Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly a CCW revolver, but for you big-bore S&W fans, the video below features the 1985 reincarnation of the classic Target Model of 1950. It's a sweet shooter, and it chambers the timeless 44 Special cartridge. I hope you enjoy the video, and be sure to let me know your thoughts!

HRF

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
Skeeter Skelton agitated for the return of the Smith & Wesson Model 24 .44 Special in the early 1980s and I was lapping it all up. Already had a 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model of 1926 from the 1930s at the time. Thought it'd be keen to purchase and use a newly made Smith & Wesson .44 Special revolver. Had my pawn shop bank customer/friend/gun pusher order a 6-inch blue Model 24 as soon as they became available.

Shot it a few years and it was typically .44 Special accurate (that is to say very accurate). Only thing was, the barrel was canted enough to be apparent and the adjustable rear sight had to be cranked fully to the right to be zeroed on target. While its accuracy was pleasing, this issue proved ultimately unsatisfying and it was traded away, likely for 1903 Springfields as I was gone on collecting '03s at the time. Should have returned it to the factory for a barrel tweak instead.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I managed to snag a 4" version a few years ago and even sent it back to the Mothership for the recall check. Very accurate and capable combat revolver. My brother borrowed it a couple times for Alaska fishing trips loaded with the Buffalo Bore hot 255 gr hard cast lead SWC.

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
Beautiful!

Mine's the newer "Classic" edition, Model 24-6:

M24Left.jpg

Love them .44 Specials!

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought one of these when they first came out. Beautiful gun and it shot very well. I eventually sold it to buy a Model 27 in 5" barrel version.

The .44 Special is, well kind of special.

·
Super Moderator
19,229 Posts
In addition to all that's been said - for me, reloading .44 Special is simply more enjoyable than the other calibers I load. Maybe because my single-action .44 is purely a fun gun? Not defensive, not for competition, but just for launching substantial chunks of lead downrange? There's just something really rewarding about dumping a load of Unique into the gaping maw of those big-bore case mouths and crimping a heavy, cast lead SWC slug on top of 'em. Plus, there's no comparison between handling these chunky cartridges compared to, say, 9mm (nothing against 9mm, I load and shoot plenty). Call me an antiquarian or a traditionalist, I just feel more connected to the whole shooting "experience" with the .44 Special.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like the name says, it's "Special".

HRF

In addition to all that's been said - for me, reloading .44 Special is simply more enjoyable than the other calibers I load. Maybe because my single-action .44 is purely a fun gun? Not defensive, not for competition, but just for launching substantial chunks of lead downrange? There's just something really rewarding about dumping a load of Unique into the gaping maw of those big-bore case mouths and crimping a heavy, cast lead SWC slug on top of 'em. Plus, there's no comparison between handling these chunky cartridges compared to, say, 9mm (nothing against 9mm, I load and shoot plenty). Call me an antiquarian or a traditionalist, I just feel more connected to the whole shooting "experience" with the .44 Special.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Model 27 is another sweet ride; especially in the 5" variation!

HRF

I bought one of these when they first came out. Beautiful gun and it shot very well. I eventually sold it to buy a Model 27 in 5" barrel version.

The .44 Special is, well kind of special.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts