Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if holsters for the 640 will work with the 642? I know they are both J frames but wasnt sure if they are compatible or not. I'm new to revolvers and got a 642 and see a lot of holsters for the 640 so was wondering.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I own a 360. I will suggest calling the holster manufacturer because the 360 is DEFINITELY a different holster than most other j-frames. If you do not see your specific weapon listed on their chart as fitting I would call them to be SURE it will fit or you will chance having another holster in a drawer.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Does anyone know if holsters for the 640 will work with the 642? I know they are both J frames but wasnt sure if they are compatible or not. I'm new to revolvers and got a 642 and see a lot of holsters for the 640 so was wondering.
My 640 has a 2-1/8" barrel. I think they all do, but I could be wrong. The 642 is 1/4 shorter (1-7/8"). Other than the barrel length, all of the J frames will fit the same holsters. My two kydex holsters from Alabama Holster Co and Theis Holsters fit both the 640 and 642 (and my 638 and 36). They were just ordered as "J frame" holsters. I didn't have to specify the model when ordering. These holsters have open ends at the muzzle. I had a leather holster that was custom made for the shorter 642. It didn't work with the 640 since it has a nearly closed end. I sold it and ordered another leather holster made for the longer 640 and now use that one for all of my J frames. That extra 1/4" of leather at the end of the holster is unnoticeable.

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
I have several holsters for the 640 and 642, and both guns fit each. I've not yet seen a holster that fits the 642 not the 640.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The original 640 38 Spec would have the same dimensions as the 642. When the 640 went to 357, it was changed to include a longer thicker barrel profile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts