Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so it barely qualifies as a CCW gun, but I do know someone who does carry it in the winter as such.

I just shot one of these last week for the first time. Now you have to understand that if it says magnum I must shoot it. :biggrin:

Impressions.

That is a big sucker.

It is louder than the M1A shooting next to me on the indoor range.

Stuff fell off the ceiling from the muzzle blast.

In the 4" configuration it kicks about like my 44 mag with wood grips and hot loads. In other words about 20 rounds and I'm done for the day.

If you did have to shoot a BG with one of these I think it would be over with one shot. If for no other reason than it is a flame thrower and very loud. You could flat out miss, but the BG would probably be lit on fire and the concussion from the muzzle blast would probably cause them to go down anyway. Half the people on the range were jumping and ducking when the other guy shot his.

The 4" is just not long enough to burn all the powder in the case I guess. Watching someone else shoot the longer barrel it did not have such a flame coming out of it.

All in all it was fun, and expensive to shoot. The good news is that I will not be buying a 4" 500 Mag. Maybe a longer barrel configuration, but not the 4". :biggrin:

-Scott-

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've shot several .500's, I _really_ like them. The ammo cost is too high for me to seriously consider buying one, for now at least.

I got to shoot a (custom) 3" .500, with no compensator. Talk about a flame thrower :)

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Beware those Florida Polar Bears....

I guess you could always mount it on a tripod for home defense or a set of wheels for carry. Drape a tarp over it to coneal it.

I jest! I am seriously considering a Ruger Alaskan 454/45Colt. It wouldn't be a carry gun per say, but maybe a trip gun where we might be traveling in rural areas where there is a bear population and our dogs are at risk at a "potty stop." I justify the purchase to my wife by using the tried and true: Charging polar bear at the FLORIDA shopping mall scenario.....

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Isn't that what Bud has - the 4".

Somewhere he posted a pic of it. He reloads which I reckon is a must with such cals - heck factory .454 is also pretty spendy tho not as bad as 500 stuff.

Hate to think how much hearing damage I'd suffer from one shot unprotected with these behemoths :biggrin: Even my 9 1/2" 454 SRH is wicked and that at least has the benefit of a long tube.

Ages since I posted one of my fave own pics - but thinking here of muzzle flash, flame from cyl' gaps etc - maybe for those who ain't seen this one it'll show how much ''leakage'' occurs at cyl gap plus the dragon's breath at the muzzle! This is my 5" Raging Lunatic with compensator - funny thing - this was whimpy 240 grain Win ammo - way more flame than hot Hornady 300 grainers at twice the power factor.

·
Registered
129 Posts
:eek: Nice pic!

I've shot my friend's 8" .500S&W, recoil was a monster! You can forget about double-taps :wink:

I've heard that the recoil from the 8" is actually worse than the 4" version because the 4" has a compensator.

The 8" was incredibly accurate though, and a very nice trigger. I hit dead center both times I fired it. I think the ammo is 450 grains at 1600 FPS :eek: We shot at a 12" log, it was the only pistol we had which would go all the way through and it made a heck of an exit wound too. .308 also went through, but a tiny exit wound. .223 did not penetrate, neither did a 12ga slug (I was surprised at that one).

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The 500's are monsters for sure! The 4" 500 S&W is my CCW instructor's primary carry gun all of the time, if you can believe that! He carries it in a smart holster, if you can believe that! he believes that you should carry the largest caliber that you can handle. Apparently the 500 is what he can handle, if you can believe that! Not for me tho, at least not for a CCW! I like them and shot his at his CCW class, that thing was incredible to say the least. I just wouldn't carry a 4 pound 500 S&W gun in my crotch area in a smart carry holster that is pointing at! ________ well you know........ I think that defeats the purpose of the "smart carry" to the "not so smart carry" don't you?

The 500 makes the .45 feel like a .38!

Also +1 on who was talking about the Alaskan 454/45 I want one of those too. I might consider carrying that sometimes in the right holster.

Well that is my 500 story.

Ti.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
here it is in full recoil

ya have to work up to it for long shooting strings after shooting 50 or so full powers a hot load 44 mag feels like a 38

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice pic, Bud. One of these days I'll get a chance to fire one of those. I like the 4inch version but saying this is a CCW is a stretch. If you are willing to do it, more power to ya (excuse the pun :wink: ) but thats a lot of gun for 5 rds.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Its actually not that bad i wore it though the woods this weekend while bird hunting bears were on the move quite a bit so i made sure to pack it

Funny a 20 gauge with birdshot just doesnt leave me a warm fuzzy feeling when thinking of running into a bear

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya Bud that picture was about right on the recoil. It let me know I was alive. Indoors it was loud.

I liked it, but I won't get a 4" for CCW. No need since I carry a 44 mag sometimes and the 500 mag would just replace that as a carry gun if I had one.

-Scott-

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I Want One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got the 8 3/8 barrel version shortly after it was available, and for a nice price too (thank you S&W training discount (thank you gov't for paying for said training)). Anyway, lets just say I have full confidence in the claim that it was designed for "hunting bears with a handgun".

It is so choice. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Bud White said:
here it is in full recoil

ya have to work up to it for long shooting strings after shooting 50 or so full powers a hot load 44 mag feels like a 38

Burp...excuse me...Nuff said... :cool:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
NICE pics guys! Ya got me thinkin about either a 460 or a 500 Smith. We have several at the Store, and yes, I get to take em (used guns at the store) out on loan, in order to evaluate em.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Bud White said:
500 is nice its calling to you
LOL....so many guns.....so few 4473s :biggrin:
I think I can place my hands on an Alaskan too :biggrin:
then again, I believe YOU were looking for that one (the Alaskan) :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts