Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this at Kittery Maine today for the price of 425.00 I placed it on hold, pending my purchase. I'm a bit bewildered to see this gun, a Smith 629-5 3" BBL heavy lug round butt, with FIXED SIGHTS..the gun is VERY tight. I had to take a couple of pics to show you, cuz I've never seen one with fixed sights..I'm thinking of a great carry piece. Has ANYBODY ever seen one of these? I also found a S A XD40 Hi cap gun for 325.00 take a look at the pix and give me your opinions. I want both, but need to place one on a 60 day hold <lay-a-way> as they do it for customers ..I'm leaning heavily on the Smith and placing the other on hold with deposit...
Thanks to all my friends here
Bob
:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
WOW! Fixed sights - no way would I have expected that. I have a 4" 629-6 but sights are ''usual''. I'd think - for now - that has to be a rare find.

Forget the XD - get that Smith - ya hear!!! :tongue:

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find anything about the gun...I think it may have been a lew horton special......it really feels good in my hands....it also has a K Frame round butt.....

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I'd go for that Smith! That would be the perfect carry gun for every day in that caliber I think. Good price too, and good eye candy!

I'll admit trutfully I do shoot a heck of a lot better with adjustable sights, but I wish they made more guns with fixed sights. They're a lot more rugged and stand up to the real world better.

I found in my research on the 629 I just deposited on that the two best generations of the model seem to be the "-4" and the "-5". Honestly MIM parts don't bother or worry me even though they are soulless and ugly sometimes. The "-5" seems to have all the improvements of the lockwork and I do believe it is also a pre internal lock piece, so it sounds like a winner to me! :thumbup:

I really like the XD too but the XD or something like it will always be there. You can't get another one of those vintage revolvers.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for info.......Kittery will SEND you pix of guns you may want to purchase from them.......I'm telling ya...I've been finding weird things up there..I saw a "longhorn Arms SAA LEFT HAND 45 Long Colt there tonight...for 1650.00 SN LH01 I've never seen anything like that 6 shooter. (the loading gate and extractor rod were on the LEFT side for the weapon.and it spun counter clockwise....( or the opposite way a regular revolver would rotate)

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
(the loading gate and extractor rod were on the LEFT side for the weapon.and it spun counter clockwise....
Shucks - that was just a ''Friday night'' gun - the guys were in a hurry to get home for the weekend! :tongue:

Or - I know - it was photographed in a mirror - yeah that's it ... plus, add a free-spin pawl. There ya go - mystery solved!
:biggrin:

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got to handle this gun (the Left hand verson SAA) I handled it as another guy was placing it on Hold at Kittery.....I really have never seen anything like it....it was engraved and in Stainless Steel.with a rounded butt with dark walnut grips......

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK.here's the info on the gun I saw.Texas Longhorn Armshttp://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_175_29/ai_n13466588..Bill Grover
so seeeeeeeeeeeeeee I wasn't tellin fibs

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Euc??
I'd like to start something like that.....some kind of wierd find guns forum.I'm sure we've all seen odd things out there....BTW....ALL of you have convinced me to grab that 629....I think it would make a nice boat anchor <LOL>
actually.i think it would be a good catch due to snag free sights lOL...soooooooooo I'm gonna run my widdle butt yup there tomorrw and snag it.... :biggrin: I'm on a roll I think.......

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
It is a 629 round butt "Classic Carrry" made in 1999. If lock-up is good I would get it. If you aren't going to get it let me know, I'll take it.

-Scott-

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Scott
THANKS for the info on the gun!! Where on Earth did you dig that info up on it? I've been looking all over, and wasn't able to find it.. BTW, I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, should another one surface in my area. I did find a Scandium Smith 44 mag with a 4" BBL at the same place :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The best reference I have found is the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson Second Edition by Jim Supica and Rick Nahas.

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/scsw.htm

Jim and Rick have done a very good job in cataloging S&W firearms and other S&W products. There are others out there as well, but Jim and Rick have the biggest and best of the bunch. Yes, there are still errors and anamolies, that are being compiled for a rumored 3rd edition.

Jim's website and catalog are also great sources for rare and hard to find firearms of all manufacturers. He also publishes a periodic catalog called the Old Town Station Dispatch that I would recommend if for no other reason than the great guns he documents in it.

My niche is snubbie S&W N-Frames 3" barrels in particular. So I have collected a few books and documentation on these fairly rare guns. After I relocate I look forward to visiting Jim. I am still the student in this area. I have yet to join the S&W Collectors Association, but will likely do that after my life settles down a little after my move.

Also if you really want the scoop on your S&W go here
http://customersupport.smith-wesson.com/pages/history_request

For a modest fee the S&W Historian, Mr. Roy Jinks, will research your gun by serial number and you will have a history of it. I have done this with most of my N-Frame snubbies.

-Scott-

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
:biggrin: Thanks Scott
In the early 80's I've had the pleasure of speaking to Mr. Jinks about many Smith guns. I got my first 629 6" in early 1980 from a sporting goods shop where I worked.....the info Roy gave me presented me with knowledge that I had recieved one of the very first 629's produced <I bought it for the price of 335.00 at that time.. (dealer cost)
LOL.I never thought of asking Roy about this peice, but now I will
See that LOL..as I get older, my mind begins to go blank geesh :biggrin:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Dunno if it's the same species, but I thought someone here might be interested:

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?disc=183178;article=12805;title=Gary Reeder Custom Guns
"We picked up a few more guns yesterday out of that same estate that we have been selling guns out of for 2 years. The older fellow as a collector and liked our custom guns and therefore had a bunch of them. But he was not a shooter and of all the guns we have picked up from him, maybe 3 have been fired, all the rest are just like he got them. The latest that we picked up were as follows...
A S&W Backpacker, model 629, 3 inch 44 mag. There were very few made that were actually sold in boxes marked Backpacker. this one goes back to the early to mid 90's and is engraved with a full action job. Appears unfired in the box...$1095"

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the extra info Scratchy! :biggrin:
I think we're on to something, as you and Scott keep on hitting the nail on the head.. I also saw one, on GunsAmerica.com , with class B engraving for 2300.00......pretty hefty price. That one was called a "Tactical Competition Special Edition" from the Performance Center. I also took it to Riley's Sport Shop in Hooksett NH, where they all took a peek, and darned if they asked me if I wanted to sell it. I gatiously declined of course :biggrin:

·
Registered
299 Posts
This won't be 'traditional' engraving-I'm not sure how to describe it(guess I have to take more pix : )) If I can get out early enough I'll trot over and take a looksie.

I took Pug down to Phx a few weeks ago for a holster and grips. She did turn some heads and got some offers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts