Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm really stuck between buying a 640 Pro Series or a M&P 340 (w/o lock), and need some help deciding!

There's a lot of similarities between the two, but both of them have some distinct differences. Both have the internal hammer, no internal lock option, .357 mag, j frames, similar in price, and are both awesome guns!

The 640 Pro has the full night sights, moon clips, and upgraded looks (fluted barrel), but the M&P 340 is considerably lighter (13oz scandium-alloy vs 23oz stainless steel), has the nice black finish, and still has the big dot front sight.

Whichever I choose will be an EDC and will endure a lot of practice time at the range. I currently don't have a gun that allows pocket carry, so that would be a nice option to have with a j frame since I live in Florida and wear a suit and tie 5 days per week.

I was considering a 649, but think I have since ruled it out - now it's between the 640 Pro Series and M&P 340.

I'm stuck between the two - help me decide and tell me which one you would pick!

Does anybody have both? Any issues with jumping the crimp on the M&P 340? Trigger pull and any other comparisons on the two?

I guess the biggest question is if the lighter weight and slight bit of more concealability from the M&P 340 is worth a little more recoil, and giving up the extra features on the 640 Pro?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
From what I here nobody likes shooting 357 from those guns. The heavier gun may be ok with 38 practice and some 38+P. I have a Ruger LCR357 it weighs 17 oz I believe. Full house 357 was never fun. Self defense rounds such as 125gr Corbon or Gold Sabor was ok for a box or so. After Arthritis set in I quit the 357 and stick with 38 and 38+P. Try it if possibal before you buy. They are not cheep. I myself wood go with a 442 and carry Speer Gold Dot 135gr 38+P. If your young and strong you my think I'm nuts but, you might want to try it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I own 640 Pro, and it is a great gun. Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot with 38 SP loads. As Haywood stated, these aren't too much fun with full house 357 loads. The 640 does not make a very good pocket gun. It's just a little too big and heavy for that purpose, but can be done. I carry mine in a Tucker IWB holster and it conceals great. But.....with that said, during the hotter months here in Texas, I carry my trusty S&W 638, 99% of the time in a Mika pocket holster. I practice with 38 specials in my 640 Pro and carry 357 Golden Saber when carrying it. I've never handled the M&P 340 so I can't comment on that one. If you are planning on doing a lot of practice shooting, my vote would be the 640 Pro. The extra weight and better sights will enhance your shooting experience. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I own 640 Pro, and it is a great gun. Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot with 38 SP loads. As Haywood stated, these aren't too much fun with full house 357 loads. The 640 does not make a very good pocket gun. It's just a little too big and heavy for that purpose, but can be done. I carry mine in a Tucker IWB holster and it conceals great. But.....with that said, during the hotter months here in Texas, I carry my trusty S&W 638, 99% of the time in a Mika pocket holster. I practice with 38 specials in my 640 Pro and carry 357 Golden Saber when carrying it. I've never handled the M&P 340 so I can't comment on that one. If you are planning on doing a lot of practice shooting, my vote would be the 640 Pro. The extra weight and better sights will enhance your shooting experience. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Good luck!
Great feedback! I love the features on the 640 Pro, plus it's just an awesome looking gun to top it off. I live in Florida, so I definitely understand your point in concealing in the hot weather. I agree that the 640 would be good in an IWB holster, but it would be nice to have the option to pocket carry especially while I'm in suit pants at work.

I do plan on putting a lot of rounds through either one at the range, which is where the extra weight of the 640 could be nice. I also understand that .357 in a j frame regardless of the model will be eye opening to say the least, but I'm willing to put in the time to become proficient with it.

Do you ever pocket carry the 640 pro? If so, what kind of pants and holster?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have a 340 m&p. It's great to carry, shooting it isn't exactly fun. I think I've shot a total of 8 or 9 .357 rounds through it. Literally feels like you're wrapping an aluminum bat around a metal pole. It makes your fillings rattle.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
A 13 oz gun even with standard .38 rounds is far from enjoyable. My Taurus clone of a Bodyguard is 16 oz empty, and after 50 rounds of ball plus 5-10 rounds of +P carry ammo, I'm happy to relax with a 1911 in .45.

Whichever I choose will be an EDC and will endure a lot of practice time at the range.
There's little that will dissuade you from ample practice more than a gun that hurts when you shoot it. For that reason alone, I'd shy away from the 340 and opt for the 640. And just a thought on the latter - moon clips are great in competition, but they lack robustness if carried loosely in a pocket, and recharging them is better suited for a bench than in the field. For a defensive snub, I'd stick with conventional loading with speed strips and good speedloaders, like the Safariland Comp II.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
A 13 oz gun even with standard .38 rounds is far from enjoyable. My Taurus clone of a Bodyguard is 16 oz empty, and after 50 rounds of ball plus 5-10 rounds of +P carry ammo, I'm happy to relax with a 1911 in .45.

There's little that will dissuade you from ample practice more than a gun that hurts when you shoot it. For that reason alone, I'd shy away from the 340 and opt for the 640. And just a thought on the latter - moon clips are great in competition, but they lack robustness if carried loosely in a pocket, and recharging them is better suited for a bench than in the field. For a defensive snub, I'd stick with conventional loading with speed strips and good speedloaders, like the Safariland Comp II.
BINGO!

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth.

Personally, the only lightweight .357 that I have been able to put adequate amounts of mag rounds thru, to become proficient with, is my LCR .357...and it still gets my light handloads for 90% of my shooting.

Reactions: Haywood

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a 640 and it gets your attention with .357 loads! I have pocket carried it (in a Mika holster - best there is), but also do AIWB. If you are going to pocket carry, make sure you have a really good belt to support the gun properly, especially if you will be wearing a suit (a good 1 1/4" belt with an internal stiffener should do the job).

Whichever of the two, 640 or 340, you decide on, look at Buffalo Bore Tactical .357 loads that are designed for short barrels and have a (slightly) reduced recoil. I find them to be very accurate in my 640. Also consider that with a revolver you have the option of having a couple different loads on board. For example, you could have the first 2-3 chambers loaded with standard .38 or .38 +p and save the .357's for the last couple chambers. That way you have the availability of the .357, but will hopefully not get to the point you need to use it (especially in the 340!).

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Also consider that with a revolver you have the option of having a couple different loads on board. For example, you could have the first 2-3 chambers loaded with standard .38 or .38 +p and save the .357's for the last couple chambers. That way you have the availability of the .357, but will hopefully not get to the point you need to use it (especially in the 340!).
True, but you can also have reduced and full power loads with a semi, also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went through the same dilemma: I picked the 640 Pro-
It's heavier and with +P ammo, it's control label, and longer sight radius. Another plus is the longer ejector rod .

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
Right now if you want new I would do a 340 as they are the only 357 s&w makes right now that is offered as a no lock model which for a small magnuam gun I would want

I have messed with both ..Frankly I would not want to shoot 357 mag in a 340 it is a very light gun ..I have fired it in a 640 not bad but for me if I want to use 357 full loads in a 2inch gun I use a 686 or a Rhino

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you plan to pocket carry it (and practice often), then your choice should only be the 640, 640Pro or a 649. You'll appreciate the weight difference and durability a lot when firing it, but the extra weight won't be enough to stop you from carrying in a pocket. SS will also be a lot more durable finish in Fl. climate. Actually, IMHO I think the optimal pocket carry J frame would be a 640 with a set of CT laser grips. The night sights on the Pro are great, but the CT grips are IMO more useful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you plan to pocket carry it (and practice often), then your choice should only be the 640, 640Pro or a 649. You'll appreciate the weight difference and durability a lot when firing it, but the extra weight won't be enough to stop you from carrying in a pocket. SS will also be a lot more durable finish in Fl. climate. Actually, IMHO I think the optimal pocket carry J frame would be a 640 with a set of CT laser grips. The night sights on the Pro are great, but the CT grips are IMO more useful.
Springer99: Great points! My only "concern" is pocket carrying it in pants made from light material - such as suit pants.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A 13 oz gun even with standard .38 rounds is far from enjoyable. My Taurus clone of a Bodyguard is 16 oz empty, and after 50 rounds of ball plus 5-10 rounds of +P carry ammo, I'm happy to relax with a 1911 in

There's little that will dissuade you from ample practice more than a gun that hurts when you shoot it. For that reason alone, I'd shy away from the 340 and opt for the 640.
I've done a few range sessions with a 642 which is a 15oz .38spl, and didn't have any issue. I definitely understand that recoil can be harsh with any j frame, especially in .357 magnum.

My biggest thing is the ability to pocket carry the 640. With the 340 at 13oz, I feel I could take that anywhere - even in athletic clothes, but want to be able to put in a lot of practice with it and feel confident shooting it. It's really a tuff call between the two amd wish I could get both, but have to pick one for now...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Springer99: Great points! My only "concern" is pocket carrying it in pants made from light material - such as suit pants.
If you carry it in a small pocket holster a 23oz J frame won't print anymore than a 13oz. J frame. Weight should be your larger concern. Have you considered carrying in your jacket pocket or IWB when wearing a suit? It sucks, I know, but everything is a trade off. If you don't plan to shoot it often, then that 340 would be a better choice, weight-wise, but you won't be putting much "rangetime" in with it for sure(maybe with light 38Spl wadcutter rounds).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you carry it in a small pocket holster a 23oz J frame won't print anymore than a 13oz. J frame. Weight should be your larger concern. Have you considered carrying in your jacket pocket or IWB when wearing a suit? It sucks, I know, but everything is a trade off. If you don't plan to shoot it often, then that 340 would be a better choice, weight-wise, but you won't be putting much "rangetime" in with it for sure(maybe with light 38Spl wadcutter rounds).
Weight is definitely the big decider between the two. The 340 would probably be light enough to throw into a pocket in even athletic clothes from time to time if needed.

My current EDC only allows me to carry IWB, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at these two j frames.

I will put in a lot of Range time with either one. As a previous person stated, the 340 will be a bit harsher at the range. Although I'm confident that I would "suck it up" and still practice with the 340. Not saying it would happen, but I would hate to spend money on a gun that I somewhat dredged practicing with...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, I don't carry it. It's strictly back up for a home defense set up. I carry autos: Glock or Sig, Kahr. In CA, we have to list the firearms and qualify with them on the permit.

I am much more accurate and quick on an auto than JFrame. Also, reloads are incredibly fast.

My 640 backs up an MC Operator . Both sit by my bedside.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Weight is definitely the big decider between the two. The 340 would probably be light enough to throw into a pocket in even athletic clothes from time to time if needed.

My current EDC only allows me to carry IWB, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at these two j frames.

I will put in a lot of Range time with either one. As a previous person stated, the 340 will be a bit harsher at the range. Although I'm confident that I would "suck it up" and still practice with the 340. Not saying it would happen, but I would hate to spend money on a gun that I somewhat dredged practicing with...
Back in the day when the AMT Backup 380 was all the Rage my brother had one. When I saw it I couldn't live without it. Had to have it. He sold it to me. At the Range it was very accurate for a little gun. But, it hurt like hell to shoot. I tried to like it. After a short time I gave up. I thought I would probobly never have to shoot it but, if I ever did the first thing through my minde would be, this is going to hurt. If it wasn't a panick shot and was somewhat a planed shot wear I had time to aim, I would probobly flinch and pull the shot. I sold the gun.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Back in the day when the AMT Backup 380 was all the Rage my brother had one. When I saw it I couldn't live without it. Had to have it. He sold it to me. At the Range it was very accurate for a little gun. But, it hurt like hell to shoot. I tried to like it. After a short time I gave up. I thought I would probobly never have to shoot it but, if I ever did the first thing through my minde would be, this is going to hurt. If it wasn't a panick shot and was somewhat a planed shot wear I had time to aim, I would probobly flinch and pull the shot. I sold the gun.
I'm guessing you didn't even try the AMT Backup in .45 ACP. :wink:

To the OP, I agree with others who have said that shooting powerful rounds out of a light weight snubby is no fun, but there are ways to make it fun and rewarding, like practicing for speed at targets within 5 yards or less. :image035:

Reactions: jsferrazza
1 - 20 of 46 Posts