Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently carry a Glock 26. I was in the toy store and they showed me a Smith Wesson M&P 9mm with adjustable back straps. The one they showed me had the medium back strap on it but the clerk said there was a smaller one that came with it.

I have small hands and the Smith felt a lot better to grip than my glock and with a thinner backstrip it would be even better. My glock is a little fat for me. Plus the smith holds more rounds.

But other than the size I have been happy with my glock. goves ban every time I pull the trigger. I can shoot decent patterns with it. but having a few more rounds and a thinner grip is attractive.

So I am thinking about getting the Smith for my carry gun. any thoughts would be appreciated.

As long as I am thinking of changing anything else about the same size I should consider? I have a Kahr K40 which I really like but it only holds 6 rounds. But it fits real good.

thanks

·
Registered
885 Posts
I used to own a couple of Glocks, but now I'm up to five M&P's. I found that I shot much better with the more natural grip angle and the better ergonomics of the M&P. All five of my M&P's have been flawless through thousands of rounds between them. My son also sold his two Glocks to fund the purchase of two new M&Ps about a year ago and has been happy since.

My current M&P Stable:

M&P40 FS
M&P357 FS
M&P9c
M&P9 Pro Series (x2)

How can you go wrong with a beauty like this?

M&P9 Pro Series

·
Registered
192 Posts
get the M&P, you wont be sorry, I have three so far, after you use it a little you will only use the glock for a paperweight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm bouncing between a Glock 23 and a S&W M&P 40 at the moment. I went to the gun shop and held both today. I'm leaning toward the S&W. It just feels "right".

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Glocks are junk. Tell you what, I'll give you $100 for that G26 so you don't have to deal with that ugly thing any more. No need to thank me... :image035:

On a serious note, you should carry what you can shoot comfortably and demonstrate proficiency with. M&Ps are excellent pistols.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went through the same scenario - ended up with the M&P9FS. It just fits better than the Glock for me. I have many, many rounds through my M&P - it has been trouble free since I took it out of the box. I've added CTC grips (fit like the medium backstrap, which is what I was using already) and a TLR-3 light. It is my primary HD gun.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I'd keep the Glock, seeing that you're asking, but only you know what feels the best in your hand. If you do buy another gun, DO keep the Glock because you WILL be back.:yup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Both are excellent pistols, I currently carry an M&P 40 on duty and a Glock 27 off duty, shoot well with either, it's really just a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can't offer an opinion on Glock either way --- never owned one, never shot one. I do own three S&W M&Ps, and they have performed flawlessly. Do your homework, and I think you'll find an overwhelming majority that have observed the same.

Best advice (already given): carry whatever reliable brand that feels the best in your hand, and that you shoot accurately. Fortunately we live in a day and age where there are many very good firearms to choose from.

-Seawolf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there any safetyies on the M&P 9? Is it carried loaded cocked and locked like a single action 1911? or is it like my glock, loaded but uncocked double action?

I don't want to have to fiddle with safetyies. I just want to point, pull trigger and go bang.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'd keep the Glock, seeing that you're asking, but only you know what feels the best in your hand. If you do buy another gun, DO keep the Glock because you WILL be back.:yup:
Hey Retsupt99 I thought you were a 1911 man, and I hope you did not sell them because I bet you WILL be back also:image035:

But back on track, I have a G30 and like it alot, but I just bought my wife the M&P 9c and handled several pistols before I picked out her gift, and I have to say the M&P did feel the best of all of them. We have not got to shoot it yet but everyone says they are a great gun.
Although it does not feel as good as the 1911 LOL!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Are there any safetyies on the M&P 9? Is it carried loaded cocked and locked like a single action 1911? or is it like my glock, loaded but uncocked double action?

I don't want to have to fiddle with safetyies. I just want to point, pull trigger and go bang.
You can get it with or without a thumb safety.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have small hands too
and recently bought the M&P9c

It fits my hands even better than my S&W 3914
and "shoots better than I do"

I shot the "Baby Glock", small XD and S&W9c
back to back in a single range session

I liked the M&P the best of the three
So thats what I purchased

I am confident you won't be disappointed with the M&P

·
Registered
281 Posts

M&P's are similar to glocks in terms of safeties except that the striker is almost fully cocked in condition 1. They claim it's a DAO gun but really it's not. The trigger is very single action-esque.

I own a full size gun right now and will be picking up a compact in the near future. I've got about 2k trouble free rounds down the pipe and absolutely love the thing.

I tried glocks when I was purchasing and just didn't like the angle and size of the grip.

Another good design feature is that you don't have to pull the trigger to take it down.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Keep the glock and don't look back.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Keep the glock....and you like Kahr, get a P9. One of the most natural feeling handguns I have ever felt. They are right as far as Glock goes..."resistance is futile". You will come back to the dark side.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
I understand your grip problem with Glocks because I have the same problem. The M&P line works for a lot more people because of the interchangeable grips. The triggers are good and very reliable guns.

The full size M&P has the 4.25" barrel and longer grip so will be harder to conceal to say the least. But the compact is a 3.5" barrel and the size is right in between a Glock 26 and 19 but with the grip easier to conceal based on its shape.

I carry a M&P 40 compact as my primary and it is a great little gun. Try the compact size (note: the full size mags fit and you can get a grip filler for it). :yup:

·
Registered
500 Posts
My M&P 9c shot well for me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a G19 and M&P9C. I love and enjoy shooting them both. I carry my M&P though. Its just whats more comfortable for me, and the best fit for carry proposes. I like the 26, but its too small for my hand, and I dont like the size of the grip widthwise, So I dont plan on buying one anytime soon.

My opinion is run with the best gun that fits you. rent one and shoot it a lot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts