Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I can enlist your expertise on S&W's. Mine is not a carry gun. When I purchased it NIB back in the late 80's -early 90's it came to me as a 686-2 with a 8' Barrel, I had Bill Davis cut the barrel down to 6 3/8". My question is, have any of you seen another barrel milled for Millet scope rings come out of the factory? The dealer said it wasn't a special order and I haven't seen another like it. I have been to the S&W forum and I suppose I'm just not smart enough to post pics on it :confused: So any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rhome

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
If you have the original box there is a product code on the end. Looks like this one was made in 1989 only from what I can tell from my catalog. Product code would be 104251.

Not sure what else you may be looking for on the gun.

-Scott-

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Nice machining and I have no answers! Your barrel lacks the expected fine fluting lines along top, but suppose that could have been machined off - otherwise it looks like a usual full underlug 686.

Great guns and those ring mount machined areas are nice - supposedly all done to make a nice .357 hunting package..

·
Registered
813 Posts
That things a beast....I think I like it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I almost bought an 8" barrelled 686 with a barrel milled just like that a few months back. As far as I know it was a factory barrel.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm trying to find out if this was a special run from the factory and if so how many they produced. I've looked at tons of pics of S&W's and have never seen one. I know the gun is nothing special just curious I suppose. I wish I still had the box for it but the dreadfull ex through it away. Yeh, Roadrunner my 686 started life as a 8" barrel also, but when I started competing it's all I had, so I had the barrel cut to 6". The gun was accurate with a 8" bbl but after it was cut to 6" it is dead on accurate. I think I read somewhere that 6" is the optimum barrel lenght for a .357 mag.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Rhome said:
I'm trying to find out if this was a special run from the factory and if so how many they produced. I've looked at tons of pics of S&W's and have never seen one. I know the gun is nothing special just curious I suppose. I wish I still had the box for it but the dreadfull ex through it away. Yeh, Roadrunner my 686 started life as a 8" barrel also, but when I started competing it's all I had, so I had the barrel cut to 6". The gun was accurate with a 8" bbl but after it was cut to 6" it is dead on accurate. I think I read somewhere that 6" is the optimum barrel lenght for a .357 mag.
Not a special run, but a cataloged item. There is no definite info on how many were produced. You can contact S&W for a letter telling you about your particular gun, but it will likely contain the production numbers for all 8 3/8" 686s probably for 1989. It may also just list total production of 686s for 1989. The letter costs $35 and takes about 6-8 weeks. I have only lettered a few of my more collectable S&W revolvers. Click Here to go to the history request form

-Scott-

·
Registered
179 Posts
Very nice 686. Mine is a plain jane 4 inch six shooter. Nothing fancy, but I like it. I'm going to look at some Smiths tomorrow. I have that need for another wheel gun. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts