Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I accidentally came home with a s&w 500 mag yesterday and have a few questions,I went looking for a redhawk 44mag and I got a better deal on the 500.My questions are what ammo should I consider,is this going to be a good choice as a hunting revolver,and any holster options you know of that I should check out,and would this be total overkill for homedefense? IMG_2191.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
There are probably better choices for home defense.

As far as ammo selection and hunting, what are you going to be hunting? It would not be my first choice for a squirrel pistol, but there are other NA game for which it is completely appropriate.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

As far as ammo selection and hunting, what are you going to be hunting? It would not be my first choice for a squirrel pistol, but there are other NA game for which it is completely appropriate.
In my area it would be mainly whitetail deer,and if for some reason a bear or big cat headed my way,I've got other good homedefense guns,I'm really just learning about this caliber,that's why I'm interested in finding appropriate ammo.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I never understood how the cartridge got its 'magnum' designation. Was there a parent case or regular 0.50 caliber cartridge before the 500 magnum?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well I accidentally came home with a s&w 500 mag yesterday and have a few questions,I went looking for a redhawk 44mag and I got a better deal on the 500.My questions are what ammo should I consider,is this going to be a good choice as a hunting revolver,and any holster options you know of that I should check out,and would this be total overkill for homedefense? View attachment 155514
I like the half lug.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I can imagine the conversation....

" Honey, I totally screwed up and came home with a hand cannon. Can I keep it?"

About the only thing I know about the round is that when someone lights it off at the indoor range I shoot at, everyone stops and waits. The concussion is enough that you'll never get a good shot off anyway.

Great looking gun!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts

Buffalo, grizzlies, hard charging linebackers perhaps?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can imagine the conversation....

" Honey, I totally screwed up and came home with a hand cannon. Can I keep it?"

About the only thing I know about the round is that when someone lights it off at the indoor range I shoot at, everyone stops and waits. The concussion is enough that you'll never get a good shot off anyway.

Great looking gun!
Lol,well like I said I'd really wanted a redhawk 44mag but the first shop I went to had one and they wanted less for it starting off then the 500,but I went to another place to see if they had one and they had the 500,and were asking 25 more starting off and I got it for 50 less so that's how this purchase came about lol.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never understood how the cartridge got its 'magnum' designation. Was there a parent case or regular 0.50 caliber cartridge before the 500 magnum?
I maybe wrong,but I think the .50ae was before the .500 s&w

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
Nice artillery piece. I’ve never carried anything as large as the S&W 500 but a Safariland X-15 shoulder holster worked quite well for carrying either a 7-1/2 inch Ruger Super Blackhawk or a 6 inch Ruger Redhawk while hunting.

Model X15® Vertical Shoulder Holster|The SAFARILAND Group

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I know two people who have them, both shot them once and put them in the safe! I hope you are a recoil junkie. I have a derringer in 45 Colt, I have yet to have anyone ask to shoot it twice. Good Luck DR

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know two people who have them, both shot them once and put them in the safe! I hope you are a recoil junkie. I have a derringer in 45 Colt, I have yet to have anyone ask to shoot it twice. Good Luck DR
We shall see lol,worse case I'll trade it off for a redhawk 44mag.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Some seem to think that the 500 is gawd awful to shoot; it isn't. Those grips and all the weight really soak up the recoil.
I find I shoot mosly the 370 and 440 gr. cast bullitos, each with a healthy dose of H110 pushing them. I have a load for the 370 gr. which avgs 1946 fps with a SD=6 fps., a sweet shooter. That's over 3100 ft/lbs of wallop and the momentum of a 12 ga slug.
I've shot revolvers that are a bit unpleasant to shoot like a S&W 340PD with full-power loads and the heavier bullets. The Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull is also far less enjoyable to shoot.
The 500 will stop any critter on the planet with proper bullet selection and it's still a fun gun for 100 yd plinking milk jugs.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some seem to think that the 500 is gawd awful to shoot; it isn't. Those grips and all the weight really soak up the recoil.
I find I shoot mosly the 370 and 440 gr. cast bullitos, each with a healthy dose of H110 pushing them. I have a load for the 370 gr. which avgs 1946 fps with a SD=6 fps., a sweet shooter. That's over 3100 ft/lbs of wallop and the momentum of a 12 ga slug.
I've shot revolvers that are a bit unpleasant to shoot like a S&W 340PD with full-power loads and the heavier bullets. The Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull is also far less enjoyable to shoot.
The 500 will stop any critter on the planet with proper bullet selection and it's still a fun gun for 100 yd plinking milk jugs.
Cool,I cannot wait to squeeze off that first shot,but haven't found ammo in stock around my area yet,might have to order some,what type holster do you use?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
431 Posts
The guy next to me at the range yesterday had one of those. I've got the burn scars on my arm to prove it. Just be careful with that thing, and be sure to wear eye protection and long sleeves. I've never seen a gun spit so much out the crevices. It was too big and heavy for him to shoot without a bench rest...but he was kind of a smaller fella.

In any case, hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Couple points to note

1. If your not into big bores /not fire them ..Only load one round in case you double fire from recoil ...Learn how to hold and shoot it
2. Note that muzzle style wont work with leaded tip ammo ( I think ) or needs more cleaning due to it ..So note that
3. Yes that is massive over kill for most things ..Yes it will work for HD if the first round does not get them the fire ball and flash bang effect will

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
My buddy rented one at the indor range.

8 or so inch barrel and the gun was heavy.

He got 5 shots for $20 and he shot way low with each shot.

would be OK with a shorter barrel if a Grizzly was charging, but I
think the .460 S&W would give you more ammo options.

Still, fun to watch him shoot that big boomer.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts