Defensive Carry banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
CLASS3 - Charters appealed to me too - except over the years I have developed this concern over how fast they seem to shoot lose! Range plinkers to me - as against total carry pieces.

Did someone say 629 Mountain Gun!?? :tongue: Pity mine has the spider hole tho!

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
NICEEEEEEEEE peice ya got there!! I handled one at Riley's today, in 4" and it felt lighter than my 3" 44 I like those CT grips

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think they may have, but only if you reload your own.........I reloaded 265Gr flat points with 23Gr of 2400 powder.with a mag primer.........real hot....but it tore thru trees like a freight train

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
CLASS 3 has that nailed. Mag-Tec's thru that gun are not too bad - tho stiff - many cyl's full still a tad less than comfortable. But if homeloads - say 24 grains H110 behind a 250 Keith - well then things get a tad worse! :tongue:

For a lot of .44 hot stuff shooting - the long tube SRH is the deal - can shoot that all day! :smile:

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You Becha Chris!!
I was loading for the Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5 inch and Super Redhawk a while ago.....23 gr of 2400 with a 265 gr Hornaday FP bullet tore thru trees and what ever else got in the way!! The H110 was SUPER for all the hot loads too. I also used Red Dot for the shorter 44 Mag handloads in the short BBls and light bullets.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Ahhh Red Dot - good to hear of another user. Back when I did my long range handgun stuff - 100 and 300 yards in 80's. I gave up on super hot loads, despite most folks always seeming to think ''hot'' = better!! Groups were lousy. (one guy in his .357 BH - ran 180's over a (very) compressed charge of Blue Dot - not at all sure what pressures would have been measured but - it was good he had a strong gun!)

Turned out after much experimenting that my fave Keith 250 SWC sat very happily on 8.5 of Red Dot. Even at 300, with sights dialed in - it was amazing.

Sure- we are talkin' howitzer trajectory but hey - heavy bullet - consistent trajectory. Good results!! It was probably approx a 44 spl type load - ''stout'' but very pleasant.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
:biggrin: I think I loaded 8.5 to 9.5 gr of Red dot with a 200 Gr HP Mag primer in the 44 Mag, coming out of a 4 inch BBL. I also tried H110 in the same configuration, using the either the Speer, or the Siera Book..it's been so long that I can't remember which book it was, but WOW, what a flash and pretty good recoil! Not bad for a defense load :biggrin:
The Smiths always seem to come straight back but the Rugers seem to roll upward in your hand when it comes to recoil, but either way.
LOTSA FUN STUFF!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts