Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a S&W 642 with CT laser grips. I've heard nothing but rave reviews, especially here at DC. Anyone have this pocket revolver with CT grips that can shed some light on the felt recoil with standard .38 special rounds? How about with +p rounds?

Also, I have a Ruger LCP and love it, so if you could compare the felt recoil to that of the LCP that would be great as well. Thanks!

·
Banned
123 Posts
I have, shoot and carry a Non locking 642 wo/CT grip as an ankle BU gun.

Can't comment on recoil with the CT grip but with +P Powrball 100gr ammo recoil is very managable with non CT rubber grips from S&W.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Standard 642 here. Shoot 125g +p without a problem. My small 120lb gf shoots it. Some of my guy friends don't care for it. IT IS NOT A RANGE GUN. But to shoot 25 rounds once a month, is no problem. It's not for the recoil sensitive, but for an experienced shooter go right at it.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
No 642, but I do have a 340CT. With 38s its not bad at all but with .357s its a real handfull. Neither of them is a problem since this type gun is a personal defense weapon and not designed for a lot of target shooting. Mine is usually my BUG.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I don't feel the 642 is all that hot in the hand to shoot. Even touching off the +P in the little puppy isn't all that more noticeable. I guess it's all relative and what you are used to shooting. Don't be shy your collection needs a J-frame!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have a std 642, no CT grips and it's not bad at all with +P's...My 100lb wife shoots it without a problem. As stated it's not a range gun...A friend has a 642 with the factory CT grips and those do reduce the recoil somewhat... The factory grips are over sized and are a bit large for pocket carry, you may want to look at the LG-105's, they are smaller and can be carried easily in a pocket...

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Everyone is different, has different tolerances and perceptions. I consider myself exceptionally weak for a male and don't have a problem with J frames in general. My son, half my age and much stronger, can not stand them and complains they hurt his hand and wrist. The only sure way to know is borrow or rent one and try it.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I have a S&W 442 with factory non-laser grips (only difference is finish). It's a snappy little kick, but easily managable with a two-handed grip. Shoot it one handed and you'll feel it in your wrists after 5 rounds of +P. Like others have said, not a range gun buy any means but ideal for concealed carry. I consider personal defense range to be "across the room" and a majority of situations will not require more than 5 shots. Everyone needs a good snubbie.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have a 337 J-frame with CT grips installed; it weighs in the neighborhood of 9 oz. (scandium). It is lighter in recoil than my LCP using +P ammo.:yup:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Managable, maybe about the same jolt as your LCP. But not something you'd want to be firing a 100 rds at a time at the range.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
i am a old model 36 guy. recoil is relative. what is recoil to you might not be recoil to me. think of it this way. at the range you will shoot 98% of the time with some type of reduce loads, like 148gr wad cutters. you will shoot maybe 5 or 10 rounds of the +p stuff. when it hits the fan you will not feel the recoil, you will pull the trigger as fast as you can. you feel recoil at the range, not when it hits the fan. so, buy the gun, you will like it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
recoil

+1 for above
I had a 36 when I first started CC. I shot hand loads for practice, and Federal nylon 125 Gr HPs for carry. The difference in recoil was noticable but not objectionable. I could double tap in less than a second. I was skinny then, and weighted 130#.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I carry the S&W 642 without the Crimson grip for years and basically carry this in the hot summer months or a quick throw in the old pocket anytime. Main load for this weapon is the Federal Hydro-Shock 125 grain +P HP. Great load with a controllable recoil.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
My J frame is mod 60. It is probably heavier than what you are looking for, but it is real comfortable to shoot. That's why I went with the mod 60. It has weaseled it's way into my everyday carry.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Love the 642. Stock trigger was a little heavy for me. I had a gunsmith loosen mine up "a little" He also smoothed the action. As it's a carry gun, I wanted to make sure he didn't loosen it up too much (as you certainly don't want any light primer strikes). Recoil is no big deal if you grip the gun properly. I really don't notice too much of a difference in recoil between standard velocity and the +P. It's snappy with both loads. Not a range gun, but then again that's not why I bought it. You need a snub in your collection...go for it. Pocket carrys like a dream in a DeSantis Nemesis too.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The snub 38 and LCP are going to feel pretty close in the recoil department. If you are VERY recoil sensitive you can adjust your revolver load to a 110 or lighter JHP or use Wadcutter Target ammunition as an alternative.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have a well used 37-2 Airweight. Its an exposed hammer Airweight J-frame (mine is a bobbed DAO) and I have the CT 405 grips on it. My carry ammunition is 158 grain LSWCHP (+P). With that ammunition is pretty stiff in the recoil department, but in fairness, it doesn't feel like much more recoil than standard pressure .38 Special ammunition. In order to make the gun pleasant to shoot I have to load it with my 148 grain wadcutter handloads that are running a sedate 516 fps average out of the snubbie.

I could shoot the gun a lot longer on the range (though its not a range gun IMO, at least not with anything hotter than my WCs), but the cylinder latch tends to cut me open after shooting 25 or 30 rounds of ammunition that is anywhere near full power. I'm sure that could be solved with a different grip, but my grip works for me and I'm confident that if I am ever forced to actually use the Airweight for its intended purpose that 1) I won't fire enough ammunition to cut myself open and 2) in the event that I do, if I'm still alive to worry about a cut on my thumb then I've come out ahead.

Here is a picture of my Airweight, its actually got a lot more finish wear than is visible in the photo but its still going strong:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I carry a very similar rig as what Landric showed above, mine is a M&P340 with the same CT grip - I will add that the "pad" on the rear of the grip is a life saver shooting quals with .357 loaded. For range time .38s in pretty much any weight are piece of cake to shoot 1-200 rounds out of. The 125 grain Gold Dot .357's kick like a mule, I like em but not many others do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts