Defensive Carry banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all you gunsmiths and otherwise revolver experts.

If a S&W Highway Patrolman 357 were to bind where the cylinder mates with the barrel (closing the gap) might this be an easy fix for a gunsmith, or would be be looking at a major surgical operation? (gun is not mine, but I am curious about the severity of the issue.)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Never had the front of the cylinder bind, but I've had the rear bind because the ammo that I was using had some "proud" primers... If it binds with no ammo in it though, it sounds like it might be the forcing cone binding... If it started out with high tolerances, a bit of burnt powder debris that was not cleaned off could theoretically make a difference...

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
As StripsDude asked is it a consistent rub or only in one area of the cylinder when it turns? If its a bent crane that would have to be replaced. If its a consistent rub that can be fixed by reaming the yoke but, yes a qualified revolver smith is recommended not just a modern polymer smith.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, gang, for such great replies and suggestions.

Super group of experts we have on this fine forum.

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Thanks, gang, for such great replies and suggestions.

Super group of experts we have on this fine forum.

I'm no expert but it sure seems obvious that you have somehow bent the crane in which case it will have to be replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts