Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a S&W 642 and was always sorry it was gone, found a clean 642-2 today and shot it a few rounds. I am looking for carry ammo, the only +P 38 I have is Buffalo Bore 158 LSWC HP that I will use until I find some SD ammo, I got 150 rounds of Federal 158 lead rn with the 642.

I carry in the pocket or IWB appendix with a clip-draw, I really think the J-Frame is the easiest to carry, I had the Ruger LCR IN 357 it was a great shooter but larger than the 642 due mostly to the grip.

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
I had a S&W 642 and was always sorry it was gone, found a clean 642-2 today and shot it a few rounds. I am looking for carry ammo, the only +P 38 I have is Buffalo Bore 158 LSWC HP that I will use until I find some SD ammo, I got 150 rounds of Federal 158 lead rn with the 642.

I carry in the pocket or IWB appendix with a clip-draw, I really think the J-Frame is the easiest to carry, I had the Ruger LCR IN 357 it was a great shooter but larger than the 642 do mostly to the grip.
I have had both the 642 and LCR several times. While you are correct about the grip on the LCR, adding a Crimson Trace grip solves that problem, provides a laser for night time or other use, and gives the benefit of the LCR smoother and lighter trigger as well as lower weight without costing an arm and a leg like my Airlite did. I am a long time S&W guy but the LCR is now my carry snubnose. In fact, I own 2 of them. Used to be three but I traded it in to get an XDs which is now my big caliber pocket gun. :) The 642 is a classic and remains as S&W's biggest sellers despite all the take about semi autos over revolvers. I plan on getting another one as soon as I can find one for sale but until then, my LCR's are sweet guns to pocket and belt carry once you change the grips. BTW, you can put smaller grips on them without spending the money for CT grips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love my 642! It is in my carry rotation as well. I prefer it in a pocket holster, but sometimes carry it in an ankle rig when I wear scrubs. Enjoy yours!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Anyone lucky to CCW a j-frame is...lucky enough. Well Done!

Reactions: Haywood

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
I have one in the front right hand pocket right now.:yup:

Reactions: Haywood

·
Registered
250 Posts
The J fit my hand and pocket like few other guns. My LCPs have occasional issues. My 442 so far is a 100% reliable. There is something to be said about five for sure in a convenient package.

I will buy a 642 when the prices are normal again.

Congratulations on your purchase.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am looking for carry ammo, the only +P 38 I have is Buffalo Bore 158 LSWC HP that I will use until I find some SD ammo
If you can shoot those through your 642, then you're a better man than I. I put 2 rounds of that stuff downrange after I got my new 642 and promptly set the gun down. I had split the webbing open on my thumb with only 2 shots. I picked up some softer shooting +P Gold Dots for the rest of the trip and it was much better.

I keep the Buffalo Bore loaded in my steel framed Rossi. Doesn't bite near as hard on that gun.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you can shoot those through your 642, then you're a better man than I. I put 2 rounds of that stuff downrange after I got my new 642 and promptly set the gun down. I had split the webbing open on my thumb with only 2 shots. I picked up some softer shooting +P Gold Dots for the rest of the trip and it was much better.

I keep the Buffalo Bore loaded in my steel framed Rossi. Doesn't bite near as hard on that gun.
go to your local sports store and buy gel bike gloves. Use that for gun practice. My wife can go through a box of 38 special now. Now if SHTF, a cut web is the least of your worries...

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Registered
985 Posts
Great score. J Frames are nice.

I have a 442 incoming and I will likely use the Apex Tactical Spring kit.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Your Buffalo Bore ammo is just fine. The only upgrade I would suggest is Speer short barrel
Detail Page for Part # 23921

CDR- I put the Apex kit in mine. Some polishing on the rebound slide, and there is a noticeable improvement. Well worth the time and money.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Might I suggest a trigger kit for the 642 I did one and it got the pull down to 9lbs and it is soother now.

Installation of this kit reduces the trigger pull weight of your centerfire J-Frame Smith & Wesson Revolver from over 12 lbs to 9lbs.(they have DIY videos at the site)
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid49.html

Also recommend the J Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo, $27.75(helps with felt recoil and covers entire backstrap.
Product: J Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo

·
Registered
18,763 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

I carry in the pocket or IWB appendix with a clip-draw, I really think the J-Frame is the easiest to carry, I had the Ruger LCR IN 357 it was a great shooter but larger than the 642 do mostly to the grip.
What's there to say? It's your basic bread-and-butter j-frame snub.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a 442 for the last ten years ago or so. Before that it was a 36 and a 37.
My wife has a model 60 on her side of the bed.
A good snubbie revolver is great for carry and can be a great defensive weapon.
I carry mine in a Mika pocket holster or sometimes a leather belt holster if I am fishing or walking in the woods!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts