329 Posts
In my misspent youth, I had a 1026. I traded it off, as I didnt realize how cool it was.

Back then, twenty years ago, ammo was 20 bucks a box. One can get it from ammoman or others for a lot less. Its a lot less in case lots.

I often thought that if I were to go to Alaska, a 10mm would be what I would carry handgun wise.

Fifteen rounds of deep penetrating 10mm sent down range as a final option for bears is better than a 357 or a 9mm. You can't have your shotgun or big game rifle every where you go in the bush.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts