Defensive Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W 586 4" on my wish list for no particular reason other than I like the way it looks. Already have a Ruger SP101 for carry so there'll be no addition to the ammo dump.
But since the reason is "just to have/shooting at the range" would a Model 29 maybe be something to consider instead?

:schild2:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a 686 and would love to have a 29. For me it would come down to ammunition availability. If you reload I would consider the 44. If you don't I would stick with the 357. Both are sweet guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I agree with Houston. If you reload, the 29 would be more fun at the range. If you don't reload, the 686 would be far better from the perspective of variety and cost of ammo.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Both.

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
I have a 29-10. It's a great range gun and it's one I always include in the range bag when I take family or friends to the range.

You have the SP101, so you are covered in the .38/357 handgun. Yes, the 586 is a nice gun, but for a "just to have/shooting at the range" the .44 is the way to go (at least for me). Everyone wants to be Dirty Harry for five minutes.

·
Banned
216 Posts
I really like my 3" 686+. My 4", wood boot grip 29 is a joy with the right ammo, but not worth shooting with the full power 44 mag loads commonly sold. I need to get some reloading equipment, both for price AND to get the 'in between 44 special & 44 magnum' loads that make the 29 so sweet.

I had an Alaskan 44 mag that was more enjoyable to shoot with full power loads than the 29 is. FWIW, since it isn't a carry gun per se, I wish I had bought the 6" version of the 29.

·
Registered
21,305 Posts
Since it's just a want with no particular need, just flip a damn coin.

Reactions: hick63

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
.44 mag is great IF you reload! If not, I would stick to the 586 or GP-100 Wiley Clapp model! Good luck!

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I have a S&W 586 4" on my wish list for no particular reason other than I like the way it looks. Already have a Ruger SP101 for carry so there'll be no addition to the ammo dump.
But since the reason is "just to have/shooting at the range" would a Model 29 maybe be something to consider instead?

:schild2:
How about a 629?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have a 586 x 4" and a 29 x 6"...they've both been with me for a long time, well over 30 years.
I shoot both, like both, use them for different purposes, and they'll stay with me to the end of the ride.
I started out with a 29 x 8 3/8" in the late 70's. That gun could consistently hit a brake drum (from a pick up truck) hung on a tree limb at 100 yards. But it was like wielding a Buntline Special...just a bit too long for my preference. Affter a year or so I traded it at my LGS for 6". Then, about a year later I swapped guns with a good friend to try his 4" 29 for a while. I loved the look of the 4" but it was such a canon to shoot I ended up swapping back with him to get my 6" back and have kept it since.

The 29 is right at home as a hunting pistol, and it's a blast at the range and 44 spl is a very comfortable load for the range. It's a bit big and heavy for an EDC, but shouldered or belt carried in a good holster while in the field is very manageable.

The 586 is an easy carry, concealed or not, and is a joy to shoot, especially with .38 spl. It's my wife's favorite pistol. I did a drop in trigger/main spring change out and added Pachmayrs the first year I had it which made a big difference. The 586 was the first 357/38 I ever bought and I thought I paid too much for it at the time...around $275...lol. But I've never considered getting rid of it.

Personally, I love shooting .44 in any format...mag, spl. even cap & ball.
but if I were targeting just one of these two great revolvers for purchase I'd get the 586 first because you'll probably see more time spent shooting it than the .44. Ammo is cheaper and the hand/wrist fatigue is less after an hour at the range. But if you like .44 you cannot go wrong
with a 29. It's a classic.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Mostly DA or SA?

Have both. The wide serrated target trigger on the 29-2 does not lend itself well to DA shooting (for me anyway). If you are an SA shooter it won't matter.

Also I load down to around 1000 fps- 1100 fps for most of my .44 fun loads. If I could only have one for a range/fun gun it would be the 586. It is more versatile and more economical to shoot. If you want some fire breather loads they can be worked up in .357.

That said, both the 586 and 29 are winners in their own right.

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
If one is no lock over the other I would it

I have carried or fired most of the mangum guns 357,41,44 etc wont deal with 500 etc due to cost

44 mag is not bad at all ..I would just do as Dirty harry does and carry light loads or specials ...That is normal what I shoot specials ..Recoil is not bad at all ..44 mag on the other hand ...SOme of it is pretty light others woozer ..Mind you this was a 2inch alskan though

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Well, Heartbreaker works better with fohaty fohah than with three fity seven so I'd go with the model 29. :wave:

Dooo doo doo doo doo doo doooo

edit: Upon further analysis, methinks **** and the boys could have made three fity seahvuhn work just fine. :wink:

Dooo doo doo doo doo doo doooo

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Flip a coin. Both are good calibers. Both are very good for hand loaders. Both can be very good defense rounds if hand loaded properly. It would really be a toss up. If it were me I would be more interested in an older 6 inch model 29 as I already have a 4 inch 686-1 that has served me very well as an armed security officer and later when I left the business.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts