Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello everyone, any opinions on which of these handguns would make the better pocket gun..i've heard positive things about the new Ruger LCR but the grips look some what big,compared to the S&W's..i'm also wondering if the grip size would make ankle carry more difficult? everything else seems great about the LCR..any input

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I was looking at these the other day and I agree, the grips look bigger... the whole frame on the LCR looks bigger to me than the 642... The 642/442 is the gold standard for small frame snubbies... If I was going to get an LCR, I would wait awhile since it's a new design, but that's just me...

I don't think the grips would make that much difference in an ankle holster, other than accessibility due to the size of you're pants leg...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree that the grips look a little big for a pocket gun, I also believe in letting a new gun have the bugs develop and be worked out before I jump on one.

There are also very limited grip options for the LCR while the S&W models have a full range of grips of every shape and style available.

Think about your decisions and go with what you want.:smile:

·
Registered
300 Posts
hello everyone, any opinions on which of these handguns would make the better pocket gun..i've heard positive things about the new Ruger LCR but the grips look some what big,compared to the S&W's..i'm also wondering if the grip size would make ankle carry more difficult? everything else seem great about the LCR..any input
I really do not know that much about the LCR but I have a S&W 442 and it is my primary CCW and I trust it 100%.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I really do not know that much about the LCR but I have a S&W 442 and it is my primary CCW and I trust it 100%.
The devil you know is a better bet than the saint you don't. I like & trust Ruger revolvers (Blackhawk, Security/Speed Six, Sp101) but their LCR is a pure unknown to me. Considering the available variety, accessories, and long-standing reputation of the (non-lock) S&W J-Frame, and since the LCR doesn't beat 'em much/any on price, I would be hard-pressed to pick that particular new Ruger until more long-term reviews are available.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
No knock against Smiths(had a 36,60 and 640 over the years)but have heard GREAT things about the LCR,especially it's trigger. Think I'm going to give it a whirl!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
when i find one somewhere close or less than MSRP and can afford to get it i'll let you know how the LCR is. maybe this october when shoot straight has their annual sale it'll be down in price.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Atta' Boy old grunt! You'll be one of the opinions I'm looking for!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The LCR is slightly larger than the 642 in the grips department. I noticed the "reach" to the trigger was different immediately. I like the LCR grip but I believe the length of the weapon may be just a hair longer and if it it's its the larger grip. It does bother me but I have small hands.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my opinion, the Ruger LCR wins hands down. I've shot both and the trigger on the LCR is much better. Sight picture on the LCR is also much better. Size is not an issue. The LCR looks bulkier, but in reality, it is not.

·
Banned
5,253 Posts
Next year I may add an LCR to the mix.

I like the J-Frame size guns as BUGs and from playing with an LCR in the "toy store" I am impressed with the feel of the action. I also like that it doesn't have the Hillary Hole like the new S&W's.

Biker

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was browsing various gun forums looking up this same debate. I found multiple posts of people that owned several j-frames that liked the LCR so much that their j-frames have become safe queens or have been sold off. Just from handling them both at the gun store, the LCR feels a lot lighter and the trigger seemed lighter to me. I do have reservations though as ruger's past offerings had some bugs (LCP, SR9). I'm gonna get a small revo. and plan on ankle carry so I think that every once will count at that specific carry position.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
finally got a chance to handle the LCR the other day..i was very impressed.trigger is super smooth and even, gun is very light.they were selling for around $430.00+tax...very tempted to get one of these.my only reservation is their so new on the market,don't know if all the bugs have been worked out? if there is any?

·
Registered
425 Posts
It doesn't seem anyone touched on it but I will give it a whirl. I noticed that the grips for the LCR are a hogue (or at least hogue styled) rubber grip. I had to take the rubber grips off of my little smith when I started to ankle carry it because the grips would also grip my pants and I would have trouble clearing my pant leg over the gun 99% of the time. Also when I would sit down then stand up the grips would hold onto the gun and my pant leg would stay up. Also if you are planning to pocket carry it the grip might be a bit big.

·
Registered
649 Posts
J frames are hard to beatbut I will probably buy a LCR when I feel that the bugs have been worked out of it, not that there are any but just don't want to buy till all the opinions are in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I handled and dry-fired one at my local fun-store... I actually liked it a whole lot (wasn't expecting to like it very much).. The trigger was very nice - Smooth and far lighter than I expected it would be...

My main gripe is the bulky and 'sticky' rubber grips (even the CT grips seemed a tad bulky to me)... If there was an option of putting on some smooth-texture, low-profile grips, I would be all the more interested in the LCR... I'll put up w/ the extra recoil impulse for the sake of concealability and being more snag-free...

OMO....

Regards,

Bones

·
Registered
809 Posts
Next year I may add an LCR to the mix.

I like the J-Frame size guns as BUGs and from playing with an LCR in the "toy store" I am impressed with the feel of the action. I also like that it doesn't have the Hillary Hole like the new S&W's.

Biker
Well, actually the LCR does have an interal lock, its just hidden in the grip, but it is still there. My understanding is that its a much better design than the S&W lock, but its still a collection of unnecessary parts that could fail. Given that there is really no other use for the LCR than as a carry gun, and given that it can't be had without the lock (and current production 642 and 442 revolvers can, not to mention all the pre-lock ones), I don't see the LCR in my future.

If it was just ugly, I could live with that. However, ugly and a lock to boot loses. At least S&W's lock can be removed, I don't know if the Ruger lock can or cannot be removed. For range guns I'm not worried about a lock, but for serious guns, its a deal killer.

Luckily Ruger makes a very fine snubbie revolver, the SP101, that doesn't have any sort of lock, and fits in my pocket. Its not as easy to carry there as an Airweight J-frame, but it works for me.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I purchased the LCR and have enjoyed the one time shooting it so far. I shot about 120 rounds and never a problem. The large grip helps to attenuate the shock of the rounds and helps the gun fit nicely into mine as well as my 23 year old daughter's hands. Accuracy was pretty good for a snubby. Got mine for $441 out the door.

Armydad

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
I would not want to buy a new Ruger that has not met the 'time' test.

After it's been on the market for a year or so, all potential problems fixed...then buy.

OMO

1 - 20 of 25 Posts