Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed how low the Bodyguard .380 has dropped in price? It can be bought all day long for 250. Wonder if this means another .380 is coming down the pike from Smith and Wesson. Ruger LCP's dropped in price over the last year and low and behold out comes the LCP II.

Reactions: Doogie

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Could be. The BG380 seems to be somewhat popular, but also a lot of folks don't like the trigger or nasty recoil. I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on a striker version and some sort of subtle redesign to soften the recoil.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Bought one and have only shot at range once. Don't like the trigger. I rather carry my Sig 238 and 938.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Bought one and have only shot at range once. Don't like the trigger. I rather carry my Sig 238 and 938.
Agree with this....tried a coworkers BG and did not like it!!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Smith and Wesson engineers were still stuck with revolvers when it came to triggers. The BG 380 has a thumb safety, so the 7.5lb trigger pull is redundant. It's probably one of the heavier pocket .380s out there, so it's less snappy than others in its class. Still, it's a snappy little bugger.

I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a second generation model that has a lighter trigger but with a more powerful hammer spring. The BG 380 would occasionally fail to fire hard primers on cheap cartridges. Mine really hates steel cased ammo.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Perhaps word has gotten around about how totally nasty they are to shoot and how they want to jump out of your hands with every shot - and demand has tanked. That tends to lower the price.

A couple at the indoor range a few weeks ago in a booth down a bit from ours came over to talk and tell me how well I shot. I asked her what she was shooting. Turns out it was a rented bodyguard. I said, "Here, shoot my Glock 42". She was awed at the enormous difference. She for sure won't be buying a Bodyguard!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Got to shoot my neighbor's Bodyguard the other day. Definitely not for me,,,didn't care for the trigger and just the feel in general. Can keep dropping price, I won't be buying.

Reactions: LeanHard

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Perhaps word has gotten around about how totally nasty they are to shoot and how they want to jump out of your hands with every shot - and demand has tanked. That tends to lower the price.

A couple at the indoor range a few weeks ago in a booth down a bit from ours came over to talk and tell me how well I shot. I asked her what she was shooting. Turns out it was a rented bodyguard. I said, "Here, shoot my Glock 42". She was awed at the enormous difference. She for sure won't be buying a Bodyguard!
The BG380 and all the guns in its class are designed first and foremost to fit the pocket, at the cost of shootability and comfort. Glock 42 is considerably larger than the rest of them, so it's far more shootable but harder to pocket. I still keep my Bodyguard because it's the gun I bring if I absolutely can't carry IWB, like when I dress up in a suit and/or expect a lot of hugging (weddings, funerals, etc.)

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Try a Sig 238 if you want a pocket pistol with a nice trigger or its bigger brother the 938.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The newer prices are all about increased competition... the LCP II just released, RM380, G42, etc. I have an M&P 380, no safety and use it now instead of the TCP because it started having unintended magazine drops. Personally, I don't mind a heavy trigger on a pistol in my pocket.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Seems to be a lot of hate for this pistol. I just bought one and I really like it. Very concealable. I've only shot 60 rounds through it and it ran flawlessly. A box of Fiochi and half a box of Federal Hydra Shock. Trigger was smooth, it had the capability of staging and it feels like it's quality for what it is.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I picked up a BG the day the OP started this thread. I also have a RM380 that I had picked up a few weeks prior. These two handguns are the only small .380's I have experience with. I have put 300 rounds through the RM and 150 through the BG and these are my thoughts on both.

The RM has gone bang every time I've pulled the trigger, and has also ejected every round. 150 rounds have been Remington UMC FMJ, 50 Remington UMC JHP, and 100 rounds of TULA steel case FMJ. I was worried about extraction/ejection because when I eject a live round by pulling back the slide, the round does not pop out of the ejection port like the rest of my autos. It just falls through the empty mag well. But so far I've had no issues. Every magazine I put through the pistol, groups tighten up. But that's a reflection on me being able to control the trigger with practice. I don't find the recoil objectionable but the first time I brought the gun to the range it was 80 degrees and the pistol squirmed around in my hand. The range trips since have been with temps around 45-50 and the pistol didn't move around in my grip with hands that were not sweaty.

Of the 150 rounds I've shot through the BG, 50 have been Remington JHP and 100 have been Tula steel case FMJ. The Remington ammo all fed, fired, and ejected properly. With the Tula I had 3 failures to fire on the first strike. The second trigger pull fired the round. I've had this issue with the Tula in other firearms as well and suspect the ammo and not the BG. Everything extracted and ejected. I did have the slide fail to lock open when the last round was fired 3 times. Once with the Remington ammo and twice with the Tula. The BG moved around in my hand more on both the hot day, and even when it was cool. I have fairly large hands and just could not get a decent grip on the BG. The first 100 rounds that I fired through the BG accuracy was non existent. Upon cleaning the handgun at home I discovered I could push the front sight out of the dovetail by hand. I tried some clear finger nail polish to hold it in but that only lasted about 30 rounds and then the sight started to walk again. The only reason I didn't use loctite was because I didn't have any on hand. I will try that next.

So far I am not very impressed with the Bodyguard. Once I get the sight to stay put and add some traction to the grip, my opinion may change.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just shot another 100 through the BG.380. Tula steel. Not one light strike or any ejection issues. I shot it a lot better than my 642, although when I put 5 rounds of BuffaloBore +P through it I was on target with it. Ill probably put the original grips back on it as it jumps around too much with the thin wood grips. My hand hurts after that also. I didn't find the BG to be snappy. It was fun to shoot and I got better with finger placement. It will be on my side. I trust it to go bang. My nephew has an original when they first came out and has never had a problem. I have a Ruger SR22 that I had to send back with slide issues. Never had a problem with it after that, but I'm sure it made me a little bias when it came to buying a S&W over the Ruger. Will the LCP2 have any issues?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts