Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a S&W Chief's Special 45. Looking for feedback. Looks like a great little compact 45! With a little time and effort I will find the right one.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I read a review in gun tests that said "the price and limited capacity kept its rating down, but it points and shoots as well as any gun we've tried". It was tested with a G30, G39, SAXD SCHC 40, Taurus PT145 January 2007. DA/Sa pistol averaging just under 800 fps, 2" groups @ 15 yds, 280 ft lbs of energy with 3 brands of ammo. "Little heavy, least fel recoil, gun carried with least printing..." Hope that helps... their reviews are good most of the time, can be subjective at times and don;t always include all the data or compare apples to apples but I like it as a resource and guide...

Reactions: BigShrek

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CMB. With respect to price I think I can find a used CS45 in excellent condition. I believe S&W discontinued that model back in 2005 or early 2008.

With respect to limited capacity, most of the compact 45s either have 6 or 7 round magazine. e.g. Kimber, STI, Springfield Armory etc. The exception may be the Para Hawg which has a mag cap of 10.

My impression is that the CS45 is indeed a reliable CCW. Let the hunt for my CS45 begin!

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Limited experience from me: I've only fired mine a few times at the end of a range session Saturday.

I had been thinking of getting rid of it due to its limited capacity, but I'll probably keep it now.

Compared to my XD-45 compact with the short mag in, they are almost identical in height and width. The XD is roughly 1/2" longer. Yet I give up 4 rounds with the CS-45.

The only advantage I see is the CS-45 will be easier to pocket carry.

I do like the way it shoots, but I'm not enthralled by its limited capacity. However, it does appear to be solidly built, I like how it feels, and I like its reputation of being reliable.

BTW, I found mine by googling "CS-45 for sale", and just got lucky. They are hard to find.

·
Registered
720 Posts
3rd. Gen Smiths are good guns.

I would buy and use a CS model without hesitation. You see a 9mm or a .40 around here upon occasion. The .45 acp, not as often.

·
Registered
651 Posts
A nice gun that seemed to just lay there. I always regretted passing up a .40 caliber when I had the chance. Actually the .40 was discontinued before the 9mm and the .45acp. Get it and let us have a look, please.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grady, although the CS45 may be limited in capacity, the stopping power of the 45 ACP makes up for the shortfall. I guess there are tradeoffs for everything. My 9mm S&W 6906 has lots of firepower with a 12 round magazine. Yet one shop stopping power on average is less than the mighty 45 ACP. I like to be able to say on a daily basis, "Uhm, let's see. What should I carry today? Wheel gun or semi-auto? Decisions Decisions!!!

Personally I think that the 3rd Generation S&W will be high demand becuase of their concealabiliity an of course reputation. I am glad that you decided to keep it!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Good luck in your search,it has a good rep, I will keep my eyes open as a peruse other forums at least every other day...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all! As soon as I acquire one, I will post photos! I am very excited on this new quest. By the way, Concealed Carrying my S&W 6906 9mm is a pleasure! I use an Uncle Mike IWB holster. Concealability is achieved with a nice thick sweater.

Concealed Carry is indeed a way of life.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I have one (S&W CS45) have had it for several years now. I sometimes "is" my pocket gun depending on what I"m wearing. Mostly Business casual or dress pants hold it fine.
Great little gun. A little heavy I know - not a plastic - but that's probably why very little felt recoil.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Army Cop. I was in Huntsville AL. Very beautiful country out there. I believe the weight of the CS45 is about 24oz.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Grady, although the CS45 may be limited in capacity, the stopping power of the 45 ACP makes up for the shortfall. I guess there are tradeoffs for everything. My 9mm S&W 6906 has lots of firepower with a 12 round magazine. Yet one shop stopping power on average is less than the mighty 45 ACP. I like to be able to say on a daily basis, "Uhm, let's see. What should I carry today? Wheel gun or semi-auto? Decisions Decisions!!!
Yes, I have this discussion with myself almost daily:

"For my BUG, do I want 13 9mm's with 17-round reloads, or 7 .45's with 6, 7, or 8 reloads?"

Then it gets even more complicated because I don't want to give up my .357 BUG that I ALWAYS carry. But that's another story.

Personally I think that the 3rd Generation S&W will be high demand becuase of their concealabiliity an of course reputation. I am glad that you decided to keep it!
They do have a loyal following, although somewhat limited due to the many other options on the market, coupled with the fact that most of the 3rd gens are not being produced any longer. I've read good reviews on many forums, also. That's one reason I decided to get a few. I have not been disappointed.

I'm pretty sure if I got rid of the CS-45, I'd regret it almost immediately.

I hope you can find one. If you continue looking, eventually you probably will. Good luck.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At 23 oz that is one little amazing gun. I am now looking daily to see what's available. Prices are too high for me. On average I am seeing about $500. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I've said the same thing recently about a S&W 3913, the 3rd Gen S&W autoloaders are among the BEST values available today in "out of production" CCWs. Stout, servicable, reliable, accurate...at a great price. What more could you ask?

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought my CS9 around 11 years ago and at that time the blued guns were the only one avaliable. I have carried it on my ankle as my BUG for the past 11 years while on duty and I also carry it as my off-duty gun. I don't have a problem with its capacity because I carry 4 back up mags :image035:

I have put a lot of rounds through 'ol realiable over the years and I have not have a FTF or a FTE with and I love my CS9. The holster wear marks on the front of the slide just add to its character. I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to sell me his CS45 just because I like the CS platform.

Good luck on your search. I will NEVER sell my CS9.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I went to my local gun store today and as soon as I walked in I immediately saw the CS45 in the bottom case. It was in good condition as it had noticeable wear on the slide. The price tag was $400 and the owner said he could sell for $350. If it was in Excellent condition I would have purchased it in a heart beat. The owner was funny. She said, "Man, when you walked in you were focused like a laser on that CS45!"

This gun is great! It is lightweight and the grip felt great. It did not feel bulky at all.

I have to say, as I am writing this thread I am wondering if I should purchase that gun.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, looks like I took the plunge and called my gun store to tell them I am gonning to put a deposit on the CS45 mentioned earlier in this thread!

I am going to place the deposit early next week since I am away on business. I am hoping the gun will still be available by the time I get there. The owner knew who I was and said, "Not to worry, It'll be here! Yeah, I knew you were hooked on that gun!"

I will provide photos once I have the gun in my possession.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts