Defensive Carry banner

S&W Has Entered the 5.7 Market

1041 Views 45 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  LimaCharlie
S&W 5.7 Gun

It's interesting that the round is finally taking off now. Interesting gun configuration. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the other options.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
21,919 Posts
Looks fun to shoot, but I wouldn’t use it for my edc. The same wicked grip as my Shield, but was easily fixed with a grip wrap. The price, well they like it more than I do, I’d want more bang for that much.

Reactions: Pete63

· Registered
11,339 Posts
If they spent as much time and effort making the products they already have right, they might not have to keep slinging mud against the wall hoping something sticks.
Flowing Sig who’s management, oddly, has been following Taurus since they were at Kimber.

· Registered
21,919 Posts
Flowing Sig who’s management, oddly, has been following Taurus since they were at Kimber.
To be fair, there is only so much you can do to a black gun to make it different. Mess with it too much and it’s no longer a gun but something somebody is gonna take offense with. You can always get fun colors, or attachments to spiffy it up but performance is where it’s at so I kinda expect them to look pretty much like that one, just bigger or smaller holes.

· Registered
25,675 Posts
This is like the fourth worthless piece they have introduced in about as many months.
First the CSX or whatever that nobody wanted, then that metal frame M&P that nobody asked for, and now this crap…..following FN and Ruger.

It seems like all they can do is copy what someone else has already done, or come up with something no one wants or asks for.

It seems to me that they would do better by introducing some of their older steel DA guns and improving their revolvers.

· Registered
11,339 Posts
To be fair, there is only so much you can do to a black gun to make it different. Mess with it too much and it’s no longer a gun but something somebody is gonna take offense with. You can always get fun colors, or attachments to spiffy it up but performance is where it’s at so I kinda expect them to look pretty much like that one, just bigger or smaller holes.
Classic Sig, you could get black, sometimes stainless, and a really nice nickel reverse two tone, or full nickel, but they always worked and were made with premium materials. I prefer that.

· Registered
21,919 Posts
Classic Sig, you could get black, sometimes stainless, and a really nice nickel reverse two tone, or full nickel, but they always worked and were made with premium materials. I prefer that.
Okay, I get what your saying. This may be a male brain and a female brain looking at a gun lol. So you like them shiny! Shiny is good 👍🏻 😁 Sparkly is even better than shiny!

• Haha
Reactions: OldVet

· Super Moderator
22,636 Posts
This is like the fourth worthless piece they have introduced in about as many months.
First the CSX or whatever that nobody wanted, then that metal frame M&P that nobody asked for, and now this crap…..following FN and Ruger.

It seems like all they can do is copy what someone else has already done, or come up with something no one wants or asks for.

It seems to me that they would do better by introducing some of their older steel DA guns and improving their revolvers.
I've heard some chatter from the competition guys about the metal-frame M&P, but I have yet to see any show up at the games yet.

· Registered
11,339 Posts
Okay, I get what your saying. This may be a male brain and a female brain looking at a gun lol. So you like them shiny! Shiny is good 👍🏻 😁 Sparkly is even better than shiny!
Nope, they are tools to me, I like them to work as needed, and last a long time with low maintenance.

· Registered
19,089 Posts

· Registered
10,988 Posts
Think of their flood of new gun owners who have little or no background experience...they'll start new fads and sell new ideas...they know those who made them prosperous are older and not their $$$ market now...traditional is a word their beancounters don't understand.

· Super Moderator
22,636 Posts
As I posted a few years ago, the 5.7 round fails to impress me. I shot a friend's pistol using soda cans and oranges as targets, and the 5.7 just blasted through them like needles. .22 LR solids blew sizeable holes through them and made then jump around!

· Registered
287 Posts
The 5.7, like so many firearms, has its own place.
One, it is low recoil and high capacity, so that may suit some people who are recoil sensitive.
If armor piercing or barrier penetration are important to you, hey, here it is.
However, it is really loud and ammo is expensive, so that may turn some people away.
It's not for me but neither are derringers or miniature revolvers.

· Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know that S&W is throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. It seems to me they are trying to increase their market share. The 4.6" 10 MM is a direct competitor for the Glock G20. They are not abandoning models like Taurus has in the past, and they are also making some improvements to the newer models.

While I am no fan of the 5.7 round, I do think the people running S&W are trying to do good things. In some of their lines at least.

They really do need to work on some of their revolver models. The clocked barrel issue needs to go away.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts