Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really considering purchasing a S&W 60 for the spring & the upcoming summer conditions, what do you guys think about it? o btw it's for CC :p

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Is it a .38 model or a .357 model 60? Either is an excellent weapon.

The .38 model 60 is a bit smaller than the .357, and can be "pocket carried." Personally I think the .357 model 60 is just a smidge large for pocket carry. But either will carry very comfortably IWB or OWB. For IWB I use either a Galco Royal Guard or a Remora holster. For OWB I use a Galco concealable belt holster.

I only carry .38's in my model 60 (or 640, which is an internal hammer version j frame). I also use boot grips on the 60 to make it more concealable.

The trigger can be a bit stout - most small revolvers have a stout triggger, though. This can be easily remedied by swapping out the stock rebound slide spring with a 13 pound Wolff spring. The swap is not necessary, but it did help improve my point shooting.

Bottom line - the model 60 is a time proven weapon and if you like small revolvers you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The modern model 60's are chamber in .357mag that's the one I'm going for I like the versatility of the cals. & the ability to use DA/SA :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have had a 60 in .357 for many years. It is a snub nose with a magna ported barrel. All I can say is that if I ever had to shoot at someone, the muzzle blast and noise would scare them to death if I missed!!!

Mine is to big to pocket carry, unless I wore cargo pants. Good solid gun, but the heavy trigger pull makes me cringe when I shoot follow up shots.

I equate shooting this gun to eating your favorite food that you stomach can't handle!!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
I have had a 60 in .357 for many years. It is a snub nose with a magna ported barrel. All I can say is that if I ever had to shoot at someone, the muzzle blast and noise would scare them to death if I missed!!!

Mine is to big to pocket carry, unless I wore cargo pants. Good solid gun, but the heavy trigger pull makes me cringe when I shoot follow up shots.

I equate shooting this gun to eating your favorite food that you stomach can't handle!!
I have a thread about changing the springs - makes a huge difference if you just put in a 13 rebound spring - and it's surprisingly easy with the right tool....

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
a model 60 and/or model 36 make for good carry any time. if you can find a bobbed hammer or make one yourself even better.

·
Super Moderator
17,067 Posts
Don’t carry it often but a 38SPL Model 60 does work well for pocket carry.

M-60R.JPG M-60L.JPG

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I carry a MOD 60 357 more than anything else. This what I use for IWB FIST, INC..
This what I use for OWB FIST, INC.. With the 2.25 inch barrel I get a tad over 1500 fps, so don't let folks tell you that you lose all the advantage of 357 mag with a snub nose. The factory grip makes shooting 357 mag a breeze.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Your singing my song. View attachment 71051 this my 60 all prettied up including getting rid of the internal lock
My goodness that's pretty. I have a 65 and a 66 that I dearly love, but even with the custom grips on the 66 it doesn't look as nice as this one.
I'd carry that just to keep something pretty next to me all the time.

Reactions: Haystacker

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...had a 2" 60 in .38 wayback...Packy Compac grips made it easy to shoot and carry...
...have a 649 now...stainless humpback .38...same size...good money well spent for any all-steel model or stainless...

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
Good revolver, solid choice. Personally, I would and do carry an Airweight instead.

·
Banned
2,648 Posts
My father left me his 1966 model 60, it was my first EDC and I carried it for close to twenty years. My older brother now happily carries it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Good steel revolver, and the newer models have that pinned front sight and you can add night sights - major plus

·
Registered
908 Posts
Carried a 36 for years. Never a problem; except for the fact that I sold it. :aargh4:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm really considering purchasing a S&W 60 for the spring & the upcoming summer conditions, what do you guys think about it? o btw it's for CC :p
Great choice! The steel frame Model 60 is IMO too heavy for pocket carry but is about the lightest gun I'd want to shoot actual .357 ammo out of.

I'm currently on the fence over getting a Model 60 or a Ruger SP101. Both great little .357 revolvers.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Get it!
Here's my two. Both are 357's! :smile:

And their little brother...:image035:
(Can you tell that I love j-frames?)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts