Votes: 54 56.8%
  • Stainless colored

Votes: 41 43.2%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those that have this model or similar. Just wondering how the finish is on this firearm (which one protects more and last longer). I am debating going with either the black or the aluminum/stainless model.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I can't say for sure how long the black finish will last or how it will look 10 years from now i just had to vote for the black cause i love the look of it. :)

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Bought a 642 CT......Stainless finish hammerless J frame with Crimson Trace grips for the wife. I think the stainless finish will stand up to the abuse these small revolvers take.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I don't like airweights, a few extra ounces don't bother me so give me a solid SS firearm. I have the 649 and have pocket carried it in a Mika holster and she still cleans up and looks like new!!

NCH

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I don't like airweights, a few extra ounces don't bother me so give me a solid SS firearm. I have the 649 and have pocket carried it in a Mika holster and she still cleans up and looks like new!!

NCH
IF the gun had been for me I would agree, but for the wife those few ounces COULD really be the difference between her carrying it all the time and leaving it at home when she needs it.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Black for me. I don't want anyone to see me coming, :wink:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
All "6" prefixed Smith's ARE stainless. Are you talking a refinish?:confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nickle model 49, 27 years in the pocket and on my ankle as a LE BUG. Still looks as good as when Dad gave it to me as an Academy graduation present.

·
Registered
109 Posts
All "6" prefixed Smith's ARE stainless. Are you talking a refinish?:confused:
I believe the OP is asking about our preferences between the 438 (Blue/Black) as opposed to the 638 (aluminum/stainless) finishes of the Airweight humpbacks.

I have been pocket carrying a 638 for 5 years. Even with all the perspiration it gets every summer, the metal is pristine. I choose less corrosive metal over “it looks cool in tactical black” every time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts