Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just walked out of the gun store and I was SOOOOOO close to walking out with a new S&W 908. Only problem is I know very little about the gun. The gun is brand new and priced at 529.00. I liked the feel and weight overall. I know that 3rd gen smiths are generally pretty decent quality but I haven’t heard much on the 908 which I think I heard was the budget model of the 3913 types. What do you think? Pull the trigger or no? Pro? Cons?

Edit - Forgot to ask. Are the 908's DA/SA in that first shot with the hammer decocked is double action and all shots after that are single action?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Too much money. These are usually in the $400 area.

Yes they are DA/SA, decocker,and a very sweet trigger at that, but you can find one cheaper.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm. Well I have checked both gunbroker and buds and havent been able to find one to really compare the price to :( Seems like they are pretty rare.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hmmmm. Well I have checked both gunbroker and buds and havent been able to find one to really compare the price to :( Seems like they are pretty rare.
You are correct they aren't very easy to find. I just did a Gunbroker smart search that showed three sold within the last 90 days, ranging from $379 to $399. Curiously one at $275 (BIN at $350), didn't sell. Go figure???

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I saw a used one listed on gunsamerica, for $489.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've always been a wheelgun fan, but ended up with a 908 kind of by accident. Texas requires CHL holders to qualify with a SA if they wish to carry a SA or revolver - qualify with a revolver and you can only carry a revolver.

So, anyway, not expecting to ever carry it, I walked in to my friendly local gun pusher and told him I needed a cheap SA pistol, he put a 908 in my hand and I went home to figure out how to run it. My last exposure to a SA was a M1911 in the military and this took some getting used to. I still flinch when I decock it, but it hasn't gone off, yet. <G>

Actually, the 908 has grown on me and I like it a LOT. Comforable to carry, shoots where it is pointed, and has been 100% reliable. Can't ask more than that.

The only real downside is a bit of plastic - 3 bits actually. The guiderod from a 3913 fits - about $8 from S&W. The disconnector is also plastic, but I'm not ambisious enough to take on the project. And - the biggy - is the rear sight is part plastic - and I managed to break it.

Figured while I was replacing the rear sight I might as well go to the 3913 sight, but S&W CS tells me that the 908 has a different dovetail than the 3913, and, in fact, they are not even sure if the 908 slide has enough meat to have the dovetail recut for the Novack sights on the 3913. Don't drop the thing and if you do don't let it land on the rear sight.

Overall, I've learned to love the 908 and am looking for a 3913 or 6906, but I'm keeping my 638 and the 908.

EDIT - almost forgot - the first round is DA and the rest are SA unless you decock it which would make it DA again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
$529 is too much. I'd look to a 3913 or a Chiefs Special 9mm and I wouldn't pay more than $400 for the 3913 or the CS9. The deals are out there, it just takes a while to find them.

A buddy of mine has the 908. Not a bad gun but I felt that the trigger and the overall feel of the gun was blocky and unrefined. Its hard to explain until you look at the 908 and the 3913 or CS9 side by side. I think its an okay gun but I'd rather carry the 3913 or my personal favorite the CS9. I think the big brother of the 3913 and the CS9 is the 3906 where one can use its 9 shot mags in the CS9 and 3913 and maybe the 908.

I guess what I'm saying is I would pass on it.

Shark

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
There are some great deals out there on the 3913 if you look and the other very close variants. Overall the 3913 is a better gun too, and much cheaper in the GB arena on average than your 908 price.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
It's a bit too much, and for us lefties, part of the conspiracy against us. Right hand safety only.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I agree too much for a 908. I just picked up a used one for $220 with 3 mags. Now it's not new, but it works.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Yeah, I too think the price is high... in that range I'd go for a SIG P-239! :wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is a bit high $$$. I'm looking at a M909 for CC. Try Davidson's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts